Zonealarm pro & SP2

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Peaches4U, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

i am still sitting on the fence on this .. anyone here using zonealarm pro find any conflicts after installing SP2? i now have the SP2 CD and understand a patch for SP2 is now available. ur comments will be most appreciated. thanks

also, what is ur opinion of the firewall and anti virus that is in the SP2 package.

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Peaches, Hello. :) Did I hear you say that a patch is available for SP2? I also have ZA Pro, but I was holding off until complaints dwindle. Let me know what you find out.

P.S. Oh, by the way - Good Luck. :D

3. Peaches4U

my neighbor emailed me this evening and said she downloaded SP3 [ i presumr that is the patch]. she was using a copy of my ZAP and all went well with her initial download of sp2 - both ran fine until ZAP updating expired and she did not know how to block the renewal pop ups so she uninstalled the firewall. when she tried to re-instal, it wouldn't so she tried the freebie and could not instal it either. she said something about ZA not permitting it. she is not very computer savvy so i feel therein lies the problem. she plans on solely relying on XP protection. i tried to caution her here but she is stubborn so will wait until she comes screaming for help.

i will sit on the fence a bit longer. as a moderator on another very new forum on computers, one of the gurus there tested XP2 prior to its release for several months so when the time is right i will ask him to guide me through and will send the info to u. [remind me if i should forget]. he did advise installing from the CD rather than off the internet and how to prepare a computer for the installation. will keep u informed when i take the plunge. i almost forgot, he did say to back up the computer prior to installation.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just checked windows update and their is no patch for sp2 there yet. ;)

5. Peaches4U

hi BigC - i just checked too and only SP2 is sitting there for download - no patch for it. i wonder where she got the so-called patch. interesting. i am almost afraid to check my mail and read cries of help, come to think of it if there is a patch out now, i would have known about it.

6. bigc73542

very very true. ;)

7. Peaches4U

hi again here is a copy and paste of her email. ..........

2001Windows XP provides me with a firewall and virus protection, so it seems.

This came with the Windows XP Service Pack 2. Today I downloaded MORE updates -- Service pack 3.

BigC - SHE DOES NOT SAY FROM WHERE SHE DID HER DOWNLOAD. oops sorry about the caps ... hand still in cast and other one hurts like heck - its very frusstrating let alone painful. time to call it quits for today. TTYL

8. bigc73542

the only version of windows that has a service pack 3 is win. 2000. thay have SP4. xp sp2 will probably be the last service pack for xp the next will probably be longhorn. I am sure there will be patches but not for a while. and what virus protection from xp?

9. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I think I have the answer. The other day I was reading PC World and saw a reference to SP3. It was for MS Office, not Windows. That's probably what your friend was talking about. ;)

10. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I think that SP3 is for microsoft office XP. My school's computers have office XP running on them with SP3 for office XP. I'm using office 2003 which is the latest version of microsoft office. I have SP1 for office 2003, the latest version. As for XP SP2, there's no patch/update for SP2.

11. bigc73542

absolutley correct nadirah

Attached Files:

12. Peaches4U

hi DD- u are correct. i searched last night and found it. i already pointed that out to her but cannot get it through to her. she even maintains it is a critical update but i find it is only optional & explained why.. C&P in part her email -"SP3 is called Microsft.NET Framework 1.0, Service Pack 3 and
    deals with security/non-security issues. It was recommended for my
    computer, as I said, as a critical update. "
    "
    she will suck lemons for awhile so she parrots back facts i pointed out to her. oh well, to each his own!!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  13. steverio

steverio Registered Member

May Blessings Be!

If your friend has downloaded the MS Office SP3 and uses Outlook, then she might like this free tool to get past the security prompts:

http://tinyurl.com/6ym65

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.