ZoneAlarm Pro Update 5.5.062.004 released!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ninja_style, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninja_style

ninja_style Registered Member

It seems that this update has fixed the internet slow downs while surfing, and some other problems as well. It's running very smooth so far.

Mine updated through the ZoneAlarm update, I am not sure if they have it available for download on their site yet.

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Yet another POS update. Wish someone at that company would get their head on straight, drop the 5.5.x engine and just bring out 6.x.

Affects download speeds, page loads slower than .000. Looks like they fixed ad blocking finally.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  3. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

9.35MB ZA folder for a firewall! I don't see the speed issue, but I'm on 56K connection. I believe the crashing of True Vector during PC shut down has been fixed (no .xdb stuffs in the Internet Logs folder after a crash). This problem started with the 4.5 engine. The component logger even captures Diskeeper during manual defrag session. That's just too much for me.

Lastest version still DOES NOT remember the last viewed tab if I reboot the PC. It defaults to the OVERVIEW/STATUS screen. Can anyone confirm/deny this observation? Still think version 4.5.594.000 was the best. Speed Demons should check out the 4.0 engine.

4. synapse

synapse Registered Member

well i noticed improvements....

5. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Please be more specific with those improvements. Can you measure these gains?

6. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Well, I started with a trial version, activated it. And then installed the updates a friend of mine gave me on a disk as the broadband had not been connected at the time. About 4 updates to install and I think they were all 5.***

Jimobb

7. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Yes, that's true. Read on the ZL forum that its by design - forgot which version it started in.

Regards - Charles

8. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

By design my sweet A _ _. Look in Overview\Preferences\General\Options and you will see a box marked REMEMBER THE LAST TAB VISITED. Must be those non-English speaking programmers!

This all started with 5.0. And thanks for the confirmation. I tested the latest version of ZA with a virgin image file of WXP Pro SP1 and W2K Pro SP1.

9. zcv

zcv Registered Member

10. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Ding Dong Logic. Course the trend today is to incorporate everything into one download with online fuzzy-logic automated customer support. Until someone breaches my ZA Pro 4.5.594.000, I'm staying put. Thanks for the link. And to think people continue to put up with that BS explanation.

11. tazdevl

4.5 is their gold standard. Only problem is that it doesn't get along with NOD32 2.12.3. Causes random IE crashes.

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yes, Taz and Nod both, I agree. The problem is as time goes on if you stick with an older version of anything without updating it generally over time you will have more and more problems(problem is they have difficulty getting out working updates) it is a true shame about Zone Labs. We can only hope 6 will be "gold" like 4.5. I have a saved copy of 4.5. currently using the last 5.1 version (expired key). If I do not see improvement with 6 I will move on for the reasons we are discussing here.
    :doubt:

13. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

If the software is stable with your system, then it should remain stable as long as you DON'T ADD incompatible proggies. I'm sure 5.5 will pass more leak tests, BUT the PRIMARY GOAL of any FW is to stop craps from invading your system in the first place.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't see how 6 can be any better than 5.x. Each release builds on the code of the previous releases, so what is bad in 5 will no doubt remain in any future 6 release. When I run ZA I use ZA Plus 4.0.146.029. Seems to have the least problems and extra crap and yet it's reasonably up to date.

15. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

4.0 engine is fast, too. Refresh my memory but I don't think 4.0 has that stupid tvDebug.log in the Internet Logs folder. What is the use of this crap when you can't read it to fix the problem? My 4.5's tvDebug.log will grow by about 5 KB/PC boot. Doesn't matter if I use WXP Pro or W2K Pro. No problem with W98SE. If I switch to the latest 5.5 engine (same setup), then we're talking 40 KB/PC boot. This tells me that there are still a lot of bugs in 5.5.

16. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hi nod,

Refresh my memory but I don't think 4.0 has that stupid tvDebug.log in the Internet Logs folder.

I'm pretty sure it was there long before 4.x versions, I would say at least 3.x

I delete tvebug every once in a while w/o problems.

Regards - Charles

17. tazdevl

Depends, in many cases when you go to a whole build number, it can mean rebuilding code from the ground up. In other cases, as you mentioned, it can be a stopping point for developers where the product is suffuciently differentiated from previous versions to warrant bumping things up.

Any which way you look at it, given all the problems since ZA 5.x was rolled out has pretty much left a sour taste in my mouth. Doubtful I will renew due to craptastic customer service and all the problems over the last few months. I am not paying to beta test software.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

My Pro license still has a little time left on it, but I won't be renewing it either. I was slowly becoming unhappy with the 'extras' they kept adding and when they added that AV detection that's when I got fed up and went back to Plus 4.0. For some reason, my Pro key works with Plus 4.0, so I use Plus when I run ZA. It's all I need..

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yes, I understand both of your points. Someone once wrote somewhere that they thought True Vector had out lived it's usefulness. I do not know about that. :doubt:
    Kerodo, I think you got me the link to download 4.x Plus and I do have it but have not installed it yet. I intend to eventually. Thank you again. :)

20. newbornii

newbornii Guest

I just download the lastest zass5.5.62.4 with 15MB in size vs. 10.5MB as shown on the website? Is it that za web master does not update those lines?
    thx all.

21. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

The actual size is around 15MB.

22. TOADFROG

TOADFROG Registered Member

FWIW, I put ZA free 5.5.062.004 on my XP -SP1 machine with no problem [But I don't use that PC for email]. Before installing it on my 98se machine, I did some sniffing around the ZA forums and elsewhere and came up with several folks having BSOD's [Blue Screen of Death] and Outlook express blockages...So I decided to hold off since 4.5.594 is working great.
    A tip that appears to work on the Outlook express blockages [and other program blocks]: go to the Programs List in Zone Alarm, locate Outlook, right click, then click to 'remove'. Now make sure your program alerts are on, try to use Outlook and you should get an ZA alert. Click ok and remember this. Then make sure you have green checks next to Outlook for 'access' and 'send mail'.
    You may need to close and restart ZA to get this to work.
    [Bill Cherry in Atlanta gets credit for this; I'm just passing it on]
    TOADFROG

Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  23. weirder

weirder Guest

We are trying ZAS 5.5.062.004; We dont know what really this lastest revision fixed existing issues (if any) yet, but it now adds any programs to the list and both advanced features enabled automatically to those! WEIRD! ZA Users now should frequently check their list for programs to remove such leaky previlegde turned on by zas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.