ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.000

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kerodo, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Looks like there's a new ZA out today:

New and improved features in ZoneAlarm version 6.1.744.000

Fixed - Service stability issue
    Fixed - Communicate with the centralized server issue
    Fixed - Overlapped text in support and update information
    Fixed - Various other bug fixes

See the ZoneLabs site for details and files, as usual...

2. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Just for grins and giggles, I thought that I would try this version out to see what gives (and what doesn't). It feels like the start up speed has improved somewhat. It loaded right after my AT, which is quite speedily loaded. The SmartDefense Advisor actually is fairly smart. I tweaked some program settings manually, but all in all not too bad. It also seems to remember these settings between hard boots better. I'm still confused as to why more programs haven't been included in the AV monitoring utility. Not that it's at all necessary, but if you're going to include this, keep it updated. Also, the privacy feature is in need of some serious updating. Ever here of Firefox, Check Point? I do like the triple firewall. It's a good idea that actually seems to work very well, and is the real reason to consider this program. I run an excellent on access anti-trojan/spyware, but I'll take any extra monitoring if it doesn't wonk my system. So my conclusion is...it doesn't suck! :D Seriously, noticeable improvements, a keeper for those that like ZA's style of firewall. I however will continue use what I've been previously been using.

3. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Good to know. Thanks for the review cuz I`m a fan of ZA. ;)

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Nice review and I agree with it, however, I wish they would improve the way the HIPS works. I already mentioned this in another thread, but having to give your browser "Super access" is not a good thing. :doubt:

5. zcv

zcv Registered Member

There are a number of annoyances with the triple FW:

I wish the HIPS and the internet access apps were seperated, it makes for that much more to wade thru, especially because any process, including one time processes, are in the list - forever - unless removed, just clutter.

And agree with Rasheed about ZAP making decisions about trust levels, but, its easy enough to go thru the list to change. I also keep in mind that the highest auto trust levels are reserved for the OS's system processes which to the average user I quess is a plus.

Regards - Charles

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes I second that, split the HIPS from the Internet access window, the way it is working now is not handy at all, I often wonder what´s up with the people behind the GUI. :rolleyes:

7. agustan

agustan Registered Member

does the free zonealarm also has the triple FW? it doesn't say about it in the website, so i'm just wondering about it.

thanks...

8. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello agustan,

No, only the paid versions do.

Regards - Charles

9. Purplexity

Purplexity Registered Member

ZoneAlarm Free user here.
    "Clean Install ? ": I've found 2 ways of Un-Installing ZA .
    Wondering if it's necessary to delete each file manually. I'm sorry about the lengthy post, but I've been burnt before Updating ZA and would appreciate a nod from some knowledgable folk :)
    This is posted at ZoneLabs User Forum:
    http://http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=45772
    Click on Start, then Search or Find, and select Files.Type the following exactly - delete any folders found:
    [The wording "delete any folders found" worried me as to the Quality of this advice, as they obviously mean FILES. :doubt: ]
    vsconfig.xml
    zlcommdb.dll
    zlcomm.dll
    vsxml.dll
    vsdb.dll
    vsregexp.dll
    vsdata.dll
    imsinstall.dll
    imlsp.dll
    vsdata95.vxd
    vsdatant.sys
    zllictbl.dat
    vsmon.*
    vsmonapi.dll
    vsnetutils.dll
    vspubapi.dll
    zaplus.*
    zapro.*
    zlparser.dll
    zonealarm.exe
    zoneband.dll
    vsinit.dll
    vsutil.dll (please right-click, Properties -> Version to be sure it
    is a ZA file. Do NOT delete this file unless it is a Zone Labs file!)

GLB*.* (delete any of these that you find in any of your TMP or
    TEMP folders)

Type the following exactly - delete any files found in any folder
    with "Programs" in the pathname):

zapro
    zonealarm
    "zonealarm pro" (including quotes)
    There's more , but you probably get the idea:p
    A Lot Of Work!

