Ad-Aware 11 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LS Andy, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Any comment on Ad-Aware's incompatibility with Malwarebytes Andy? Any chance they could fix that?

2. LS Andy

LS Andy AV Expert

Not immediately, but I can talk to QA about it. Can you give me the following info via PM? I can file a bug report on your behalf.

1. Version of Ad-Aware
    2. Version of MBAM
    3. MBAM installer location (download URL)
    4. Operating System
    5. Steps to reproduce
    6. Any additional info you think would be relevant, like screenshots,logs, etc.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. ibracadabra09

ibracadabra09 Registered Member

Ad Aware working great for me but please replace toolbar with browser plug in, like BitDefender, Avira Browser Safety, Avast and other "normal" companies.

4. Pirate_fin

Pirate_fin Guest

Does it work on Windows 8.1?

5. ibracadabra09

ibracadabra09 Registered Member

Yes, I'm using Win 8.1 RTM.

6. LS Andy

LS Andy AV Expert

We're considering alternatives to using a toolbar/browser plug in. There's something in the pipeline that you might prefer: http://www.lavasoft.com/products/adblocker.php

Please be aware that it's just an alpha i.e. not all features have been implemented and there are no guarantees regarding stability. Probably best to test it out on a VM rather than your production machine.

If your choose to install on a production machine and it blows up, evaporates or launches itself into space without warning, well, you were warned. If that happens, take a picture and I'll post it on our Facebook page.

Feel free to PM me with comments - I'll forward them to the development team.

Andy
    Lavasoft Malware Lab

7. m0use0ver

m0use0ver Registered Member

Sorry i think you misunderstand the money trail with regards toolbars regardless of whether they are opt in or opt out at point of delivery.

You have to follow the money trail. Your personal data(search's, browsing habits has monetary value to many different parties).

When a company installs a Toolbar and offers free toolbar with functionabilty its not what it can do for you but what it collects from you that people over look or misunderstand.

For example good old Lavasoft will be receiving a pay per install commission for each toolbar that an end user installs from the original Toolbar suppliers.

The next question is why do they get commission and the obvious answer is your data has a monetary value to the toolbar creators first and foremost.

Next up all toolbars not only send data back to original toolbar creator they also collect data for the client because again the end users data can be monetized by both parties.

Whether harvested data is only used inhouse or sold to 3rd parties is usually worded around by saying is non identifiable data when sold onto 3rd parties (yet its your surfing habits\searchs etc). Its all very big business with big $'s swapping hands.

Personally i expect this from Microsoft, Google and such(they have done for yrs and our prolific at it) and so on but from security companies that are ment to protect your security and privacy this seems to go totally against the grain.

Read again, I did not say they were Adware but were very much created to remove Adware type programs and data harvesting toolbars that were on end users computers and the AV's of the day were either ignoring or struggling to keep up with.

They were also created to conquer homepage hijackers where the end users homepage gets changed to the benefit of where ever the new homepage is set. Kind of ironic a few versions back their default install was setting Behko as the end users homepage << Once again what they once stood up for to remove from peoples computers they went onto to do themselves.

No your quite right there unfortunately but fundamentally does it make right just because others have gone down that same money trail ?

Not that data harvesting is murder it is just hidden money making for these companies but over the years there has been quite a few murderer's but that don't justify or make murder right at the end of the day.

If in the security field you wish to present yourself as the good guys and acting in the interests of all your users/potential users etc then monetizing data collected from peoples computers whilst claiming to be protecting it really is plain wrong in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  8. Congrats to Ad-Aware, it is really fast

All AV's were installed with on execution component only (when possible, all other protections disabled). Some (like Panda can't be installed for on execution only) 10 startups of chromium with AppTimer.

