BSOD Session Server

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by starfish_001, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I tend to agree ...

I have tended to use ATI or Paragon DriveBackup but they both either have the odd problem or feature missing

I have been playing with the SP recovery disk and the new beta recovery disk for the last month and had got to the point thinking I might buy SP. So I installed the windows component. It did not work - I raised a support ticket heard nothing for a couple of days tried again - it did not work (apparently did not like my FD mbr - odd).

First defense continued to work until I un-installed SP. And then many of my snapshots and archives no longer booted. I raised another support ticket.

And received no helpful advice ..... just and answer that says yeah it does not work. From what I can make of it with this type of problem most people seem to reinstall windows..

True Raxco did not provide an answer either but they have provided some helpful tips and are currently testing this problem

No disrespect intended to grnxnhm or Peter because they have provided lot of interesting details about SP and imaging in general.

My position has moved from I'll buy this ... after I have made a couple of images from inside windows ...... to no chance not on my machines.

For now I'm going back to ATI or Paragon - products that have some problems but responsive support

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Screamer, I had the exact same problem, my solution? I bought her a computer for her very own ... now I'm starting to feel neglected! :doubt:

Acadia

3. screamer

screamer Registered Member

hehehe... Been there, Done that!

She works on a computer all day at work. The last thing she wants to see when shes home...

Believe it or not, shes serious about the twelve step program. She swears I'm addicted. Unfortunately, shes right. I tell her that I gave up drugs, I don't drink, I never go out w/ my friends, e.g. titty bars... I need to have some vices. ;)

...screamer

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Exactly. Well the faith comes from doing it over and over again. However I do believe in a layered approach. Although clumsier, the FDISR solution is definitely a fall back, which also has been tested.

5. screamer

Pete,

I figured that perhaps having the Dell "extra" partition might have had something to do w/ my SP problems. Since I deleted this partition the other day, I thought I'd try SP again. (I know I said I'd wait)
    I followed your above directions to the "T". I did see a different option when I deleted my "C" partition. It said "Exact copy of partition" great so far. I selected this and proceeded to copy my .spf to C. I got to 1min 36sec and the SBRun error Terminated un-expectedly. Grrrr. Laptop cannot find anything to boot. It successfully completes POST, but then I get the error that it cannot find a boot device. I tried boot from hdd first, no joy. Well in the interim I'm re-storing C w/ an ATI image I took this morning. I just wonder if FD-ISR will be effective on the ATI image. It wasn't the last time I restored ATI image after using SP. We'll see. I'll keep you all posted.

...screamer

6. screamer

Well, ATI restore was a complete success. Same drive size, FD-ISR boots to any snapshot.

Guess I better leave SP alone for a while.

...screamer

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

ATI works
    FD-ISR works

Is there any real reason to want to run SP then ? or do you just have a death wish ? :D

8. screamer

I've been askin' myself the same question ;)

...screamer

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

What version of ATI are you guys using? Thanks.

Acadia

10. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I have had problems with ATI in the past although Acronis seem to have a good build now

SP is very fast vs Acronis .....Corporate v9.1

death wish ....... just looking for a better solution

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  11. screamer

ATI Home V9 build 3854

...screamer

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Longview LoL

You should have said
    ;)

It's the reason I have not gone ahead with SP since initial spec-out. There may be some advantages to SP but:

- IFW/BING and FDISR are my anchors and cables so far. (was ghost/goback in the past)
    - Now we see V3 of SP released soon
    -except for grnxnhm, the 'support' for SP seems a little 'thin' for single users and the implication from what I can see so far is that "the user is at fault" or "bad luck" still we all know mmv from box to box.
    (Very different to many other utilities we discuss at Wilders.)

Quite frankly I am a bit disappointed in v1.8 ( the new one)of BING released this week.
    Was hoping for some enhancements wrt imaging/incrementals/ differentials.
    The main change has been to set up Vista compatibility, with little else apparent. LOL should have seen the postings here and there re "please dont change too much" Still , apart from maybe sometime saved, The Terabyte stuff more than does the job. I have no fear of TU by now and am at ease with the useage of the three utilities.

Might be time to go and get eval/reeval version of SP for a little drive.
    (ATI still makes me nervous.)
    FDISR not going nowhere.

Will just wait while the VSS issues is sorted.
    I want my learning curve for SP if I go ahead to be as short and flat as possible. Thanks to you all for posting these issues as they arise.

Wrt FDISR: I know, I know, it seems to work well together with RSS.

Hah: also forgot to tell you all a little story: Went to work last MON, 0900 Secretary was just ringing me to tell me there is a message on the screen which is now black and white: Unable to Boot volume. This message was acc0mpanied by a loud clicking in the HD bay: HD kaput. :gack: No warning: just phut. (HD and box was ~4 1/2 yrs old.)

Of course this was the week I was planning a HW upgrade. :ouch:

Had all the data I needed for the business on my USB Stick and USB external HD.
    (Had full image made last week ;) )

Ring the shop: make new box with new HW; clean install of XP Pro and then I arrived with BootIT and external USB: restore; and back up within 3 hours of HD failure. (heh; pen and paper in the meantime: really quite good lol )

So what ever you do, it is important and you will need it at some unexpected time.
    Do some fire drills.
    Have a strategy for software bork and HW flame out.

Thanks to the contributors here for getting me to that point. :cool:

Regards.

13. screamer

@ "Do you have a death wish"

I really think not. Hopefully someone has learned from my experience / experiment.

With a Dell (restore) partition you get a different set of SP Re-store options.
    1) put partition at beginning of free space on disk
    2) put partition at end of free space on disk

W/O Dell Partition
    1) Create exact partition

With Dell Partition
    1) Unallocated space shows up as NTFS for main partition and FAT for Dell and doesn't allow you to re-format although it requires re-format to proceed (this is where I lost all my hdd space. I needed to select a smaller {available} partition to re-store to)
    The only way to accomplish this was to split my 91GB hdd in half.

W/O Dell Partition
    1) Unallocated space shows full hdd as un-formatted and allows you to select it to Re-store partition.

Since all I wanted to do was to check out SP restore I didn't delve into every available option. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. I'm not into dizzying arrays of options to preform a simple task.

In my last experiment w/ SP W/O Dell Partition I followed Pete's procedure. It's simple enough... Unfortunately SBRun crapped out. I'm confident that this was not a fault of mine.

Which still leaves us w/ the question: Will FD-ISR & SP coexist?

After my first failure, I reported this to SP. I received a reply: I think there must be some interop issues between ShadowProtect and FD-ISR...

They "are" looking into the incident.

...screamer

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Just joshing and yes I have. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.