Zone Alarm Older Versions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hogndog, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

2. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

I stayed with ZAP version 8.0.400.020 for a very long time on XP SP3.

I always thought at the time that this was the last great ZA version. After this version the firewall was trimmed down and the System Requirement Notes added that the new branch was optimised for Windows 7 and that full functionality was not guaranteed with XP.

Also I think it was somewhere about that time that Check Point bought out the original ZA company.

Anyway, Version 8 worked well with XP...just the AV was fairly useless...felt more comfortable with SAS and MBAM at the time.......but it updated fine on my system despite 'rumours' that this feature was turned off for old versions.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html#8.0.400.020

Also, my rules of thumb when updating ZAP were
    1) never to use the first 3 versions of a new branch;
    2) usually the last version of a branch was the best.
    3) always change / add to the uninstaller to "/ clean" to ensure a proper uninstall. I would also use CCleaner to remove temp files.

Have said the above, based on my own experience with ZAP, I believe most at this forum would suggest it's not best practice to run very old firewalls....there is the new exploits issue.

have a good day
    - feandur

3. hogndog

This is one of the best replies to a post I've had over the years exactly what i was looking for "I'm using XP SP3 as well"

Thank you so very much! ;)

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Exactly, ZA may suffer from undisclosed vulnerability and sub optimal protection. IMO, the last think you would do for your security is to run abandonware. There are plenty of options out there that are fully up to date and secure. :rolleyes:

5. hogndog

I wouldn't think of putting all of my eggs in one basket.. from what I've seen in the world of computing its beginning to look like most of the freeware available is struggling to keep a product on the table. Some of the most respected names have reverted to shady tactics -for instance - bundling applications like the "Ask Toolbar" in with the download to help pay for the cost to do business, hard to know who to trust.. :argh:

Sandboxie has been my mainstay as far as security.. Zone Alarm is one of the firewalls i haven't tested yet.. I'll have to find a copy to download first most of what I'm finding has been information.

6. fax

fax Registered Member

There is no "Ask toolbar" in ZA and you can install ZA without the ZA toolbar or simply remove it afterwords (XP add/remove programs --> ZA security toolbar) :)

Latest ZAfree version can be found here:
    Looking for the latest version?

Just try it, if you don't like it then move to the next free and up-to-date firewall :D thats the best way to make an informed and safe choice.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  7. hogndog

I'm working on different ways to protect this computer without adding too much.. in my opinion a decent firewall should be able to protect a computer if configured properly and from what I've heard Zone Alarm would be one to qualify.. Talk about abandonware I've been trying to get some information from the developer of Peer Block.. so far without much success..

Thanks for the input.. ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  8. fax

fax Registered Member

ZA is normally solid and safe choice and if it works under your configuration its a install and forget type of software. Not very much on fashion in here. So, don't expect excited input from wilders users. But there is also the positive side of it... less people using it less interest will attract from malware writers :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  9. hogndog

I'm about ready to install Zone Alarm Free 10.2.074.000.. Between Fax and the review by the crew at Softpedia they seem to think its a good choice.. That and i haven't tried this firewall after all these years spent on this machine. Is there anything i should know before i install it any boxes to tic any i shouldn't? :)

Thanks..
    Hogndog

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
  10. fax

fax Registered Member

No specific recommendation apart from not having any third party firewall installed (even if disabled). Windows firewall should be turned ON before installing ZA. ZA will take care of disabling it. This way, even if you disable ZA, windows firewall will automatically kick-in.

If you are allergic to toolbars just ensure to select the "custom" install and deselect the toolbar and offers to install the free suite (firewall + AV). Install the rest at default to have ZA in AUTOLEARN (programs will be given automatic permissions). Keep it for a couple/three weeks and then move ZA application control from MEDIUM to MAX.

If you are behind a router, set your network in ZA as "trusted" (after install you will be prompted) and then do not fall in temptation to move the ZA firewall trusted zone settings to HIGH (common mistake amongst many users) and keep to default MEDIUM.

