ZoneAlarm Security Suite question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by GuardianofNight, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

ROFLMAO. i can't stop laughing! i was just kidding about the icon thingy, i just wanted to see if it bothered anyone else. thats' too funny! :D

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, bothers me. And I've heard a few other people say the same thing too. I first heard someone say that a few months ago and at first I thought he was crazy. Then, after I started noticing it, it started to bug me too. Monkey see, monkey do, as someone once said. :D

3. GuardianofNight

GuardianofNight Registered Member

I am soo sorry everyone for not staying signed in, I should of waited to see all the replies I might of gotten from my fellow Wilders members.

Thanks all for your advice on ZoneAlarm... and I will stay away from it and stick with Outpost... probably will end up buying to. :)

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I have you on ignore....I didn't even know you were posting :cool:

j/k

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

My dog is gone. My wife is still here. Think about that for a minute. Flashing icons are a personal thing. Some folks feel insecure if theri icon does not flash. Others are driven nuts. go figure that one out. I am not a mod, but I think it is always better to give reasons for one's conclusions or opinions, be they positive or negative. As for me, I am luke warm on ZA. It depends on what you compare it to. As it was pointed out above, the AV is nothing special. I think the firewall in its free version remains a viable choice for new users. As for long time ZA users that do not like thepresent direction, I hear you. To bad checkpoint does not. And too bad Kerio is going in that direction with 4.x.

I used early versions of ZA before i had a NAT. Also At Guard and Tiny, pre Kerio reorganization. Back then I got frustrated with Tiny and relied on ZA because ofits simplicity. Now I have enough knowledge to drive Kerio 2.15 like a sports car, but it was not always that way. Just do not forget how little some folks know about technology. There are a lot of successful people in this world who have trouble finding their favorite radio station in their BMW or MB after some goofball valet parks it.

6. INTOXSICKATED

now i feel bad. GuardianofNight: if you ever have any questions about what direction you should go, sometimes the best way to answer your question is by trying the product first yourself. sometimes on these forums you will get a very biased opinion, and eventhough za didn't work for me (and many others) :p, that doesn't mean it won't work for you.

if you are still trialing outpost, why not give za a try? see what works best for you! good luck!

7. GuardianofNight

I think I might... just to try it. And thanks for the advice :)

8. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

lol Big C . And remember what I posted . I said alot of people went BACK to that version because everything after that has gone bad in one form or another .

9. GuardianofNight

Hollywoodpc, do you recommend trying out ZoneAlarm 4.5 or the latest version just in case I decide to *try* ZoneAlarm out?

10. INTOXSICKATED

4.5! oops you weren't talking to me.

but why not start with the latest, updated release first, and see how it goes?

11. GuardianofNight

lol... its ok. I don't mind, I was just wondering... but, thats true.. I guess I'll use the latest version :)

12. Arup

Arup Guest

If you are concerned about IM security, Avast Home which is free features IM scanner and will scan all the popular IM clients in real time for any malwares. The rest of the packet filtering for IM is already being done by your default firewall.

13. GuardianofNight

Oh ok. Cool.. well thanks for the info Arup :)

14. hollywoodpc

May I say that many people have gone back to 4.5 . For that reason , take what you will from that . And by the way . Diver makes a good point . For a newbie , ZA is great . But again , that is for someone trying to learn . The level of security will be lower though . Outpost is fairly easy as well and can be configured later to really kick butt . One other thing . ZAP has no tech support to speak of . I was a long time user and actually had a question or two during those years . Before Checkpoint took over , they would answer with very general answers . Never a straight answer . After Checkpoint arrived , they do not answer tech questions via email
    Not one response . And Bubba . You are ignoring me . tsk tsk . ( finger waving in the air )

15. crkit1

crkit1 Registered Member

:D Hi Wilder's! Long time no see. I have the latest version of Za Suite w/antivirus. I love it! I haven't had any problems and if I had, there is plenty of help available at Zone Labs. And, just for the record, you can turn off alerts and even logs if you want to. You can also use that popping and logs to see if a program you need is being blocked and let it in. Love the cache cleaner! Love the automatic updates and on access virus scans too.

:( The only problem I have had? They were supposed to send me a $30 rebate about a month ago, haven't gotten it and they aren't returning my emails. I'll resolve it soon, it's just a pain...time-wise!

:-* I really appreciate that they let me try it free without credit card, because I didn't have one when I got my new computer and I needed a firewall in a big way. That sort of thing breeds consumer loyalty.

*puppy* On the other hand, if I don't get my thirty bucks...I won't renew.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

also not to plug any other forums but many, many people over at dslreports forum run za and one in particular is ziggy. they cal answer almost any questions you may have. i had very bad times with zone 5 and 5.5 slow performance and many crashes later i decided enough was enough! im testing kerio and outpost now. also getting rid of za after you try it can be a real pain in the neck!! if you decide to uninstall it make sure to check the zone forums to get rid of it all.

...then again most over there tend to say nod32 is trash!! but remeber one mans trash could be your gold.

17. INTOXSICKATED

ain't that the truth. they personally told me that nod32 was never a big contender so they don't matter!

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

amen to that; do i hear a hallelujah to my amen?

anyone

19. hollywoodpc

hal....how ever the Hell you spell it !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.