Zeitgeist Logs In Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by hogndog, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

This application came as a surprise i didn't know it existed.. o_O

Zeitgeist service comes pre-installed in Ubuntu and logs all activity such as files accessed, visited websites, etc. Activity Log Manager Zeitgeist is a GUI based application which lets you gain control of the information that Zeitgeist logs. It allows creating blacklists according to file or application type to disable logging for specified applications and user activities. This ensures that your personal information can be controlled from showing up in Zeitgeist logs. For example, you can use Activity log Manager to disabled logging for visited websites, certain file types (e.g. Libre Office files) and so on.

Sounded like that thing Google did/does collecting our history, what's up with these jokers, I'm probably just overreacting like i did with spy cookies.. :shifty:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=99

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

At least it can be disabled, or removed from the source code entirely.

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Its a tool for collecting metadata, similar to the search built into windows 7 and newer, allows for better organisation and searching of user data, which is what Unity uses for its searches and categorisation.

Can you explain what the security/privacy issues are ?

Cheers, Nick.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.