ZoneAlarm - New, easier uninstall instructions 2006-08-29

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by FanJ, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi,

I saw that there were posted new, easier uninstall instructions for ZoneAlarm at the ZoneAlarm forum:

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=AllowAccess&message.id=103

That posting at the ZoneAlarm forum was last edited on 09-13-2006

Please note that, by posting this, I have no intention to bash ZoneAlarm !
    Maybe it was already posted here at the Wilders board; I wasn't sure about that, sorry.

Maybe this is something to add in the thread:
    Other Firewalls Sticky Posts
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24415
    in the section for ZoneAlarm.
    But, of course, I leave that decision to the moderators.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

fanj - Have you successfully done this method? I see at least one step missing for doing a clean uninstall. Isn't there a step where you access the menu and put a space after uninstall and type clean or something to that effect?

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Apart from what you mention, I see no difference from the earlier method.

I really would of hoped, from such a vendor, that an uninstall from "Add/Remove" would remove such an installation.
    (I thought the "clean" added to the uninstall removed this?)

~sorry, just that way out~

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi twl845,

Last weekend I used it on a friends computer.
    At that moment I did not have the original steps at hand (years and years ago I posted them here at the Wilders board; but where are they?). So I had to search for them and found those new instructions at the ZA-board.
    I do the maintenance on that friends computer. But I found myself suddenly confronted with the situation that they bought a suite (this isn't the thread to name that suite)....
    As far as I could see, I had no problem with using those new instructions and no problem with installing their new suite. Most probably I'll be there again next weekend, so I can see how things went during this week.

Oops, I'm afraid that I don't understand you fully, which is my fault !

---

At Stem:

Hi Stem,

Yes, of course, we all do hope that.
    But, alas, that is not always the situation.
    So the best thing we can do is to try to inform people. That is why I started this thread. I did hope that it might help people who want or need to uninstall ZoneAlarm, for whatever reason. As I said: this was not meant to bash ZoneAlarm.

As I wrote above, I'm not sure about that :oops:
    I don't have experience with it.

Sorry, I don't understand that.

---

In general:

Let me please state once again:
    I have and had not any intention to bash ZoneAlarm (if that are the right English words).

My only intention was to give a link to ZoneLabs own users forum with respect to this issue (uninstalling ZoneAlarm for whatever reason).

If there are better ways nowadays to uninstall ZoneAlarm, by all means post them here.

PS:
    I still think that it would be a good idea to include in some way in a thread here at the firewall-section a link to instructions of how to uninstall ZoneAlarm, like I suggested in my first posting in this thread, either a link to this thread (maybe with better instructions) or to that link at the ZoneAlarm forum.

Regards, Jan.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

fanj, To perform a clean uninstall click on start>programs>zonelabs
    RIGHT click on Uninstall Zone Labs Security,then select Properties. Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be different on your system): "C:\program files\zonealarm\zauninstexe" Change it to:
    "C:\program files\zone labs\zonealarm\zauninst.exe" /clean (add a space and then the /clean. Click OK to save the new command line.
    The rest I assume you have in your new instructions.

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have used this method in the past and found it to be far more complete then using Add\Remove. However, I did follow it up by doing the method outlined in the link provided by FanJ. Just to see how complete a job it did. If memory serves, I still found 1 or 2 reg. entries remaining. Adding "/clean" does do a far better job the Add\Remove but still not 100%.

7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks twl845 and ThunderZ for your replies !

I did not fully investigate the whole issue on my friends computer (I should have posted that), so your comments are very welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.