Zorin 3 - A great distro for newbies

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

As promised, a review of Zorin 3, a Ubuntu-based Linux distribution, covering live CD, installation and post-install usage, featuring Mac OSX-like looks, appearance and styling, Compiz integration in live CD session, Wireless, Bluetooth, Web camera, Samba sharing, multimedia support (MP3, Video, Flash), applications, branding, system stability, performance, memory usage, suspend & hibernate, and more. Have fun.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/zorin.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Zorin is yet another ubuntu based distro that doesn't really add anything extra to you what you can find in it's parent distro. Other than the out of the box multimedia support is there any real reason to use this over ubuntu?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Mrkvonic did not mention it in his review but besides the default GNOME desktop, you can choose Zorin OS to look like Windows 7 or Mac OSX. The idea being that you can get away from Linux if you want to. If that bothers you, stick with Ubuntu or with Mint Linux.

4. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

At first I wasn't sure about this distro, but it does appear to be help some windows converts make the switch. I installed it for a friend who has never used Linux, and he liked it...

Also, I should add, this distro is created by two young Irish kids. I think they are only15 years old...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  5. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

look like a pretty decent distro for newbies

again very nice review ............great work mrk :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.