ZoneAlarm & System Restore

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by IsaacH, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IsaacH

IsaacH Registered Member

Hello all

I have recently installed Zone Alarm 10.2.078.000 AV / Firewall combination to my OS, Win7 HP. It seemed to settle in Ok but I have recently found that it cripples Windows System Restore. I have tried disabling the software many times with no success. Has anybody else experienced similar problems with their PC & if so has anyone found a solutiono_O

2. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

I prefer to use an image based backup solution and back up my system a few times a week in the overnight hours,or before any major installation..etc.With an image based solution,you get everything back perfectly,whereas system restore has a great many pitfalls.Quite a few av's like Kaspersky recommend you uninstall their product before attempting a system restore.

3. fax

fax Registered Member

Two ways to overcome this problem. Ensure ZA is not loaded at boot (ZA tools --> Preferences --> UNcheck "load ZA... at boot" --> Reboot) or easier just boot in SAFE MODE and restore will work from there. Note that ZA will be broken after the restoring (limitation of system restore) and you will need to clean up ZA and reinstall it. As already suggested better to find a more solid solution to image your system.

4. IsaacH

IsaacH Registered Member

Thanks guys,

I do a weekly differential backup though now probably best every third day as I test a lot of software, needless to say I will cease using Sys restore.

All the best

Isaac.

5. Disney

Disney Registered Member

I would also consider a different firewall/AV solution . In no way should these two things cripple System Restore .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.