Zone Labs Cracks Spyware Prevention Barrier

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ronjor, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Now this is really getting interesting, as the firewall vendors (there was a discussion about this on another AV vs. AT thread recently) move into the territory traditionally held by AVs, ATs, ASs, and more recently HIPS. It seems like users are going to go through a whole new set of decisions in choosing their layered software configuration.

Thanks for the link ronjor.

Rich

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm sorry ZoneLabs....but this peon disagrees :(

"Why do 32 flavors, when you can't get VANILLA right?"

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It will be interesting to read users experiences with this program Rich.

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi ronjor,

Absolutely. I am going to sit back for a while and watch what happens. This is a big leap - but not unexpected.

Hi Bubba,

Can you elaborate - or is it a gut feel of yours that ZoneLabs "marketing" is ahead of its technology?

Thanks.

Rich

6. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

ZA 6 has a process guard component build into it. Half baked, too much user interaction required.

I also think this is more tied into the program control module than the Adware/Spyware module.

Based on my experience with the last beta, I'd hold off a revision or two before you consider ZA6.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Being a TeamZ member....I have had the privilege of experiencing their versions for a few years now as they went from strictly a firewall to a firewall and all the other eye candy. While it's been an interesting ride....I'm on the side of those that feels users are better served with single applications....instead of Suites.

I also agree with tazdevil's assessment and am now back to a slightly earlier version....which does well in watching my in and outs.

Attached Files:

8. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Whole heartedly agree with tazdevl and Bubba, a suite is only as stong as it's weakest component. In using suites, defenses are no longer layered.

Too bad that marketing forces are driving security companies in this direction. I'm assuming that the model here is Symantec, that very model of a security company ;)

Regards - Charles

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the additional comments. I will take the general advice that is being given and hold off for a few releases. Sometimes there is an urge to jump in, but then I think that my current configuration is pretty darn strong, so why mess around with it?

It will be interesting to observe the initial user experiences and comments. I haven't visited the ZA forum for a while, but the members there are quite active - and vocal. :)

Cya,
    Rich

10. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I never understood why a firewall would monitor an antivirus .. They should be able to that themselves.
    Even if you turn this 'feature' off it still hogs from 9-25 mb of memory. The firewall I use now takes about 1-4mb at all times.
    It's not used by millions of users, but it's quite lightweight, fast and very secure (NDIS Miniport and TDI drivers).

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

SUITES..... :p :p :p

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There ya go... ;)

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Have often considered going to a better version myself....Backwards.... :D

14. richrf

richrf Registered Member

No doubt, ZoneAlarm is trying to add value to the base product so as to convert "free users" to "licensed users". They are trying to maintain a competitive position against Microsoft and also to get some increase in revenue. It seems that it is a fair effort, but from what I have read, nothing to write home about. I'll probably wait a while before I upgrade. After all, I want to get something for my $20. ;)

Rich

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ZoneLabs is trying something NEW in practice. Any company who does that, has my sympathy.
    Just give it a chance to prove itself.

16. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi ErikAlbert,

Yes, I am glad to see that ZoneAlarm is trying to do something. However, my brief read on their new product strikes me being rather uncreative - yet probably useful. According to a PC Mag review, it caught 2 out of 4 keyloggers and rated just below other anti-spyware that they tested. That is pretty poor, in my opinion, considering the resources available to ZoneAlarm. Certainly, I wouldn't trade-in ProcessGuard for this lesser protection. Sometimes, I get the feeling that my current configuration is going to last me a long time - which is of course great! :)

Rich

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I personally will reserve judgement on ZAP 6 until the final release comes out and I can have a good look at it. But I fear that one is perhaps better off using specialized individual proven programs for specific tasks instead of using a product that tries to do too much or too many things in one package. In other words, I think I would prefer to see ZAP remain just a firewall and do it well. But it's probably a little late for that now...

18. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

richrf,

I always considered security SUITES as lesser good than separate specialized softwares, because I can't believe that one company is a master in any kind of malware.
    Suites have always good parts, lesser good parts and even missing parts.
    Your post already proves it : a mediocre AS and AK and I wouldn't be surprised that the AV is also lesser good than NOD32 or KAV.
    ZoneLabs will improve it of course, but that counts for every security company.

A group of typical users is tired of using so many security softwares on their computers.
    They want an all-in-one security software and that's what suites are supposed to offer.
    Unfortunately suites don't have the same quality as separate softwares, but how many typical users are aware of this.

