Zer0 - Secured file deletion made easy

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Kyle_Katarn, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

i know id love it ;)

2. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

3. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

BCWipe will do this. All system or user generated delete commands go through their driver. It's called "Transparent Wiping". Zer0 is cool though, it fills a need I have, perfectly, thanks for writing it!

PD

5. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thank you !

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I downloaded this earlier and decided to give it a try tonight.

I personally don't like your using Relative Knowledge for income with this software. There are a lot of different things that might actually benefit the user, but Relevant Knowledge? It's spyware - not adware - it's outright spyware. Read the TOS for this insidious program. I know that CA Tech and several others denied appeals from this company and they've called it spyware.

A bigger problem: I just downloaded your software and ticked the reject for Relevant Knowledge and still got an instant MBAM warning to quarantine.

LINKER.DLL
    TROJAN.DOWNLOADER

The old MBAM database (still on another computer) didn't flag it, as I tried after seeing this on my laptop. The latest database from today flags linker.dll as a trojan - right after your 'update'...

Combined with the use of Relevant Knowledge in your Zer0 software , I must admit to being a bit suspicious. And, by the way, what a weird marketing affiliate (Relevant Knowledge) for a piece of privacy software(!)

EDIT: After I closed out the windows, I saw another warning. This one from my Cox Business VPN that gave a warning for trojan download attempt. You also have Babylon Toolbar and Bing Search Toolbar and several others installed with PowerPack. This is just too much for software ostensibly for "privacy."

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  7. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Hi !

As far as mbam is concerned, i'll double check as we do not bundle any file named linder.dll ...

Concerning RK, i remind you that you will find on our download page 2 alternative installers :
    - NoRK : No relevant knowledge
    - Lite : No sponsor at all

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I cannot even access the website kcsoftware. Firefox says Server not Found.

9. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Just checked : it works !

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Ah! Just found out the problem. Emsisoft Antimalware blocks your website. Please inform Emsisoft and solve this problem.

11. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Good catch:thumb:

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Thx buddy :)

13. happyyarou666

dont you use bcwipe with tc fde, i wouldnt recommend it since it could mess up your hidden volume or am i wrong? and if the mentioned setup is used bcwipe wouldnt be required since a regular windows issued delete will mark that cluster as free and hence the cluster being random data again ,once again if im wrong please do correct me ;)

p.s: pauly for what would you use zero if bcwipe does everything zero does ,times a million?

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

How does it compare against Hardwipe? Does it do anything extra?

15. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I have about 10 computers, all configured differently, for different things. BCWipe doesn't interfere with FDE at all. Not all my computers are FDE, or not all partitions on some are FDE. This is for a machine where I install almost nothing, for stability, yet want to get rid of the occasional sensitive file.

PD

16. happyyarou666

sounds like im gona get me some bcwipe then...maybe xD , its kinda redundant with fde and all but i still like the idea that every delete command actually does a real delete, thou i cant imagine it being that good for the ssd in the long run , as already said if using TC with fde a secure wipe program should not be required but for any other non TC volume its a must have ;)

p.s: i asume the previous problems with 6 have been fixed aka complete reinstalls of 3 pcs, pauly? or should i stick with 5 if at all ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  17. Tyrizian

Avast detects Zer0 as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program).

You may want to fix this

Here is the screenshot I captured:
    PUPZero.png

18. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Use the "NoRK" installer from our web site (sponsor blocked... IMHO totally false positive)

19. Tyrizian

I just wanted to bring this to your attention, just in case it hasn't been brought up before.

It would be nice if the "false positive" was taken care of, without the user downloading the "NoRk" installer. I dunno, just my two sense.

20. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Of course, i'll address the false positive case with AVAST ASAP.

21. Tyrizian

Good deal, keep up the good work :thumb:

22. LockBox

It is not a false positive, Kyle. Secure Knowledge is spyware. Like I said, it goes beyond adware - it is spyware.

So, you offer the program without the infections - why offer them at all? I understand wanting a sponsor to help pay for your time and expenses and maybe even room for profit, but why bundle it with spyware? Why bundle your program for market affiliating purposes with known hucksters and privacy invaders? There are too many other choices for affiliate marketing than to go with Secure Knowledge. That's just an insult.

Taking over my computer ceases to make the software "free."

I don't get the lack of outrage here.

23. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

comScore, makers of RK is a well known US company and they have been listed on TRUSTe white list for years. MAny users are not complaining about RK and i've been using it for tests as well. It is very easy to uninstall and nothing remains after that.

But for users who reject the RK concept, you can either reject it as installation (and NOTHING from RK will be left on your PC) or using NoRK or Lite (no sponsor at all) installers.

24. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thank you !

25. LockBox

I thought this guy said it well in a response to RK:

MrGoodguy May 1, 2012 at 00:56:33 Pacific

http://cleanbytes.net/relevant-know...
    http://www.expertsupportnow.com/122...
    http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-r...
    http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/p...
    http://gsa.ca.com/pest/pest.aspx?ID...
    And there are many more links, my problem is you track users spending and transactions as well as their browsing habits. Then you give this information to third parties for cash. And when cash is involved privacy takes a turn for the worst....

If it was the the police in most Country's doing what you guys do you would need a Court order and a search warrant.
    http://www.computing.net/answers/se...ing-file-rlvknlgexe-is-not-a-virus/37730.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.