Zone Alarm 3.1 Beta

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by eyespy, Jul 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

2. controler

controler Guest

Thanks eyespy

I am game for this one :D Looks good
    as usual LOL

3. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

YW Controler
    And thanks Pete !!

bill ;)

4. SPYWARE: beta version 3.1 has an automatic updater that can not be disabled......the choice between manually updating or automatically updating is grayed out.
    how would zonelabs know if an update was needed unless the program called-home.....an why is the the choices grayed out.......beta or not.....this gives zonelabs total access to your computer...to install whatever it decides.......looks like zonelabs did the same as what M$ did with the recent patch for WMP

5. controler

controler Guest

I aggree 100 percent
    I always disable autoupdate grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Could be a bug?
    I would dought they would intentionaly produce spywear.
    They know there is way to many eyes on them and way too much at stake..
    I haven't installed it yet.
    Do they have a Beta Forum?
    I didn't see one, but then there is no link to this beta from their front page either

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Heard over on DSL that the betas come with the automatic update set - they need them that way to collect data on program errors encountered during beta-testing.

Who knows? Pete

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

It IS beta software after all...I wouldn't be surprised if automatic updates were on.

In fact, it's probably the best way of getting bug fixes out to the beta testers as quickly as possible. (E-mail tends to take too long, and this way, they hopefully won't get tons of similar bug reports AFTER a bug has been fixed, since everyone will update).

I'm sure the option to manually update will be enabled once the final version of ZoneAlarm 3.1 is out.

-javacool

8. marti

marti Registered Member

I have never "signed up" to run a ZA beta. However, I do know that there is a system in place for beta users to report back to Zone Labs. I don't know what that system involves.

I suggest that if you need more information about any "beta" feature, the best solution is through the communications links provided to ZA beta testers.

Posting your question in a public forum has obviously not answered your question.

9. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Marti,
    I haven't tried the newest Beta version of ZA, so I can't comment on ZA calling home with "bug reports" or looking for an "update". But if the members say that it does, I'll assume just that !
    As far as I knew, Beta testers could send ZA logs, opinions, reports and bugs "manually", by sending them via E-Mail to an addy provided by ZA .

regards,
    bill

10. marti

marti Registered Member

Bill,

I don't know the answer either. We need more feedback on this one.

marti

11. controler

controler Guest

We worry about Cookies, Temp Files, Visited URLS, ect.

SO what info can a intruder get about a person just from looking at the firewall log files ? These should be deleted just as any other file containing personal info.

12. marti

marti Registered Member

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Thanks for the heads-up on the reply, marti! Pete

14. controler

controler Guest

This Beta License Will expire in 54 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Don't bother

15. controler

controler Guest

Guess I will go with Nortons Firewall Plus his Antivirus , since they play well together.
    I bet if your dad drove a chevy or ford, you do too?
    Same goes with antivirus and Firewalls.
    One thing you all need to remember.
    Norton was around way before any of the rest of the software makers
    and will continue to be long after. Microsofts attempt at antivirus was short lived because of Norton, nobody else.
    ALL other software venders took their Q from Norton. Nortoin is a leader not a follower. If he truley decides not to detect government worms, then I will stop using his softwar along with many others. So far it is just a rumor. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.