Zonealarm Extreme Security engine?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by entropism, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. entropism

entropism Registered Member

OK, so I beta tested ZA's extreme security suite for a few days, reported a bug, and they gave me a free year's license. Since I haven't heard much about this suite on here, I figured I'd ask if they're still using kaspersky's v6.0 engine, or if they moved on to something a bit more recent. I'm trying to decide if it's worth going with ZA, over my current combo of Comodo CIS, and either Avira Free or Avast home.

(and no, I can make my own decisions, not looking to get a locked A vs B thread lol)

2. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i think it still is the same.......

3. gery

gery Registered Member

it has HIPS but not as comodo. it is quiter but i am not sure of their usability.

4. icr

icr Registered Member

Was a bit heavy on resources when i tried:'(

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Kav 6.0 Engine, It was good years ago, Now signitures are not good enough.

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Personally, I find the Extreme product to be a bit of an overkill for my needs. I don't want AV, nor AS, nor a sandbox - just a good easy to use firewall. All of the ZA products (above the free one) have a good firewall. I went with ZAAV, even though it has AV, for the FW. Anyway, Vista has Defender and MRT.

7. fax

fax Registered Member

Running the latest beta that include encryption tool... yes KAV 6... its not at all bad and still used by Kaspersky in business products. The ZA Extreme is a completely different products than KAV. It has its own ZA engine, a sandbox for Firefox and Internet Explorer as well as many others features (HIPS, http malware site filtering, antikeylogging and many others).

Run light here... I cannot noticing it but you have to try it to see if it work nice on your machine. :)

If you are happy with your combo why changing?
    I would wait for the ZA beta to become available... a lot of nice improvements.

Fax

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

ZA does still use the old Kaspersky v6 engine; I wish they'd make their custom antispyware engine available for scanning under all circumstances (real-time as well as on-demand, via context menu scans, etc.) instead of just on-demand scans from the GUI. As such the ZA Antispyware engine is not bad at all IMO, and OSFirewall provides a very good level of real-time protection against malware; so as a product it should be fine.

What I did experience with ZoneAlarm 8 was a number of instability issues related to installation/uninstallation of the product. I hope this has been sorted out with recent releases. :)

9. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Just as a little update to this... I installed my copy of ZAES, minus the AV engine, alongside Avast home. I'm running into a few issues with Avast on my system, so I'll be going back to Avira Premium when I renew my license, but that's neither here nor there...

ZAES, as far as the rest of the suite goes? Pretty damn awesome. I got my license for free for beta testing their product (for about a day before I uninstalled it due to instability), and I doubt I'd pay $70 for it, but for free, I like it a LOT more than Outpost Free and CIS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.