ZeroSpyware Update?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have the free version of ZS, and the last update was 9/25. It does seem to be checking, but if I go to the manual update it tells me that the server has encountered an error and could not handle the updates.

I am using it on demand only.

Anyone else using ZS, and if so what is the last update?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hey JerryM, if you haven't already please take another look at the thread on Zero Spyware you posted in. While there's nothing bad there, you may want to think about using Spyware Terminator or SuperAntiSpyware for an on demand scanner. ST will update almost everyday with no problem, and SA seems to update everyday also without incident. Just an opinion here, but I used the new version of ZS, and for me it just seemed to be too full of unusable features and I didn't like it's slow initialization when starting it from it's short cut in the programs menu. It does get good reviews however, and some of it's features are nice, but the other two AS programs just seem to me to be overall a little better.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Duke,

I removed ZS. Unfortunately it somehow messed up KAV6 in that it does not show in the sys tray. It is active, however. All was well until I uninstalled ZS. This is the first program that I have removed that caused any problems.

I am sure someone on the Kaspersky forums will help there.

I do have SAS, and it was active, but I wanted to try the beta Counterspy 2.0 so that is the active AS application.

Best,
    Jerry

4. duke1959

I had simular problems once after uninstalling an older version of Arovax Shield as it removed Avast from start up and thus no icon in system tray. I did a system restore which took care of it. Not sure it would help in your case or not, but even if wouldn't, does KAV have a license or anything that would prevent you from trying to reinstall it? I'm currently using AOL AVS which is a free version of Kaspersky Antivirus, and it was fine after uninstalling ZeroSpyware yesterday. I hope it works out for you and you get help. I would be interested to know however, if a simple system restore did the trick or what you had to do to fix it. Take care, and let me know

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have a 2 year license for KAV, and have been working on the problem all morning. I'll keep at it, and hope soon to find the solution. The Kaspersky forum folks are helping.

Best,
    Jerry

6. duke1959

Great to here you're at least getting help. I feel it will workout for you. Please keep me informed. I am someone who doesn't like it when something isn't working properly on my PC, and I want everything to turn out ok for you because of this.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Duke.
    It is very frustrating when the problem hangs on in spite of one's best efforts. In addition I am not very knowledgeable here.

I post when I get it fixed. At some point I feel like removing it, and putting something else on for awhile. While I am going through the pain is a good time to try something else that I did not want to try because I did not want to disturb what was working.o_O

Best,
    Jerry

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Duke,
    I finally was able to fix it with some good advice. Not sure why the "avp.exe" disappeared from the start folder, but it did, and when I put it back it worked OK.

Thanks for the interest.
    Jerry

9. duke1959

Like i said, one time after uninstalling Arovax Shield it removed Avast from start up. I'm glad you got it resolved. I'm assuming it was ZeroSpyware, or was it something else? I just did a scan using Adaware for the heck of it, and it found some files not found by my other programs. But guess what? It removed a file from AOL AVS that I had to replace by using the update. Crazy huh? if you want more details let me know.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Duke,
    I'm not sure what the cause was, and it took me all day to get it resolved.
    I guess that some of the programs tend to hook into others. I am not sure about that, but I wonder why removing one messes up another.

I would not be surprised that an update was a contributor to my problem, but I cannot say with any confidence that it was the case.

I don't use Adaware, but am a little surprised that it impacted AOL AVS. Who knows why?

The thread relative to my problem is on Kaspersky forums.
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=22431

Regards,
    Jerry

11. duke1959

Long story short JerryM, is that AVS notified me that a file was missing from it's blacklist. This only happened after the scan with Adaware when it flagged files that were connected to Spyware Nuker and I Quarantined them. That's when I noticed a message that a file was missing from AVS. As I said an update took care of this, but instaed of playing around I simply uninstalled Adaware. It's the only connection that I can think of that may have caused it. I know I heard about an Antispyware by a name I no longer remember, flagging files from SpywareBlaster already too. Oh well it doesn't matter now as everything is ok, and again I'm glad your problem is solved. You obviously had a much rougher time than my simple fix. Take care, and I'll look for any post you may write in the future.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Duke,
    Re Zero Spyware, I got an email telling me that they have been into disaster wherein even their internet service providers were down and unable to
    operate.

They will inform when the servers are fixed.

Best,
    Jerry

13. duke1959

Hey Jerrym, looks like other Kaspersky and AVS users had problem of corrupt blacklist file, so Adaware's not to blame. Still it's the only scanner that picks up Spyware Nuker and only on my account and not my wife's. Oh well, I still have SuperAntiSpyware, Spyware Terminator, and Ewido Anti-Spyware which is already too many AS programs. LOL. As far as ZeroSpyware, I just wish the free version initialized faster when starting it from it's Start All Programs Shortcut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.