Zenwalk 6.4

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Gullible Jones, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Has been released. And now it finally has a kernel that my netbook can handle.

I must try this. Zenwalk has always been a bit quirky for me, but it works very well as a desktop distro despite its minor bugs, and has in my experience been surprisingly stable.

(Also it's got nice package management, kind of along the lines of the BSDs. I just wish they'd fix the command line version to be a bit faster.)

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. Zenwalk has always been one of my favorites. I will definitely have to try this one....

Edit: Hmmm... wonder when the live cd will be updated?

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. Dunno. But I'm using it now, and I like it a lot. Very fast, all kinds of cool stuff in the repos, great set of default applications... And no stability problems at all so far. This could be a Windows-killer for me.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, just installed it on my laptop and it's great, no issues at all so far. Still exploring though... Always did like this one. Light, quick, simple and well done.

5. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I tried it as well yesterday evening. It picked up my bcm 4312 rev 1 Intel wireless card immediately. Impressive. But, to be honest, Xfce was always too spartan for my liking.

Later...

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Why dont you admit you have been spoiled rotten by Ubuntu, I know I am and many others as well. :D

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

OK! OK! You forced it outta me....I admit it! ;). But seriously, I've tried many, many distros over the last 5+ years and many were quite good but none of them appealed to me as much as Ubuntu does. I accepted it long ago...I'm an Ubuntu fanatic and loyalist...but I still like to try different distros.

Later...

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Same here. I think most of us enjoy trying out all the various distros. It's just part of the fun of it all...

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

How do you install WMaker on it? I though it was part of the distro? (at least according to DistroWatch)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.