ZoneAlarm 7.xx Product Line Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

2. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

Does anybody know why the free version has tripled in size, the previous version 6.5.737.000 = 13Mb and the new 7.0.302.000 = 38.1Mb. I know bloat is the flavour of the month, and ok the new version has a new icon and a new coat of paint but tripling in size !! I should go and read the changelog but I'm hoping somebody else has already done that.

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

From MajorGeeks:

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Is the AV still CA or have they switched to KAV? I heard they were switching.

Also, is the whole security suite free now? Well I guess I could go look myself.

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yes, they are using KAV engine now. I´m not sure if they are also using the extended database (spyware/PUPS).
    No, apparently, they have unified the codebase and they only have one installer now. And the free version has become a kind of nagware.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Well I think a KAV and ZA Pro firewall would be hard to beat. Thinkin' I may have to go for this offer on Frys.com.

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/5034685

Maybe I'll just not download it until my NOD32 expires in a few months. By then maybe some of the bugs that come with every new release will be worked out.

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Based on the version history thread, I don't think the version comments quite covers the huge jump in MB size.

Personally, I don't like programs that are "crippled" after a trial period. If you chose not to become a paid subscriber, then does the unused parts of the program suite still take up space on the HD?

8. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I wouldn't call a 37.6 MB installation file for ZASS 7 taking up too much "space on the HD" unless you are storing your program installation files on an older flash memory card.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  9. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

Hmmm the ZA Antivirus version is just 25.5 and that is for an av and a fw.

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

As there are 2 current threads active on this topic, and to save on double posting, I will close this thread in preference to the most active.

Please post to this thread concerning this topic

Thank you,
    Stem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.