Alternatively: http://www.donhoover.net/uninstall.html
    Which is a much simpler method.:D
    There's a lot of unhappy ZA users each time there's a new version released as their Forum shows.
    I've previously had to manually clean the previous version before new installation due to a "Bad Install" experience, been a while though and not sure how to go about this .
    Any wise words would be greatly appreciated :oops:
    Thankyou.

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've always just upgraded rather than done a clean install. Never had any trouble. I have ZA Pro. I've read some posts saying you should do the clean install, others say it isn't necessary.

The new version is running fine on my computer. No problems and it does seem faster than the older ones.

11. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

Don`t know about this version.
    But in the past i had ZA too and i found many old files after uninstalling.

12. Purplexity

Hi Chuck57
    I went the whole hog and cleaned ZA completely .
    Added "/clean" to the properties menu of ZA uninstaller, as described @donhoover.net, then did a cleanup of temp files, folders, and the registry.
    I have had a problem in the past so better safe than sorry I suppose.
    Seems to be a random problem affecting different users, but I noted some very unhappy campers at ZoneLabs Forum so clean install for me this time.
    Running smooth so far , so seems it was worth the effort.
    Obviously as you've not had troubles not a necessity. :D
    Safe Surfing all!

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have typically done an uninstall first before upgrading. Never had any problems though just using '/clean' in the start menu uninstall link.

14. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

You might want to delete these files too:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vsdata.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Vsdata95.vxd
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vsdatant.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vsmonapi.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vspubapi.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vsutil.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\zllictbl.dat
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\zlparser.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZoneLabs\Migrate.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZoneLabs\vsdb.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZoneLabs\vsruledb.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZoneLabs\minilog.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\IAMDB.RDB
    C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\W98-DHIGHT.ldb
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZoneLabs\html.tdr

If you search on the net there are many uninstall diffulculties with ZA

15. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Hi Purplexity

That's a nice long list of stuff to get rid of, along with PCJohns, which will no doubt help a lot of people. The link you gave is one i wasn't aware of which also looks useful.

For future reference though, you and others might be interested in something i and others use to install everything, and then if need be to uninstall it/them. After doing the vendors uninstall you follow that with the uninstall with this App.

Total Uninstall http://www.martau.com/

I always follow that with a windows and registry clean out, including searching for the names of the App and vendor etc, in case there are any left overs and/or entries that were added after the install. Here's what i use for the Registry.

RegSeeker Freeware http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

StevieO

16. PCJohn

PCJohn Registered Member

You can find files with Regseeker too.
    A must have on your pc.

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

With this latest version, on a clean install, I am finding a lot (every 5/10 seconds) a DNS request for zonelabs.com. No connections are made, just the DNS requests. Has anyone monitored this. (It doesn`t show in ZA logs, it needs another capture pgm). Just wondering if this is a ZA problem, or a problem on that one PC.
    I will of course, install on one of my own PCs to check, but cannot at the moment, so was hoping for some feedback on this.

EDIT,
    All the updates and options to connect to ZA servers are off.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Seems a little wierd to see repeated DNS lookups since I think the DNS Client Service in 2k and XP would ordinarily cache the first lookup for at least a half hour or so and longer if it's used.

19. Purplexity

Thanks for the feedback to my queery of whether to do a clean un-install, and how far to go if I did.
    The "/clean" addition to the properties box of the ZoneAlarm un-installer worked fine. I checked all the files we've collectively posted above and all where gone.
    I did delete the ZoneAlarm directory from the registry also.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software\ Zone Labs.
    and a folder : Documents and settings/"user"/zonealarm.

Hi StevieO,
    I've just started using Total Uninstall a few weeks ago ,
    great to hear that you recommend it ! I felt it was a cool idea, thanks for the thumbs up on that , beautiful to not have to clean the registry after an uninstall. Wasn't keen to use it with ZA free , but if it works, I'll do so in the future.
    I use the old jv16 PowerTools v.1.3.0.195 , last free edition. Simple and powerful. Also RegSeeker Freeware http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm , with care.;)

I think the bottom line, and I don't like to criticize ZoneLabs, but they could very simply clarify the Un-install/Install issue with a "New un-Installer", or Clearer instructions at their website.

Surf Safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.