Ad-Aware 11 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LS Andy, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Yes. Get emailed a key.

2. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Does this do anything for Chrome users?

3. ance

ance formerly: fmon

It is necessary to renew the key every year or is it unlimited like Bitdefender free?

4. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

5. ance

ance formerly: fmon

1 year, I see. Thank you.

6. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

I'm trying Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ with PrivateFW and the combo works great at the moment :thumb:
    Just 2 disadvantage:
    - Ad-Aware CPU usage is high during scan so is not recomended for old pcs
    - 1 year renew even for free (Avast style) is not a great things, yes renew is easy but is hard for basic users, and is the reason why I don't install Avast (and Ad-Aware) for noobs

Advantage:
    - in normal usage (not scan) is light and boot pc is fast
    - Bitdefender Database is the same of BD with no delay, for example Roboscan has a 2-3 days delay that could be a disaster in case of infection with 0day virus
    - easy to setup

7. anon

anon Registered Member

Thread: VB100: New RAP Aug.13 - Feb.14 :
    -----------
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/rap-index.xml
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RAP-quadrant-Aug13-Feb14-1200.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  8. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

Yes anon I known, all BD "son" using his database have almost same results.
    But I have checked BD Av vs. Roboscan (as you reported here) for 3 months and delta between the 2 db vary from zero (rare) to 7 days delay and an average delay of 4 days, well if you test Robo when the 2 DB are the same Roboscan reach the same result, if you test it when they diverge 7days I'm sure it can reach the same performance.
    Ad-Aware will be tested from AV-Comparatives this year so is another reason I tried it, plus other thing I' don't like in Roboscan ( and I have use it 18 month) is that they change the core of Robo only one time every 2 years, this can be risky f some virus targetted it plus you risk some incompatibility with Windows update version, as next 8.1.1 release.

9. anon

anon Registered Member

When necessary, Robo have the same engine. Think about it........

I will stop here as the thread is for Ad-Aware, not for Robo.

10. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

The following info is compiled from a rather lengthy email thread I had with Lavasoft support. Copies of the email are available for a nominal fee.

The Ad-Aware Security Toolbar (aka Ad-Aware Safe Browsing Add-on) (as installed from the Website or opt-in during the app install), filters in Google Chrome, Firefox & IE. The Toolbar does not work with Google Chrome but the filtering engine does. This does not work in portable versions. There is no xpi available for Mozilla.

Paid Ad-Aware Web Protection (aka Ad-Aware Browsing Protection) will filter all browsers - installed and portable Chrome & Mozilla variants (i.e. Comodo Dragon, Palemoon) and installed and portable QTWebkIT browsers (i.e. Safari, QupZilla). It is not a browser add-on. It will also filter non-browser access to the Web as when opening Web stuff in stand-alone PDF or RSS readers or in a doc, xls or ppt opened in an Office suite, etc. etc.

Unless you want the Toolbar, if you're running a paid version it's not necessary. In the free version, if you skip the Toolbar, no Web filtering protection; Bitdefender engine signature real-time protection only - and I don't say that as a bad thing. ;)

11. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

BTW (and a BTW it is), it's often overlooked that Ad-Adaware is a dual-engine solution... Bitdefender and Lavasoft.

For verification of that check the libraries in
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Ad-Aware Antivirus\11.1.5354.0

Bitdefender's are in
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware Antivirus\Antimalware Engine\2.6.0.0

Those savvy enough with the proper tools can watch all those at work in the Ad-Aware Service.

Cheers.

12. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

LOL :cool:

13. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

Nice and light, and easy set-up. I'm running it with MBAM Pro with exclusions set in both programs.

14. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Might be a good idea to add exclusions to each others' configs for the Lavasoft and Malwarebytes folders in C:\ProgramData as that's where they write their quarantines. That's in Win7 - don't know about those paths or their existence in Win8, Vista and so on.

BTW, no conflicts detected so far after the MBAM Premium 2.0 manual update. Except the old Program Files (x86) folder was Malwarebytes' and they dropped the apostrophe for v2.0's folder. So, had to manually edit some stuff in the firewall, exclusions in Lavasoft and some other stuff.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
  15. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

I picked up a Personal Security license here for $16 US:
    -http://www.colormango.com/company/lavasoft.html-

16. Drew99GT

Drew99GT Registered Member

Can someone explain Lavasofts URL/web traffic filtering more in depth? From what it sounds like, the toolbar just checks a blacklist of URLs but doesn't actually scan the web traffic in real time; does the Bitdefender engine in Lavasoft actually scan web traffic in real time for exploit code etc.? Does Bitdefender even do thato_O

Thanks!

It's hard to understand what the URL filtering actually does with many products as simple blacklist checking kind of sucks if it doesn't check the actual code in real time.

17. apm

apm Registered Member

18. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

19. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2353861&postcount=60

20. fenson

fenson Registered Member

I tried this av,but it was way too heavy on memory for my liking.i'm trying Roboscan right now,but i think i will go back to Unthreat.

Attached Files:

21. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Good grief! Will there ever be an end to these pathetic "too heavy" Task Manager screen shots? Those who post them up is however a clear indication they have no clue whatsoever and serve to perpetrate the ignorance. How sad.

That metric is no indication of anything significant to capability.

Of course you might mean "too heavy on memory for my liking on my old clunker system with 512 MB RAM" (italics mine) in which case you have our sympathies. And really, one's "liking" is irrelevant within the construct a technical forum.

Lavasoft Ad-Aware is one of the most efficient solutions on the market as reported by VB100 whose performance testing is so comprehensive it results in reports spanning 16 pages of charts in their typically 50-page Comparatives PDFs.

In fact, they did so well, Lavasoft posted up the December "Detection vs.slowdown" wrap-up chart for free public reference. (Complete PDF reports run $20 US.)

Looky looky...
    -http://lavasoft.com/products/compare.php-

Cheers.

22. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I have an old Dimension 2350 with 1GB max ram that's still soldiering on, and I intend to keep using until it dies. Therefore, I, too, am particular about what security apps I put on it, and will only use the most resource efficient ones that meet my objective(s). One thing I've learned being on this forum is that there is a diverse crowd here with a profusion of perceptions of what's appealing, and what isn't. Calling someone clueless without knowing what lays behind their motivation strikes me as particularly clueless, and presumptuous.

23. fenson

fenson Registered Member

Thank you aztony. My laptop can handle the extra memory,but i mainly use my PC which has a max of 2GB of ram.That is just way too much memory usage for an av.By the way FOXP2 i do have a clue & any av no matter how good it is or how many bells & whistles it has,should not use up that much memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.