Is Prevx good?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by truthseeker, Aug 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

LOL. What does it all mean? :p

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, seems their definitions are a tiny bit too generic :D

3. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Interesting. Do you have any other security software installed? If so, which ones?

4. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Prevx To Computer:We own system 32

5. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Rustock.C :)

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello GES/POR,
    This is definitely indicative of a problem! What other security software are you running? There is clearly some incompatibility which is causing it to create mass false positives.

7. PrevxHelp

@Threedog:
    We will continue supporting Prevx2 as well as v3, so, you will not be forced to upgrade and it will not be an automatic update.

The false positives GES/POR experienced most likely have something to do with some extreme account limiting, virtualization, or another security product preventing us from reaching the disk, causing the disk to look like rootkits. As soon as we get a list from GES/POR of what he is using, we're going to work on reproducing the problem and release a new version which fixes it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  8. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Actually even though some think it is funny, my initial post wasn't made to put u guys down but just reporting in some feedback: Vista 64, a2 v4 realtime, sas ondemand, Vista native firewall.

Do you want me to email the complete log? Ive only pasted the detections.

9. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    Thank you for the feedback - CSI was not designed for 64bit, and this is probably where the issue is coming from (it technically shouldn't run on there at all...)

We're getting an installation of Vista x64 with A2 ready over here to test, but it would definitely be worth getting a full log from you. If you could PM it to me or go to our support inbox, we'll take a look at it immediately.

We are just finishing adding two workarounds in the off chance that it is A2 (but we doubt it), but the fact that you're running on x64 changes all of our guesses as to why it was going wrong :) We'll have a new build out in an hour or so as soon as it passes internal QA which will now include Vista x64 testing.

10. GES/POR

Ive pasted the entire log in your website's support area.

11. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Ok, thank you :)

We've just reproduced the issue, that is Vista 64. We're going to fix that and then release a new build.

Thank you for your support :)

Marco

12. PrevxHelp

Hello all,
    The newest build - 3.0.0.118 fixes all of the Vista 64 hassles. Thank you for your patience, we still aren't claiming compatibility with x64, but it does seem to scan and detect files accurately even though architecturally it shouldn't.

We will have a version in the coming months which actually supports x64 fully from usermode down through kernel mode but there currently isn't enough of a demand for it immediately.

13. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Ah, sorry, boring 32bit here: so no useful comparison

14. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

So v2 will not come out of beta and I have to pay to upgrade to version 3.

I guess you can see why I have a problem with Prevx ...................version 2 does not work for me and I am not allowed to suspend the license until a new beta is released ..... all the while time ticks oof my unused license

I can't see myself rushing to upgrade .... not feeling very loyal or valued as a customer

15. PrevxHelp

The "beta" of Prevx2 isn't really a true beta tho. As I've explained, it is feature complete, and very stable. It is just incompatible with UAC, which is why we can't say we fully support Vista.

Besides the "Beta" tag being a turn off, is there any functional aspect of Prevx2 which is not working on your system? We haven't had any complaints as long as you disable UAC. If you disable UAC, you can consider it not Beta. We don't charge for Beta testing (I doubt any company does) and if you look at the actual product, there is no mention of Beta within it.

To reiterate: it is only beta because of a fundamental incompatibility with UAC. No amount of Beta "testing" will change it - the technologies behind the two are fundamentally incompatible as they both perform essentially the same job.

16. starfish_001

Beta or not Beta ..... if it is final qaulity code just release it and write a better installer to check the status of UAC........... KAv has as similar incompatability ... under Vista it installs a reduced coverage hips .... no problems

UAC has always been disabled ... I would rather use a 3rd party product.

Prevx has all feactures working most of the time ..... except for the lock ups and BSOD ......I accept that this is probably due to a interaction with other SW on my system but removing prevx fixes the system stability .......fixing a low level problem is difficult

I am very happy with my other security prod KAV, Outpost, Defensewall and A2 instead of prevx

17. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    It is Kaspersky's choice to just dilute their protection in order to install - in our opinion, we don't take software out of Beta unless it is completely compatible with every feature of the OS it is available for.

As for your request to disable a license key for a certain period: we can't grant that as users could extend a one month license into an infinite license if abused properly - they'd just clean their system once, using 10 minutes of license time, then turn it off, then turn it on when they're infected again.... it just causes a number of problems. An analogy would be people complaining that a call on their cell phone was dropped, so, they want to disable their contract every time they are out of the service range - it just creates far too much complexity.

By drawing a clear line in the sand, we say: "Your one year license expires one year from date of purchase" and that minimizes complaints by clearly stating our policy.

Hope that clarifies things a bit better!

18. GES/POR

I wondered y Px 2 isnt updated on the site, its been a long time that when installed it still needs to update.

19. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    We have Prevx2 download the small file of rule subsets from the database when it first installs, but the actual software version is .127 which should be the newest.

The reason why we don't just package the rules with the version is that this allows us to always have a simple way to update, even if it is a bit of an extra step when first installing.

20. GES/POR

Ok another thing that i assumed would get fixed by itself :D , when installing Px2 the pick ya language step doesnt work, only when done inside the console.

21. starfish_001

It does clarify your position ... thank you but that just means you have lost a customer who had a unbroken subscription since the first betas of the product ... I have no desire to abuse my license... don't judge all by a minority. I am not asking for a free ride.....

I have said enough about prevx .... ....... simply no point

22. PrevxHelp

Yep, definitely looks like a bug :) I've made a note of this for the devs if we find any other things to change in the P2 install process. Thanks :)

23. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

I just want to underline that PrevxHelp hasn't said anywhere you have desire to, he just explained why we can't do such things.

24. PrevxHelp

I'm positive you aren't trying to abuse your license - the fact is that we don't have the framework implemented to suspend a license temporarily because of the huge potential for abuse (even accidental abuse). Also, products generally just go through one phase of beta testing, so, your request of suspending your license until the next beta would be impossible to fulfill.

If you do decide to come back to us and have any problems, please let me know and I'll take care of them personally.

25. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

wow, exciting times ahead for Prevx users. what will remain to be seen is at what level and for how long Prevx folk will remain engaged with the buying public, especially if Prevx (or whatever it's new name is/will be) glitches and Prevx folk start taking hits from anxious (angry?) users. as is what happened in 2007 with ver 2.

i hope it works out. i miss my "green globe".

observation=the new 'whatever' being referred to on a couple of occasions, by PrevxHelp, as an anti-virus. interesting. i had always seen Prevx1/2 being touted as an anti-malware solution.

lastly. it IS time to begin discussing why Prevx felt PX2 needed to be "rebuilt from the ground up" and how it's better as a result (if in fact it is) and what we the perspective user can expect.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.