BSOD Session Server

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by starfish_001, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I have now managed to reboot the damaged snapshot 3 times without error so far

From what I can see from the boot process below. My system was failing some where toward the end of the session manager bit which could mean:

• A PendingFileRenameOperations operation
    • or a driver set to auto. VSS loads late during this phase.
    • So I have 2 suspect causes for my problem or maybe a combination.

My process for fixing the snapshot
    - delete snapshot - create empty - import the archive - boot snapshot in safe mode - boot in normal # not booting striagght to normal was important

Once the system had BSOD once it could refreshed again but seemed to retain some of the changes - so it did not appear to be completely refreshed from the archive - not sure why but this was what worried me most.

For now ShadowProtect is not on the system anywhere

I have now changed to RSS in this snapshot - does this auto copy to all snapshots or does it need to be installed in all snapshots.

2. starfish_001

That's a useful tip

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Starfish

I just installed RSS once in primay. That was it.

Pete

4. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Pete. Have just changed over to RSS because of you. Guess who gets the blame if it doesnt work....:D

5. Peter2150

LOL. I am not to worried. Biggest problem is getting the typing right.

6. starfish_001

I guessed that it might - I tested it last night and it copies over boot in each snapshot

7. starfish_001

May be a nice little tip

Copy and paste to the cmd window by right clicking top border - then choose edit - paste - repat for each line

8. Peter2150

Thanks. I just hope you are getting everything straightened out.

9. starfish_001

Thanks ..
    Only time will tell now - I have passed the details to Raxco to see if this is a VSS clash.

10. Peter2150

I may do some testing on this an see if I can find a clash.

11. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Starfish_001,

I ask on the shadowProtect forums if there was any conflict between FD-ISR and SP with reference of a few threads heres.
    There answers was :
    "Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing. I think there may be some interoperability issues between ShadowProtect and FD-ISR. We're going to have to test this out.

I do know of one user who uses FD-ISR a lot but he usually backs up using only the ShadowProtect Recovery Environment CD instead of installing ShadowProtect."

If there is some interoperability problem between FD-ISR and SP, I hope they will work together to solved that issue...

Hope it can helps,
    Atomas31

12. starfish_001

Peter uses both SP and FD but uses RSS rather than VSS in FD.

I have contacted both sets of support they did not seem to be aware of the problem. I have send more info and will post any results

If using FD change to RSS before even thinking about installing SP. And take an image before even starting

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Looking forward to responses re this issue.

As an extra Q: if I change VSS > RSS, will my snapshots in FDISR update/copy as per usual?

Does the " new compressed snapshot" function operate in RSS?

Thx

14. Peter2150

Don't know about the compressed snapshot function I've no interest in it. Other than that all I do with FDISR has worked as usual with RSS.

Pete

15. starfish_001

Pretty sure it does - I have one - I will check tonight

16. starfish_001

Seems to work fine - I copied one to archive without error

17. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Yeah, RSS will work in any mode. It's only a Copy Engine. The only difference is that it'sa Raxco version of MS VSS Volume Shadow copy Service

I had so many issues w/ Shadow Protect & FD-ISR, I needed to format HDD & re-install WinXP on my laptop. Whata drag :(

Well for the time being (until FD-ISR & SP are compatible) I'm going to stick w/ ATI for my imaging. I just can't take all the fuss of futzin' around w/ these two apps butting heads.

...screamer

Oh, BTW: Pete, Disk Director was able to recover the lost hdd space. It took several different operations & considerable time, but it's dooable :)

18. Peter2150

Cool.

19. starfish_001

I said that I would post any support reply from either vendor

Raxco have exchanged emails on a daily basis and have said they will do some internal testing - provided some advice but not yet completed

Storagecraft have sent me this reply and been less than supportive - given the problem happened after installing SP

An answer that leaves me rather confused as Session Manager (Smss.exe) is part of ms xp pro. From my experience Shadowprotect is not comp with Raxco FD when it uses VSS.

20. Peter2150

Hi Starfish and everyone.

