ZIP download Strangeness

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by StevieO, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Has this ever happened to you ? because quite a few times it has to me.

Sometimes i've DL'd a zipped file and as it's being unpacked into a new folder i've created, i get a messages like this. Do you want to replace xxxx with yyyy.

As it's a brand new folder with nothing in before the unzipping, how come it wants to replace things that aren't there ? If it's trying to replace files that are in it's own ZIP file, well why should it want to do that ?

I've experimented with both accepting and denying these alerts, and sometimes the App etc works, but often it doesn't, or not properly anyway. So i DL the full install version instead.

What's it all about Alfie ?

TIA

StevieO

2. StevieO

BUMP

Nobody have any ideas ?

StevieO

3. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

Hmm sounds like you accident found futoroot installed in your system! Have you being playing with such things? Time to crack out your rootkit treasure trove! :)

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Steve

Just out of curiosity do you ever look at what is in those zip files, before trying to unzip them. Also some of them could have paths and so they are trying to go somewhere else. I've never seen this, but this should raise a big flag somewhere.

Pete

5. StevieO

DA

Ooh dear so you think i might have one of those pesky rutekite things do you, i do hope not ! I'll run spywareblaster and see if that helps.

Pete

Hi, they seem to be in the main, from what i can remember, readme files, not always but quite a few are. No big deal with the readme's, but there shouldn't be Any files in there that want to overwrite themselves !

Yes i do look, but who would really know what's supposed to be in there and not, apart from the coders ?

I do scan Everything with quality products beforehand.

If something is a stand alone Non install App, then nothing should want to live anywhere except in the new folder, i would have thought ? Yes it raises a flag or 3, but which ones lol.

Thanks

StevieO

6. StevieO

Here's a very quick example of what i was referring to earlier.

I DL a Zipped start button renamer App out of curiosity, as linked to by clique in this thread - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=731247 - The size of Zip Archive is 366 Kb - http://www.geocities.com/startbtn/

I created a new folder and started to extract the Zip into it and got this

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8819/rep17mi.png

Now it's obvious that you can't have two files of the same name in the same location, and that's why it prompts. Presuming vendors already know this, it's very strange that they include files with the same name in Zips, and not just read me's either on occasions ?

StevieO

7. StevieO

Since my last post i've experimented with using 7Zip instead. For some reason unlike WinZip, 7Zip unpacks everything correctly into seperate folders within a main folder, just as it should be !

Problem, what problem ? well only with WinZip not doing as expected !

StevieO

8. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

What are your settings when you extract the WinZip file? Were the full pathnames saved in the WinZip file?

The reason I ask is that when a WinZip file is created it can be created to preserve the full pathnames of the files, or it can be created with just a relative pathname focus including subfolders - i.e. no fullpathnames preserved in the WinZip file contents.

So, when you extract to a newly created folder the question becomes what are your settings for extraction? For example, I have created a C:\Downloads folder and create a new folder for each different product source and I will often extract to that same folder which will drop the new setup.exe file and/or accompanying files into the folder.

If you specify retention of the fullpathname on extraction then the bulk of the contents will not go to the newly created folder, but some other loacation. If OTOH, you do a relative extract, there should be no duplicate files unless they were/could added without replacement to the WinZip file which may account for what you are seeing.

Try a little experiment to create two different readme.txt files in different directories and check the fullpathname block when you create the WinZip file. Then create a new folder and try to extract without using the full pathname property to the new folder. This should result in your situation.

-- Tom

9. StevieO

lotuseclat79

Thanks for the helpful advice and suggestions you offered me. I'll look into it next time i try and use WinZip.

StevieO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.