ZeroSpyware free?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kdm31091, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I hate to make so many threads in one day and I promise I'll slow down but anyway...

I found on Download.com a "ZeroSpyware Free" download. It says Free, No limitations. There is NO free version on the actual Zerospyware site though, which made me wary.

Upon installation, I see that the "subscription" has no expiration, and some features are only available in the "paid" version. However, is the free version just the 15-day-trial or a seperate freebie?

2. Consoleman

Consoleman Registered Member

Isn't ZeroSpyware used to be rogue antispy program, I wouldn't install it anyway :thumbd:

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As far as I know it is legitimate but i don,t know how good is it. It used to perform a little above average on PC.Mag tests.
    There was a long thread here about ZerOspyware that indicated that they do have a free version( lite). U can search about it.
    However I was surprized that it was such a big download and can be done only by an installer, no way while on dial up, so i never tried it.

4. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

Wasn't there a long thread about it early this year?

Again, there were doubts expressed, which was mostly dispelled when the PR guy came to post in this forum (surprisingly how good products suddenly look when some company representative starts posting on Wilders!)

Then some guys jumped on the bandwagon swearing it was the best thing since beer (not a big deal as you think, because these guys swear that once every couple of months) ,

It became high profile enough that a subsequent antispyware test was critised by some users for not including zero antispyware and SAS hence it wasn't valid or something.

Anyhow, it seems this support didn't last and the supporters moved on to supporting something else cooler.

The star of Super antispyware seems to be shining bright lately, which accumulated it being included in Spyware Warrior's recommended list.

No doubt the active presence of Nick here and else through out the net helped a lot in it's acceptance.

5. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

A-MEN!!! I've noticed this as well. Depending on the vendor and his/her presense (and FREQUENCY of presense) and attitude seems to determine which products many members here like and recommend, and/or which ones they will bash on a regular basis. There definitely is a direct correlation in that regard.....

6. muf

muf Registered Member

The pair of you, stop being ridiculous. Or is it melodramatic? SuperAntispyware has been around for over 2 years. It was firstly integrated into SuperAdBlocker. You make it out like this app came out a week ago, then the author visits forums, then people use it and claim it's the messiah, then the vendor vanishes and then the people move on to something else? Is that it or did i miss your point? I think you guys should take a reality check! Maybe SuperAntispyware is new to you two, but for some people, well they have been using it for over two years while using the company's SuperAdBlocker. The only thing Nick has done is release a stand alone version and then answer a few question's posed to him. Is it easier to make negative comments? You know there's always the possibility you can ignore the threads assocated with the software that isn't what you use. Ah, but that would be too easy wouldn't it. You wouldn't be making any posts that way as negative is the only way you do things. Look up the word positive in a dictionary, honestly it exists. You'll be amazed at it's definition.

muf

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

" However, is the free version just the 15-day-trial or a seperate freebie?"

This has to be a seperate "freebie".
    I remember the time limited trial version was fully functional.

One obvious reason that you are hearing of two other antispyware programs more-simply because they are free! Not to say that they are or are not good programs.Free always draws a lot of attention.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Lets drop the personal quips and attacks and keep on topic
    bigc

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yep, ZeroSpyware has a free version. I got even a free one-year license, but I don't believe in scanners. So I dropped ZeroSpyware, including SUPERAntiSpyware.
    Repeating my opinion about scanners over and over again in each scanner forum would make a parrot of me. I repeated myself more than enough about scanners.
    I still use them myself (trial/free versions) without enthousiasm, until I find something else.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

couple of posts removed.

To all:

As was requested above...."drop the personal quips and keep on topic"....which happens to be about "ZeroSpyware free?" and not about other like programs. There are numerous ongoing discussions concerning those specific programs in this same forum and would ask that We simply visit those threads Please.

Bubba

11. muf

muf Registered Member

Being that you have installed it, could you let me know does this 'restricted' version clean or just scan and give results?

I'd be interested in using it as a free scanner as i tried it a while back and liked it. But i'm not after a real time AS as i have that already. So can you confirm does ZS free version clean?

muf

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I just d/l and ran the first scan. I like to share my experience w/ forum viewers. First you need d/l a downloader (108 kb) from web site and then use it to d/l an installer(20246 kb) at 15 kb/sec on DSL(image it will be a pain on neck for dial-up), by the time it is done i could have BBQ my T-bone steak well done. It comes w/ limited realtime protection, and def update rate is still unknown. Configuration is a piece of cake (or no brainer), smoothsailing indeed. During scan (full), it costs 63 MB of my 512 MB and CPU usage is reasonable(I have cpu cool app). And length of scan is bearable. It is a freeware, therefore, if you are currently using superantispyware free or its alike, you do owe youself a great opportunity discovering another gem.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s really a stupid way to offer a download.

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,foks: I concur your assessment. It is indeed not very smart way to introduce a program; however, if you can overcome this hurdle, you will be suprised what you are getting. I got first def update today, only 10 sec w/ DSL connection, not too bad at all. As I mentioned last time, it is a freeware and I am more convinced that you may owe yourself a click of mouse to visit this app.

15. kdm31091

Might just be me but on my computer's boot when I had this installed, it literally only displayed Zero splash screen for about 3 minutes before loading the desktop. Unacceptable slowdown.

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Yes, if you start it w/ window startup. This symptom reminds me of Spyware Doctor. I would start it after computer is fully booted and only need it for real time protection. I use it mainly for scanner-on demand only.

17. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I was just wondering if anyone is still using this program, and if so what do they like about it? If we are to believe the Spyware Comparison Tests here in this Forum, then ZeroSpyware certainly did well in comparison to some paid AntiSpyware Programs.

18. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I wonder the free version is still available. I have it in use on one of my pcs.. According to a viewer from downloads.com claiming as of sept.21, 06, the link to free version are d/l paid version only and his email has been bounced back. weired? Hope someone can confirm this.

19. the Tester

I ran the paid version for a year and the only negative I saw was the slowdown in startup.
    I have read in various forums that people are having trouble finding the free version.Getting the trial version in the download is common as of late.

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I think this is free.
    http://www.download.com/ZeroSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-10549969.html?tag=lst-0-3

Jerry

21. the Tester

That looks like it might be the free edition.
    It's hard to tell though by the size of download.
    That small file there is just the first part.You d/l that and execute it to download the entire program.

22. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I went ahead and installed it from download.com and it is the free version. It was ok, but it informs you when a feature is only available in the paid version if you click on something the free version doesn't offer. Not only didn't I like this, but the all so slow scan put me off a little bit as well, and it took for ever for it to initialize when you opened it from the Program Menu. I could live with the slow scan, but not the slow initializing. It's detection is probably better than many other freewares, and for someone that has no protection at all it does have a guard for host, and browser protection along with some immunization features, but nothing major. I guess to sum it up. I personally rather have Ewido Anti-Spyware Free version and Spyware Terminator as on demand scanners, than ZeroSpyware Free at least for now.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  23. kdm31091

Also ZeroSpyware majorly slowed my startup when I tried it after finding it. IMO Not worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.