If otherwise, you are paranoid about connection from whatever sources then follow the suggestions here: http://forums.zonealarm.com/showpost.php?p=292030&postcount=3 but I would not recommend this approach. ZA works best with: "don't mess or block trusted/safe programs, its not the purpose of a ZA" :)

Unless ZA does not like your system, you will be "set and forget". If otherwise, don't try to fix it. Simply move on to another solution :D

Hope this help.

Cheers,
    Fax

11. fax

fax Registered Member

BTW, noticing this now. Not applicable to any version 10 line. The uninstall process was revamped and a removal tool is available if you have problems to remove ZA.

No, this was way before. To go back to non-checkpoint ZA version you need to move back at least to version 5 (2004/5). Version 8 was already fully checkpoint era :)

Not so useless since it was already equipped with Kaspersky Antivirus. You need to go back to version 6 for which CA engine was used (pretty weak indeed - to be kind).

Sorry for rectifying but sometimes I see whatever "spam" been posted about ZA and at least on some respectful and constructive posts like yours I needed to amend to provide the full picture. :thumb:

Cheers,
    Fax

12. hogndog

Everything went well, opted out of the toolbar but it installs the file just the same. No sign of a toolbar in any of my 3 browsers, i wouldn't have known about it until Win Patrol popped up and said it was attempting to install the file and without thinking i clicked the O.k. icon. If need be i can uninstall the file but at this point it doesn't seem to be harming anything it states that it is protecting my machine.. Don't those developers realize that when they install extras behind the scenes the client won't catch it, then when discovered it creates a feeling of distrust.. :(

*edit* forgot to add the name of the toolbar: Zone Alarm LTD. Toolbar ISWSVC

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  13. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

The toolbar hasn't been installed as you unticked that option but the file you refer to is the anti-phishing component.

14. Feandur

No worries Fax :thumb:

Just doing my best to share my experiences.......but, Memory is fading quicker than my hair :D

Version 8 was the last I used I believe [dated July 2009 in my archive]...My comments refer accordingly.

PS: wrt the AV I meant to say Spyware scanner....it never found anything except the occasional FP. That's just my experience.

Hogndog......

You may / may not be aware of Donna's "Installers Hall of Shame" at Calendar of Updates........

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/up...lendar&cal_id=1&code=showevent&event_id=44514

It lists all 'sus' software with unwanted extras.....

It may / may not be of help.

- cheers,
    feandur

15. hogndog

Ha! Thanks for that.. I'll have to save that link.. I'm not angry it was just a wee moment of disappointment and besides I'm well aware that "Every" vendor has something to hide.. :argh:

Thanks..
    Hogndog

16. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, Pjb024 is correct, this is a component of the ZA web security together with forcefield. Just turn off the web protection from the GUI (I can't recall how is named in the free version, sorry) and they will be gone.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  17. fax

fax Registered Member

LoL, no problem :thumb:

Also the above "Hall of Shame" is outdated ;) :D ZA does not use the conduit toolbar anymore. Just an ad-hoc toolbar designed for them, better behaving than the conduit toolbar.

18. hogndog

I'm happy with the firewall its everything i heard it would be.. just doing its job by protecting this computer..

Thanks for all of your help.. :thumb:
    Hogndog

19. fax

fax Registered Member

You're welcome! :)

20. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

21. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes and apparently no one took over Donna valuable work :(

22. Feandur

very sad indeed to hear that Donna passed away. I did not know that.

thanks for that update pjb024

- feandur.

23. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

I have V 8.0.298.000 . Where can I DL V 8.0.400.020 ?

24. hogndog

Running the newest version without any mishaps :ouch: may be due to the fact that I'm not running an overabundance of antispyware antivirus antimalware applications I'm beginning to think Zone Alarm was created to fight off the bad guys as a stand alone both past and present versions. My machine isn't feeling bogged down not many popups not many problems of any sort.. Maybe it just hasn't had the chance to get rowdy yet.. :argh:

25. hogndog

You that have Zone Alarm already know this but i just found out about it today. When downloading W.O.T for IE8 that firewall grabbed the download and controlled the entire process telling me that it was safe to continue if i wanted then asked me "yes" or "no".. :)

Thought that was pretty neat..
    Hogndog

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.