1. No AV = 0,36 sec (average startup time)
    2. Ad-Aware Free = 0,38 :thumb:
    3. BitDefender Free = 0,41
    4. F-Secure Free one Year = 0,41
    5. Avira Free = 0,42
    6. MSE Free = 0,42
    7. Panda Free =0,62
    8. Avast Free 2014 RC2 = 0,64 (Avast 8 = 0,44)
    9. AVG Free = 0,67
    10. Fortinet Free = 0,68

Different setups may result in different startup delays. This delay is so minimal, I first thought it installed incorrectly? Checking with Process Explorer the CPU usage of the Ad-Aware service executable, allways stays below 1% CPU usage (with no local file checks), with local file checks it stays < 10%. Clocked Chrome starts with AppTimer with everything off except (see pic)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
  9. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! m0useOver...I wholeheartedly...agree with your critique. Excellent point counter point...nicely delivered...and without malice. Well done. Sincerely...Securon

10. ejlmd

ejlmd Registered Member

When adding folders (paths) to the Managed Exclusions list, are their contained subfolders automatically included as well, or do they have to be separately added to the list?

11. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Ad-aware on win 8 pro with wmc 64bit does not work and is incompatible. It gives update failure at the installing stage as it can not update the install program.

In windows 7 ultimate it slowed down to crawls and very heavy.

12. ance

ance formerly: fmon

How often does it update? :doubt:

13. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I think 1 hour is the minimum setting.

14. Win7 ultimate 32 bits here, it was the fastest/lightest AV I have ever tried o_O Only issue I had (when I ran it) was the hourly updates not coming. Did a second check, again only 7-8% added to unsigned program startup of Chromium. Update issue not fixed yet either see pic. When I press manual updat it actually downloads signatures, so it is unlikely just a reporting issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013
  15. testsoso

testsoso Registered Member

i got blank desktop/no desktop after install ad-aware 11 free antivirus+ in win 7 64 bit.

the install take a long time, and than ask me to reboot, after reboot and logon, only a blank desktop, no wallpaper, no icons, i open task manager, it shows only very few service are running. the most services are stopped.

i tried to uninstall it in safe mode but it failed...

what can i do? is there any uninstaller for ad-aware?

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Did you have any other antivirus installed?

17. testsoso

testsoso Registered Member

i had avira free before but uninstalled before i try this one. finally i uninstalled it from the safe mode, after that i have losed internet connection, and in the windows managment shows the drivers are inactive, after reinstall network driver, the problem was solved.

18. aztony

aztony Registered Member

That was a real howdy do for ya, glad you're back up and running. If you encounter another situation again where safe mode fails to uninstall, try system restore.

19. gery

gery Registered Member

guys i can not find the option to update it manually . i am blinded here

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

testsoso. Greetings

Allow me to offer a fallback method for future issues just like this one. Failing no image to restore before installing any new release AV's and avoid this present delay from issues, you should download tweaking.com Registry Backup and schedule it to do daily automated registry backups and manually do a VSS reg backup before taking gambles with any AV's.

That way if a severe conflict does happen to result after a bad install and disrupts normal operation you can either boot into Recovery Console and run the RegBackup cmd restore file or boot with a Live Linux CD and hand copy the saved registry backup files it makes to regain normal functions again before the issue happened.

Hope it helps the next time.

Regards Easter

21. ance

22. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Any news on this? Is it compatible with Malwarebytes yet?

23. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

•Normally published in their $ub$cription report: free VB100 charts! Posted up by the developer:
    -http://www.lavasoft.com/products/compare.php-

For all LS Ad-AdAware installs:

•Skip the toolbar install if you want to.
    FYI: this is what it does...
    -http://toolbar.lavasoft.com/-

For systems with MBAM...
    •At the MBAM conflict dialogue, continue & complete the Compatible Install.
    •In the Home screen, click on the blue "Install" text for Real Time Protection.
    •Ignore warnings, continue with additional downloads, reboot.
    •Add folder path exceptions to MBAM for Ad-Aware & vice versa.
    •Enjoy with MABAM & MBAM Pro.

As of this posting, uses Bitdefender bdcore.dll v11.0.1.6.
    If def updates are set to 1 hour (default), sigs are updated as soon as Bitdefender releases them, even in Ad-Aware Free.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  24. ance

Is the update issue fixed? Is it still necessary to register the "free" version? :doubt:

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.