ZoneAlarm With Hardware Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Hi-Lo Driver, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi-Lo Driver

Hi-Lo Driver Registered Member

Hi,

I have DSL via SBC/Yahoo. The modem I have is by Ewire--at least that's the name on it. It have a hardware based firewall with it. Would the built in firewall be enough alone to protect me from hackers or should I add a software based firewall like ZoneAlarm for added security?

Also, has anyone here heard anything about ZA conflicting with SBC/Yahoo's software? Thank you.

Zac

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

A hardware based firewall is usually enough to protect you from "hackers" outsiede your machine. Many software based firewalls, like ZA will alert you the first time any application trys to communicate outside your computer. This builds a list of authorized applications. The idea behind this approach is it could be used to detect malware when it phones home, if such malware slipped onto your machine because it was too new or obscure for your anti virus program to detect. I went at least a year with only a hardware firewall and no problems. Note that if you use AOL, or open ports on the hardware firewall to allow P2P applications or server applications to function, you should have a software firewall.

3. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i use sbc/yahoo also. i have a router with a hardware firewall. never had any conflicts with za and the sbc/yahoo software. however, when i found out i didn't even need to use the the sbc/yahoo software to use their dsl service, i dumped it. this was a couple years ago, but i hated that browser they gave you, and it just seemed slower to me. plus, all that yahoo crap they make you install with it! it took too long to connect to the sbc servers with that stupid little rocket thingy (forgot the name of it). keep in mind this was a couple years ago, so it might be way different now. i remember the first scan i did with spybot, it detected spyware in the sbc/yahoo software. :eek:

anyways, a hardware firewall will protect you against allot of incoming attacks like constant pinging, but a software firewall will give you allot more application control within your computer. once upon a time, i did use za pro with my hardware firewall and they worked very nicely together. it never hurts to have an added layer of protection, personally, i use both a hardware and software firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.