ZoneAlarm 10 Free Beta?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Brandonn2010, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Yesterday I switched from OA Free to ZA Free because I was tired of the HIPS alerts, and it conflicted with many programs. I've always like ZA for its simplicity. I also noticed on their website they are beta testing ZA Extreme Security 10. Does anyone know if they will beta test version 10 of the free firewall, and if so when? Does anyone know when version 10 will be released?

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!

ZA never ever publish release dates by policy. They work normally under the principle: "it will be released when it is ready".

Top line retail products are tested first and then all the rest. ZA free is normally the last priority. So, I would not expect any time soon a beta test of the ZA free. This policy may or may not change but no one can tell you since no one outside ZA has a clue. :)

3. gery

gery Registered Member

fax
    i have a couple of questions
    1- i have a ZA Antivirus license which i was given from a friend of mine. it is not registered and i would like to keep it like this till my AVAST IS expires next year (February to be precise) . I asked the guy from ZA costumers care and he said it is not specified but you should better activate it within 6 months. He said he thought it was better not presuming it was the policy of ZA . Do you know better than that? Can you notify me via personal message or here at the forum about this?
    2- do you have any idea about the final release?
    thanx gery

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!

well, if ZA customer support warned you about the 6 months I would listen to them. ZA support is directly attached to ZA and normally well informed (not a subcontractor to somewhere outside US). I can't really add more to that.

2. No, sorry. No one outside ZA knows about ZA releases. Its a ZA policy to avoid the usual mess when dates are published and not respected. The approach is: its released when its ready and no information whatsoever is given.

Pity that you didn't get an Extreme license... :) I would not buy for myself just the antivirus version since its missing one of the best feature of the top of the line (i.e. virtualization).

Cheers,
    Fax

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

If memory serves they never beta test the free version - they just release the free version after beta testing of the paid versions is finished and the paid versions have been released. In other words, the free version is release last and it usually takes a while.

6. gery

gery Registered Member

Pity that you didn't get an Extreme license... :) I would not buy for myself just the antivirus version since its missing one of the best feature of the top of the line (i.e. virtualization).

Cheers,
    Fax[/QUOTE]
    fax do you have any idea on how much ram extreme uses? if it is not too much i could upgrade later to extreme.
    thanx Gery

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

UGh. The last time I tried ZA extreme it was very sluggish. It took long to start up on boot and it actually froze a few times when opening a browser. I hope that this has changed.

8. fax

fax Registered Member

It really depends on the system is installed to and can vary from system to system including the reported slow start up. I never had slow start up as many other users but some always reported slow start up while others users reported it sometimes ....

So, the only way to know if it runs correctly and smootly on the specific system is to try it :)

9. fax

fax Registered Member

Thats correct... at least for the past few releases.

10. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

So what is ZA bringing with this new version ?!
    Enhanced interface !?
    Enhanced loging ,that doesn t crash the program ?!
    Less bandwidth cuting.
    Performance increase due to awarness of multicore CPU-s ?
    What is new practically ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.