Zonealrm antivirus (VET)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nika, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nika

Nika Registered Member

Hey al, me instal trial of zonealrm with antivirus (use CA VET engin). Me canno find any good reviw. Firewall good, bt what abut th antivirus?

(sory for enlish too :( )

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  2. minacross

minacross Registered Member

3. Nika

Nika Registered Member

Re: Zonealrm antivir (VET)

minacross, thx u. sory i wrot antivir, mean antivirus (dumb me)

4. minacross

minacross Registered Member

no problem :)

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

VET is a relatively average AV when compared to the likes of KAV and McAfee.

It scores well for ITW virus detection, but it is not so good against zoo malware.

6. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I wouldn't trust my system's anti-viral security to VET. It just can't measure up to so many others. You would be better off running the free version of ZA along with Avast, AVG, or AntiVir.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

VET has a crap heuristics engine and reasonably "OK" signature engine, but it really does not come close to AVs like BitDefender, ArcaVir, NOD32, Kaspersky etc.

Oh yeah, ZoneAlarm AV uses the same engine as CA eTrust, so if you want to see performance, look for CA eTrust detection abilities.

8. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I ve had EZ promo-VET engine-(the deal with Microsoft users) this year and i must say,i think it's below average.I had it on demand,i never got infected,but i was using p2p quite a lot and downloaded some infected files 6-8 times.Now,i had 3 AVs installed on the pc and A squared/Ewido (free versions).In all cases,ETrust never found anything.From the others 1 or more always found something in at least one case.I uninstalled it 2 weeks ago although my 1 year license expires at November...

9. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

I used EZ Antivirus(Vet) 6.2 for 3 months. Then I trialed EZ AV Version 7 and ended up purchasing it. They offered it to me for $17 Canadian. It is light on resourses (as light as NOD) and it never has a stability problem. It is a no nonsense set and forget anti-virus. I go to adult sites, P2P sites as well as other nasty places just to see what EZ wouls take. NO PROBLEMS!!! EZ Resident monitors picks up evrything. It found 14 Trojans in the resident sheild in one night.

In a month or so I want to format so I thought that I would try the NOD32 Beta. I first scanned with Bitdefender Online Scan to make absolutely sure the system was clean(as many here have pointed out no AV is perfect). The system scanned clean. Next I loaded NOD32 Beta and did a In-Depth scan. SYSTEM CLEAN.

I saved $40 over purchasing NOD or Kaspersky. Money that is better spent elsewhere (you see mommy and daddy ain't paying my way).

And from the scanning I did with Bitdefender and NOD it showed me that EZAV is just as good as NOD and Bitdefender. Nuff' Said!

10. Firecat

CA eTrust is mainly good for detecting spyware. Trojan detection is "ok" and viruses detection is "good".

But honestly, I have come across many instances when eTrust didnt detect a few trojans ArcaVir and KAV and BD did (mostly three or four samples only though :))

But then, those were "zoo" malware :doubt:

But I dont think too high of their heuristics.

11. twig

twig Guest

I used etrustv7 promo for a year or so and never had a issue. Lightest AV around. If you want a AT then you load up a AT with Vet .

12. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

there's a reason why you won't find a good review. :p it's an ok anti-virus, but i was told before that when incorporated into the za security suite, consumers don't get their definition updates as fast as ca's regular subscribers do, who just use the anti-virus alone. sometimes up to a day or more later! this was discussed in the za forums before, but does anyone know if this is really true?

by the way, your english is bad, but i can understand you fine! hang around the forums and you'll get some practice. :D

13. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I get updates every day sometimes twice in a day. I`ve always used ZA but this is the first year with the av too. I`m more than happy with it.

14. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

lol Nika testing ZA with antivirus... tjk tjk :p
    Anyway, I also think a combination of avast! Home and ZA Free is even better :)

15. Firecat

*Alex is going to get his head bopped by Nika* :D

Expect a PM tomorrow from me ;)

16. "And from the scanning I did with Bitdefender and NOD it showed me that EZAV is just as good as NOD and Bitdefender. Nuff' Said!"

Except that EZ AV still doesnt have any warspy and serpo malware signatures with which I was infected a few weeks ago and EZ AV didnt detect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.