In looking at the logs apparently the problem with SP and FDISR, is when FDISR prepares to copy, there are some kind of permission problem, that results in FDISR not being able to scan the source directory. As a result it assumes the source is empty and thus proceeds to empty the target.

What Starfish got is sort of the "official" response, but I've been working with SP folks on this and today, I am going to do some in depth testing, to try and pinpoint the exact problem.

In the interim there are two excellent work arounds First is switch FDISR to RSS. I've done that anyway as it cuts out the delay when FDISR starts VSS up. This allows the Desktop version to be installed, and allows using all the desktop features if you want. The 2nd option should you really want FDISR to work in VSS, and don't mind do manual backups, is to uninstall the Desktop version, and then image from the Recovery CD.

My choice is actually switch FDISR to RSS, and use the Recovery CD.

Honestly I think it worth the effort, as, well I don't have to say why I think FDISR is worth it, but with all the testing on imaging I've been doing I also think Shadow Protect is worth it. It is in my mind the premier imaging program, in terms of speed, and reliablity. I use it on both my business machines, and give as much thought to restoring an image, as I do to opening Word.

Stay tuned.

Pete

21. screamer

Pete,

I don't think that imaging from the Recovery CD is really a workaround. I tried this with FD-ISR using RSS and still FD-ISR failed. It would "only boot to primary snapshot". I tried Secondary SS and an Archived SS. Which acted like it was actually booting to the designated SS e.g. no pre-boot visible during boot process. Alas when all was said and done. Only the primary was restored.

...screamer

22. Longboard

Having first broached the FDISR/ShadowProtect combo here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=146338
    I have been following these threads and the increasing profile of SP as time goes by.

It may be, and despite all the terrific help grnxnhm has been giving us here, there is little interest in a few home users with some obscure software from Raxco. That may just be commercial reality. :doubt:

Now if you had 300 servers running SP and FDISR that might be different :blink:

Too bad really, between the end users here and grnxnhm we could probably add quite a lot to Storagecraft's kb and maybe even userbase.

I personally have at least 20 associates who run between them, businesses turning over a total > $40 mill pa: they are always on the lookout for up to date back-up systems that don't require exorbitant service contracts and/or are easy for themselves to manage on site. They each have well and truly recognized the need for redundancy. (Each of them has up to 10 employees with various combos of working computers at home and as part of subcontracting businesses and so it goes...)

They have up to now universally gone with word of mouth recommendations as they have built their businesses but now may be requiring something more effective than what they have and their IT budgets are expanding.
    That group has its own circles of associates and so on..

I have any number of friends with households of up to 10 working lap/desktops who (heh believe it or not :D ) might ask me for software recommendations...

I am sure I am not alone in either respect on this forum.
    Storagecraft ignore/disrespect the "little guys" at their peril.

Having said that:
    This sounds very encouraging. I hope something will come of it.

Regards.

Absolutely no disrespect intended to grnxnhm who has championed his wares with style, patience, grace, and expertise. He has responded to every saddle burr we have raised, and certainly managed to raise the StorageCraft profile here.

There are other great recovery tools available that do work with FDISR (or not), grnxnhm has kept me interested in the development of SP.

Regards again. ;)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  23. Peter2150

It may relate to the restore options you use. What I do is once I have the restore destinations in front of me, I right click on the destination drive, and select Delete Volume. That leaves it unallocated, and also it showes unformatted. I then right click it again, and select create exact primary partition. Then you can check the box, and go on. I then select the make partition active, restore MBR from image, and restore track 0. Have never had any problems with FDISR doing it that way.

Pete

24. screamer

You may be correct, But I was unable to restore image to unallocated space. It was as if it was "lost in space". My unallocated spaced showed as NTFS, not un-formatted? In any case, when I have the time to do a re-format & re-install WinXP again, I'll give it a try. My wife gets pissed when I stay up all night w/ the computer. She feels neglected and says I need a 12 Step program . hehe... Let's hope these companies come to a reasonable solution before that.

...screamer

25. Longboard

I assume this is equivalent to replacing the "c" drive partition and requires no physical moving around of the restored partition or changes to boot.ini ??

Hoo: Pete; that shows some faith. !!
    Heh; knowing you you have at least one other back-up :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.