zdnet: who has the most popular av now

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/...ampaign=Feed: zdnet/security (ZDNet Zero Day)

Which is the most popular antivirus software?

By Dancho Danchev | June 27, 2012, 10:06am PDT

Summary: Using a data set consisting of 120,000 data points, researchers from OPSWAT estimate that Avast is the market share leader in the antivirus software market.

In an over-crowded antivirus software market, end and corporate users are often finding it difficult to differentiate between a value-added market proposition, next to the “me too” vendors of solutions. As in every other market segment, any scientific insight into the market share of various vendors offers an invaluable perspective into the market dynamics, what are customers purchasing, and most importantly, are they living in a world of ‘false feeling of security’.

Using a data set consisting of 120,000 data points, researchers from OPSWAT recently released an informative overview of the antivirus market, answering an important question - which is the most popular antivirus vendor?

According to their findings, that’s avast! Free Antivirus, followed by Microsoft Security Essentials and ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

Detailed market share statistics:

Avast - 17.4% worldwide market share
    Microsoft - 13.2% worldwide market share
    ESET - 11.1% worldwide market share
    Symantec - 10.3% worldwide market share
    AVG - 10.1% worldwide market share
    Avira - 9.6% worldwide market share
    Kaspersky - 6.7% worldwide market share
    McAfee - 4.9% worldwide market share
    Panda - 2.9% worldwide market share
    Trend Micro - 2.8% worldwide market share
    Other - 11.1% worldwide market share

Microsoft is the market leader in North America, followed by Symantec and AVG. Not surprisingly, the market leading avast! Free Antivirus is relying on the so called “freemium” business model, where the company grows and gains market share by offering a free alternative of their software, and earns revenue thanks to the successful conversion of free users to paid ones. Earlier this year, the company announced that it has 150 million active users worldwide, a clear indication of a working “freemium” business model.

Just how relevant is antivirus nowadays? In a recently released study entitled “Measuring the Cost of Cybercrime“, researchers argue that less money should be spent on purchasing antivirus software, and more money in tracking down and prosecuting cybercriminals. Next to these conclusions, F-Secure’s Mikko Hypponen recently admitted that antivirus software failed in Stuxnet and Flame’s cases, provoking more discussion on the actual applicability of antivirus software in today’s mature cybercrime ecosystem.

What do you think? In antivirus software still relevant in the age of Stuxnet, Duqu and Flame, the so called poster kids of the DIY targeted attack toolkits and weaponized malware releases? Do think free antivirus is offering a ‘false feeling of security’ compared to subscription based license models?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
  2. tysonn1

tysonn1 Registered Member

Microsoft owns the second placeo_O I'm really surprised!!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Free AV, why be surprised?

I'm glad free AV is dominating, most are better than their paid-for counterparts.

4. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

When I had looked at OPSWAT figures quite some time ago, those two companies were fairly evenly represented in the report. Looks like Avira's shenanigans with dodge-ware companies and intrusive popups have affected their marketshare.

Avast sure took a lot of free Avira Antivir users! That would be the logical alternative for free users leaving Avira.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  5. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

OPSWAT figures for Avast vs Avira since 2010:

June 2012:
    Vendor
    Avast Software: 17.4% (first place)
    Avira GmbH: 9.6% (sixth place)

Product
    Avast free: 13.5% (first place)
    Avira free: 7.5% (fourth place)

March 2012:
    Vendor
    Avast Software: 16.26% (first place)
    Avira GmbH: 11.65% (second place)

Product:
    Avast free: 11.51% (first place)
    Avira free: 10.01% (second place)

December 2011:
    Vendor
    Avast Software: 15.92% (first place)
    Avira GmbH: 12.13% (second place)

Product
    Avast free: 11.51% (first place)
    Avira free: 10.01% (second place)

September 2011:
    Vendor
    Avast Software: 16.61% (first place)
    Avira GmbH: 10.81% (third place)

Product:
    Avast free: 11.99% (first place)
    Avira free: 9.05% (third place)