I was more interested in the results of "a unique new behavior-based strategy to block malware and spyware".
    I sincerely hope that it is MUCH MORE than just a bunch of sophisticated words to impress the typical users.

19. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi ErickAlbert,

I agree.

Rich

20. Cyborg

Cyborg Registered Member

Re:

I am a fully paid up member to Zonelabs and I did use ZA Pro and then foolishly upgraded to ZoneAlarm Security Suite.

The final straw with me and ZASS was when the beta of MSN 7.0 came out and major conflicts were encountered with the IM Secure built into ZASS. It however was not that simple and the forums were full of fixes etc even when ZaLabs were in the middle of a beta themselves. Did the experts listen to the customers rants and raves in the Forums? Not on your life.

I do not believe that Zone Labs could crack an egg at this moment in time let alone come up with a Spyware Prevention Barrier that will not screw up something else. We shall see O ye of little faith from past experience of woe's untold - (allow for the madness within me whereby I have to assume my Gollum status and chat to myself to reassure you, my precious, that all is not well in the world of ZASS). o_O

I know ZA Pro and ZASS is currently available as yet another Beta and yet nobody has answered me and the many others in the ZaLabs forums as to whether the conflicts with ZASS and MSN 7.0 have been fixed. I assume from the silence that the answer is no and people are turning their backs on ZASS in droves. Maybe this is why ZA are looking for another gimmick or maybe to counteract what Norton have done with their latest release of their Internet Security 2005 with Spyware.

Either way Security Suites suck or at least ZASS does, (don't knock the others dude you haven’t tried them. True my precious now rest a while and sleep). The same as with a Washer/Dryer, they never work as they should or if they do they cost so much in maintenance that you end up paying twice over. One tool for one job is the way to go.

I am currently trialing NOD32, which is excellent. I am also trialing Mailwasher Pro which again is superb. As for a Firewall I come here for advice. I will not be going back to ZoneAlarm, which despite its simplicity of use is not worth the hassle. In respect of ZASS, which is so full of useless "Gimmicks" that neither work and in some cases can be dangerous e.g. the Security Vault where you can deposit all of your banking details, credit cards. PayPal Password etc and you are then expected to feel Secure. I think not. Maybe I will go back to a free version as and when it is ok with MSN 7.0 as I did in the good ole days of ZA.

Is anybody a gamer who is using NOD32 and has a Firewall other than my current Firewall that is XP SP2. :D Well don't knock it its easy to use although if I believe what I read as a "Firewall," it is possibly as much use as a garbage bag with a hole in. Maybe though the critics that report this have a vested interest in making sure the cash flow comes in to the main players in the field of Firewall Security.

So gamers recommend a Firewall please that presents them with no issues such as XP SP2; one where they can use MSN 7.0 all day if they wish and where gaming is good and resources are not hogged and you can play PvP games and host games.

I play Guild Wars, UT2K4, BF2, Dawn Of War (host a game as well). You know the score if you game, so what should I go with if I want to continue with the fun but without being disconnected when on a killing spree or in mid flight in BF2. :'(

I prefer to pay for the software I use as, and I may be wrong, you don't seem to get something for nothing these days although when you pay for a product that sucks like ZASS you don't get your money back either. What is a crazy gamer to do? If there is a "reliable" free Firewall that is hot the same as SpyBot and Ad-Aware and SpyWareBlaster are hot, then speak up now and let the world know about it.

Oh can I ask while I am amongst friends, which is the best product out there to clean up the registry? I use CCleaner after I uninstall any programme and that seems to work for me. Now maybe it does not get deep down into the registry as a Dyson Hoover does to take out the fluff and mites that infest your carpet but it puts a smile on my face when I run it. Happiness when you sit silently in front of your monitor is as sweet as the last Cherry on the tree but this happiness is short lived if you are stupid enough to crack a tooth on the nut inside. You can't go calling for the tooth fairy once you go beyond a certain age. :(

Without a game you go insane when in a game you have nobody to blame.

21. Jack Harper

Jack Harper Guest

The firewall industry has being moving towards this for a long time. Remember all those attempts to defeat leak tests, everybody knew that it was not possible to do so working as merely a traditional network firewall.

It was inevitable that they morph into a full HIPS solution or system firewall as some like to call it.

A few firewall vendors are trying to resist the trend, but thanks to the pressure placed by members of forums such as this, I doubt they will hold out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.