"ZoneAlarm Pro is waiting for the True Vector Internet monitor to initialize?"

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Butters, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butters

Butters Registered Member

At startup I am getting the following message from ZoneAlarm Pro 5.05:

"ZoneAlarm Pro is waiting for the True Vector Internet monitor to initialize. Cancel?"

Does anyone know what would be causing this?

Also, even before the above alert started occuring ZoneAlarm Pro didn't seem to be the first process starting. Is there a way to control (force) the order of startup? It seems to me that the firewall should be first, followed by AV? (Or the reverse, but the firewall at least needs to be second, which doesn't seem to be the case).

(Using XP Pro, NOD32)

2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Butters, welcome to the Wilders Community. This version of ZAP is awful. Loaded with bugs. Attempt to update your version if you can get it up and running at all. If not try to reinstall it but make sure you do a complete uninstall. Make sure you shut down ZAP uncheck the start at reboot and reboot your system. Before uninstalling. Before I did this I would do everything I could to update to the latest version of 5. Check the ZAP site I am not sure which number they are on now. I think this will go a long way to solving your problem the version you have is bad. Clearly TrueVector is hung. Check the release history at Zone Alarm website for potential conflicts with what you are currently running on your machine. If you can turn off these just long enough to get running and update...Also make sure Windows Firewall is off. Sorry to be so disjointed I am typing while I'm thinking.

I was a former user, that did not upgrade until they were well into 5 version due to lots of problems posted at their site. Hope you get it going. ;)

3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

My recommendation is to go back to 4.5.594 if possible. If not, upgrade to the latest version 5.5.062.

Might be a virus too that's killing the service. Head over to BitDefender.com and do an online virus scan.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I of course assumed he bought the 5 version, which maybe he did not. Having said that he might be able to go back and download 4.5 from the site and use his license key for that version. But I would not count on it. :doubt:

5. Butters

I did run a BitDefender.com scan, although I have also scaned recently using NOD32, PestPatrol, Ewido, and TrojanHunter and I haven't found anything. Bitdefender found a few things that "might" be in archived program files, but nothing not archived. It also came up with A LOT of false positives in other archives so I'm not sure how much of it I believe. For instance, it objected to "password protected" buttons and bitmaps for Adaware skins, which I highly doubt ARE in fact password protected.

"Adaware.SE.SKIN_mediumblue.zip=>mediumblue.ask=>awgrad1.bmp: password protected
    Adaware.SE.SKIN_mediumblue.zip=>mediumblue.ask=>bt52.bmp: password protected"

I have been suspicious of a number of programs that only recently began requesting to accept connections from the Internet, including NOD32, Mozilla, Windows Explorer, Generic Host Process for Win32 Services, POPfile, and even WeatherPulse. There are probably half a dozen more. I began using Look 'n Stop recently to diagnose it. I am wondering that if by installing some new software I might have changed the way some programs access the Internet and that is the reason for the new alerts. Still, the number of programs looking for server privileges has jumped and it is disconcerting when combined with ZA's failure to load. ZA doesn't tell you if the server function is initiated internally or externally. (I am using both firewalls right now, I'm not relying on ZA). I know that is frowned upon but I am doing it until I can figure out what the problem is.

Another person here had a similar and recent problem.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There's no way to change the order of startup for services and programs. I'd just do as suggested and update to the latest version of ZA and see if that fixes your problems. If not, then perhaps go back to an earlier version. I prefer 4.0 and 2.6 myself. Old, but nice... :)

7. Butters

Thanks, I am planning to either update or change firewalls. I haven't decided -- I have never been entirely happy with ZA but then I have never found an alternative that works as well (for me) either. I have used Sygate and it is acceptable. I like some aspects of LooknStop but I am still learning how to use it. I don't really know how to go about defining rules. I definitely preferred older versions of ZA better, I am just not sure how to go about finding an older copy. Will a new license work with an old copy?

8. Butters

Here is one of the reasons that I don't like Zonealarm;

I just had problem connecting, and I found that an old network was still defined as well as the newer one. I don't really know what to make of it, as my IP address is a persistent one. Often ZA "finds" a new network with no explanation. (Regardless of the reason that is a terribly unclear way to describe the event. I am on a wired connection.) I believe that this this is related to DHCP, but I am not certain. The second network, the newer one, also just "disappeared", with no explanation.

Here's what ZA was showing:

Network name / IP (modified) / Mask

Internet1 / 67.162.176.0 / 255.255.252.0
    Internet2 / 167.256.0.0 / 255.255.0.0

Is there anyone here who can explain why there would be two? How do I turn off DHCP, I have tried unsuccessfully before?

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I found many older versions of ZA just by Googling for them... I looked thru the ZoneLabs version history and then searched for the specific version numbers and also used the word "download" and so on. If you play with it for a while you can probably find most of the old ones. I have 2.1, 2.6, several 3.x's, 4.0 and 4.5. All of those are probably preferable to 5.x. I actually like 2.6.362 lately. No bloat whatsoever, just the basic stateful inspection firewall with app control and that's it. You can also use programs like VisualZone to view the logs if you like.

As for keys, I do have a current ZA Pro license key here and it works fine with ZA Plus 4.0.146.029 and Pro 4.5. It does not work with 2.6.362 Pro, however, my previous key does work with 2.6, so you'll have to try your keys and see. And if no keys work, then there's still the free versions also.

As far as your DHCP goes, you need DHCP most likely to obtain an IP address and for your system to find out it's DNS server addresses and so on, so I don't think you can disable that and still access the internet. ZA will usually "find" a new network when your IP address changes (I think). I have a cable connection here and that's what happens when my IP address changes. If you have dial-up then I'm not sure how that works though.

I think you'll like the older versions of ZA. A lot less problems...

10. Butters

I am using XP Pro. I think I know where to change it, I am just not sure how to set the subnet mask. My connection is a persistent IP, it changes only very infrequently. I think I can set it to a fixed IP and just reset it when it changes. (Anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong).

Here are the relevant dialogs. My system is currently set to, "Obtain IP Address Automatically." When this is set this way, the Alternate Configuration tab is visible (shown below).

I believe all I have to do is set it to: "Use the following IP." Is this correct, or do I need to use the alternate configuration? I don't have a home network, my computer connects directly to the Internet. Also, does anyone have a simple explanation for the subnet mask? (Currently my system provides that private address automatically, which I now know is the second network that I see in ZoneAlarm). Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

• S1.jpg
      S1.jpg
      File size:
      43.4 KB
      Views:
  11. Butters

Here is the alternate configuration tab:

Attached Files:

• S2.jpg
      S2.jpg
      File size:
      38.5 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.