Zonealarm Beta For Vista(Official)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Legendkiller, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Zonealarm has launched its public beta for Windows-Vista(32-Bit),

Known Issues:
    # Upgrade: Upgrades are not supported yet. So please UNINSTALL the old beta version first before installing a new one
    # Mailsafe: Mailsafe has been disabled for this release
    # ZoneAlarm Antivirus: This is a special SKU (ZAAV with Antivirus and Anti-spyware) which is for testing only and will not exist later on as a shipping version
    # Anti-Spyware: Anti-spyware scan doesn't start after clicking 'Scan for spyware' CR00208268
    # Anti-virus: AV dosn't detect infected file in email CR00208569
    # Anti-virus: AV\AS Panel may fail to Initialize. resources may be corrupt or missing CR00207921
    # Anti-virus: On-demand AVscan first of all scans folders of Windows, independently of setting of ScanTargets CR00208568
    # Anti-virus: AV doesn't scan system memory CR00208415
    # Anti-virus: AV dat file version info is missing in UI CR00208257
    # Firewall Panel ANTIGUA | ZASS 7.0.233.033 | "Enable IPv6 networking" checkbox doesn't work CR00208336
    # Firewall Panel: Missing LAN Adapter although Network Connectivity exists CR00208063
    # Installer: Windows Firewall is on after Installing ZASS and Rebooting PC CR00207985
    # Installer: Windows Security message installing ZoneAlarm CR00208541
    # Network Detection: Network Detection only works during Startup (workaround is to restart the client when connecting to a new network) CR00208544
    # Programs Panel: Program Advisor alert is broken CR00208558
    # Vsmon: Beta incompatible with Secure Client EA CR00208398
    # Vsmon: ZoneAlarm doesn't run logged in with Built In Guest Account CR002084
    Visit: Beta Page

2. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Does anyone know if it's adding something new, maybe a new interface finally? Or just making it Vista ready? (which would be my guess from the version number)

3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i think everything will be same as the windows version......this only to make zonealarm compatible with vista

4. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

5. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Jep, I've seen this marketing slogan for other products as well, as far as I understand it only means you'll be able to upgrade for free once Vista version is ready.

6. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

I Think zone alarm is not even ready for XP :doubt: , full of bug

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Some questions I would like answered by the ZA officials are;

1. with all the effort on ZASS 7, will ZA Pro support be dropped ?
    2. If support continues will Pro be made compatible with Vista as well?
    3. Will ZA allow independent evaluations in the future? KAV does so now and since it is a very large part of the future strategy it looks strange that ½ is tested publicly and the other not.

These are valid questions and deserve official answers right here.

8. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Vista-compatible ZoneAlarm Open Beta Now Open

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/beta/index.html

A Windows Vista-compatible version ZA is now available for open beta testing. Currently ZA Antivirus (for 32-bit Vista) is the only version being tested. To test, please head to the above page.

Remember to read all instructions on the page before downloading the installer. Especially critical is how to install pslist from Sysinternals before installing the beta ZA and how to use it to help troubleshoot high CPU usage or when ZA hangs.

Also remember that the team from Zone Labs/Checkpoint do not read comments on the ZA forum, Wilders or any other security forums for the matter. Any thing that require ZL's attention and feedback should be sent directly to them using the feedback form.

A public beta forum is open on the ZA forum so you may discuss your experiences with other beta testers:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=OpenBeta

Happy Testing :)

9. Escalader

Re: Vista-compatible ZoneAlarm Open Beta Now Open

"Also remember that the team from Zone Labs/Checkpoint do not read comments on the ZA forum, Wilders or any other security forums for that matter. "

This dictum is hard to believe.

How can anyone be sure what and where ZA people read and don't read?

If they don't read here why make your post about it here? ZA user forum rules don't apply here.

The approach of not reading in public forums is that of the ostrich. We all know what happened to him!

Posts on ZA will continue on Wilder's and other forums.

10. fax

fax Registered Member

No ZA officials here, just a user.

It is funny but a similar discussion is happening in the Kaspersky forum with users complaining about Kaspersky not releasing the KIS beta 7 but only KAV.

Why would ZA drop support for ZAPRO? Not clear to me o_O

Two main issues need to be analysed and tested properly in ZA with VISTA,
    OSfirewall and the antivirus. I guess this is why ZAAV Beta for VISTA has been released. I imaging that, depending on the resources and time available, ZALabs will also release the betas of the other products.

You could post your question directly to the ZA BETA forum, maybe forum moderator could give a better answer or clarification.

IMO, I will wait for VISTA SP1 and ZA 7.X before entering in the VISTA adventure, too many horror stories around VISTA and drivers availability.

Fax

11. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Re: Vista-compatible ZoneAlarm Open Beta Now Open

Whether ZL developers read or not, I will never know. But to be on the safe side, let's assume no.

The reason why I post about it here is to encourage people to test the product. The more people testing the product, the more the bugs are found, the better the product, the less effort and time I and other people spent helping others with those bugs, the better we can help with people with real problems.

I am not saying that you are forbidden to post anything on any forum. What I meant was that for ZL to effectively take in people's suggestion, feedback should be sent to ZL using the feedback form, and not just to discuss with other people on forums. You are free to discuss. I like discussion as I like to get a feel on how serious and reproducible the problems are so when I help others, I can say, "Hey you are not the only one," or "Thats a unique problem."

I have read many people saying, "Hey I got problem A since the beta and its still present in the retail release." Then when I ask them if they have sent feedback to ZL using the beta form, they say no, only posted in forums. So then how can one blame ZL for the problems if ZL is not even aware of it?

12. Escalader

"So then how can one blame ZL for the problems if ZL is not even aware of it?"

If they went to the forums and read they would be aware.

13. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, correct! But the majority of user support forums are full of problems that may not necessarily mean a problem in the software.

The only way to separate, user related from software related issues is to obtain detailed background information on system setup, program used, system settings and detailed log files. Also to be able to replicate the problem. All of this cannot be done via the forum.

This is why, most of the times, if users are not getting resolved their issues with the help of other ZA user (in the forum), they are directed to technical support links.

Fax

14. Escalader

Here are some questions for our ZA product users posting here in this forum that have not been answered. So here are some very speculative answers to be affirmed or not.

1. Will ZA Pro support be dropped ? Speculation= yes, after XP fades
    2. Will ZA Pro be made compatible with Vista as well? Speculation= never
    3. Will ZA allow independent evaluations in the future? Speculation= never
    4. Why does KAV cooperate now and it other ½ doesn't? Speculation= corporate culture differences that are permanent thus the partnership may not be

My dream answers for these are:

1) Support continues on Pro and it is the basic FW people came to ZA for in the past, that they can add their own ASW and AV to easily.

2) Pro is available in vista

3) ZA has a change of culture and cooperates in offical public testing and certification

4) KAV persuades ZA to do 3!

15. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

The following statement was extracted from a recent Admin/Mod post in the ZA Public Beta forum:

In which case, I doubt very much that the ZA team would monitor any external forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.