ZoneLab True Vector engine won't start

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Chuck57, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I decided to try ZoneAlarm for a while. I have 3.7.159, also EZFirewall which is ZA 3.7.179. The true vector engine won't run on either of them. Curious, I removed all traces that I could find and downloaded the latest ZA 5. Again, the true vector engine wouldn't start. Puzzled, I borrowed a friend's CD. He's running ZA 4.5. No true vector. All I get in all cases is a box in my toolbar with an 'X' and saying that the true vector engine is disabled.

One not working, I can understand, but when I try 4 different versions and none of them work, there's something else wrong. I know the 3.7.xxx versions were good because I've used them very briefly before.

Does anyone have any ideas. I installed and even rebooted twice in all cases, since I saw a notice in the ZA main GUI saying an error had occurred and I needed to reboot. ZoneAlarm does show up and I can configure settings, but not the true vector engine.

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

3. Chuck57

Yeah, I went over there but haven't posted. Most of what I see is complaints about the new Version 5. I will copy my post over there. Thanks, and that should have been the logical point to start asking.

Additional info. I just took another shot at loading the EZversion and it says something about ssleay.dll (think that's correct) missing. If so, it's missing from ALL versions, and I've used two of them before.

4. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Sounds like you've got something on your PC that is purposely disabling your ZA.

5. Chuck57

It's starting to make me wonder about that too, but I can't imagine what. I don't go places sane people wouldn't go, don't download my mail. I leave it all on Yahoo.

I've run Kaspersky, Ewido, Spybot, and a2 and everything shows this machine is clean of bugs and malware. In fact, I disabled Kaspersky and ran Etrust promo and then Panda and came up clean.

If there's something on here that can disable ZA, I'm not sure I want ZoneAlarm on this machine. Guess I can go back to one of the other two I have licenses for, but now I'm curious what's wrong....and that's a bad thing because I don't like to quit until I find the problem.

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

7. Chuck57

Saw the post at ZA forum and the other thing. Nothing works and I'm back with my Kaspersky Antihacker and guess I'll forget ZoneAlarm. I've been battling with this thing since early morning, almost 12 hours now, and am giving up for the day. Maybe something I missed will pop into my head tonight while I'm asleep.

8. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Don't you hate it when that happens ;) :D

Regards,

CrazyM

9. WipeItClean

WipeItClean Guest

Make sure ZA is turned off (will not load) at start-up and reboot. Do the /clean uninstall and remove every trace of ZA from the registry, windows folders and then erase all temp files. Re-verify that all the registry ZL/ZA entries are deleted. Use CCleaner or RegSupremePro to hunt them all down. Reboot again and re-check the registry. If all is well, reinstall. Pain in the ass, but it works. Best to go back to ZA versions 2.6, 3.7 or 4.5, too. Good luck!

10. Chuck57

Thanks WipeItClean, and everyone else for the help. The CCleaner worked. It took 4 cleanings and 3 reboots to do it, but CCleaner found whatever was blocking the installation. That is one wonderful little piece of software. I can't believe it's free. I never realized there was so much useless junk cluttering up my hard drive. It's like doing a reformat without having to reformat.

*edit* I spoke to soon. The ZA icon showed in my toolbar and I assumed it was okay. After posting, I went to grc.com and ran the ShieldsUp test. Only closed ports and many open ports. I checked a couple of other places with the same results. Failed them all. So, I rebooted and when the ZA started, True Vector was not running. I wondered if SpyBot or Ewido might be blocking whatever true vector needs, so removed both. True Vector still won't run. Reloaded both and ran them, then ran A2 again and my antivirus (Kaspersky). Everything shows this box is clean. The only thing I can think of is that XP isn't allowing ZA to load the true vector engine, and that doesn't make sense to me because I've used ZA before without a problem. I'm reasonably certain there's no ZoneAlarm bits or pieces left. All in all, though, discovering CCleaner was worth the aggravation. My computer runs a lot better now, after removing all the junk that's accumulated.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.