Zonealarm dropping internet connection...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dja2k, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I have noticed that when using kazaa for a while, the internet connection to mozilla, internet explorer, msn messenger etc. are dropped. Nothing gets connection to the interent except shareaza. I am using the latest zonealarm. I have a static ip address set and have port fowarding in the router and zonealarm. I don't know if I have checkmark more items in the advance panel under firewall>internet zone security. Also I gave a try to the new outpost 2.6, but thsoe damn blue screen errors still appear and for some reason, outpost instead of loosing connection, gets crazy and restarts my computer using kazaa only. Any help would be appriciated.

dja2k

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Kazaa and other P2P applications can wreak havoc with some firewalls. Any idea how many active connections there were or what memory usage was like for ZA when you experienced the problem?

Regards,

CrazyM

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

OTOH, the ablity to manage multiple connections under P2P without significant system slowdowns is a great test of a firewall's capability.

Kazaa comes bundled with a bunch of spyware. I wonder if that is the cause of the problem here.

4. Jazzie1

Jazzie1 Registered Member

I agree on that matter. BitTorrent being one of them! That is why I use IRC (Mirc+Invision script)+(which downloading is one to one)!

CU
    Jazzie

5. mixchael..

mixchael.. Guest

I get the same problem wth my unckles pc when using shareaza and zonealarm

6. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Use Sygate 5.5.2710 I was using it with Edonkey with no problem when ZA would freeze everything.

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Don't know what the hits are, but as soon as I close shareaza and restart zonealarm, everything goes back to normal.

dja2k

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Sygate seems to be one firewall that has very little issues of its own running other programs, except for the proxy bug.

9. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Yes but the bug is quite a bug. The proxy issue is major in that you can't use Proxomitron, the loopback issue is much more serious as most browsers use a loopback technique to shorten download times. Firefox uses loopback quite a bit as does IE although not quite the way FF does. Sygate doesn't handle loopback very well as it has difficulty identifying the local machine and is easily fooled by spooofing.

10. mlr1m

mlr1m Registered Member

regarding loopback.....
    now even anti-virus programs are acting as a proxy when scanning e-mails, so you need it for that too.

Michael

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would think that sooner or later they will have to address the issue. Perhaps by 6.0. But their rate of development is quite slow, so who knows when that will be?

12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

After a clean install of windows. And after messing around with Outpost 2.6 and finding out that it still produces blue screens, I went back to using Zonealarm. For some reason, it hasn't dropped the connection like it did before. Hopefully this time around, it won't.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.