June 2011:
    Vendor
    Avast Software: 12.37% (first place)
    Avira GmbH: 12.29% (third place)

Product:
    Avast free: 8.66% (third place)
    Avira free: 10.18% (second place)

March 2011
    Vendor
    Avast Software: 16.19% (first place)
    Avira GmbH: 13.22% (second place)

Product:
    Avast free: 11.55% (first place)
    Avira free: 10.98% (second place)

December 2010
    Vendor
    Avast Software: 8.26% (sixth place)
    Avira GmbH: 17.53% (first place)

Product
    Avast free: 11.67% (first place)
    Avira free: 6.57% (fourth place)

June 2010
    Vendor
    Avast Software: 19.14% (first place)
    Avira GmbH: 11.39% (second place)

Product:
    Avast free: 11.45% (first place)
    Avira free: 9.19% (second place)

Conclusion
    I need to use my time on weekends better.

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I'm shocked by ESET. Other than some people on this forum, I have never met anyone that used it.

7. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Keep in mind that OPSWAT collect the data for the report in a funny way:

1/ Enterprise/Corporate users who use the OESIS Framework tools to determine things like software compatibility/compliance

2/ Anyone who has downloaded the tool 'Appremover' in order to either remove a security product, or look for leftovers from a previous security product.

8. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I have seen ESET in Doctor offices but so far that's the only place I have seen it.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Avast! is still by far the best free option out there, so there's no surprise for me.
    It's the only free AV i recommend and install. :D

10. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

It seems popular with software 'pirates' for some reason - see illegitimate copies on machines more than any other paid for AV. In fact the only times I ever see an ESET product are from people using illegitimate copies.

Kind of proves what should be common sense: pirated antivirus programs don't protect you like a legitimate copy would.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

That's not exactly true but i wouldn't rely on a software that has been hacked. It may stop working for some stupid random reason or not do it's job as it should. Either way, with so many good free alternatives, using hacked AV makes little to no sense. But ppl still do it.

12. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

+1. Avast provides features in its free ediition that other companies charge a premium for. It also has the least amount of false positives IMO.

13. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Well true, better to say "you can't rely on cracked security software".

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Avira claims it's #2 worldwide. About Avira

Avira wants its customers to ‘live free’ from spyware, phishing, viruses and other internet-based threats.
    The company was founded 25 years ago on Tjark Auerbach's promise to "make software that does good things for my friends and family." More than 100 million consumers and small businesses now depend upon Avira’s security expertise and award-winning antivirus software, making the company the number-two market share leader globally. Avira provides IT-security protection to computers, smartphones, servers and networks, delivered as both software and cloud-based services.

15. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

There may be sample bias in the way that OPSWAT collects the data for its report, see above.

Avira would presumably have more accurate figures on its own uptake.

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I'm curious to know whether the figures for Symantec include the market share gained from PC Tools.

17. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

avast indeed the great product it worth even buying with sandbox feature :)

pity kaspersky drop that feature :rolleyes:

for those who dont want multiple software avast alone is enough with sandbox for average user ;)

18. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

it's not suprising that avast got the first place

i looked at all of the Free AV and the best protection + user-friendly is avast

Good job Avast Team

19. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Same here.

20. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I've met a grand total of 3 people who are not on this or any other security forum..

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

congrats to Avast. MSE and ESET also.

22. m0unds

m0unds Guest

yeah, only place i've seen eset other than on software pirates' computers is at my dentist's office.

23. SLE

SLE Registered Member

Of course - and that are the most important points to understand this funny statistic. Overall I would say - nothing representative at all.

@2: Which AV is hardest to remove :D :D

24. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

You might be wrong. I have installed TrendMirco, Bitdefender, norton, AVG, ESET, Kaspersky, MSE on my clients' Pcs. So far best working AVs are ESET, Kaspersky, AVG!!!

Norton and BD were pain in the Butt!!!:ouch: :ouch:

25. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

To make the OPSWAT list, doesn't an av need to have an affiliation with OPSWAT (such as their app remover, or whatever it is?)? Do these numbers account for all antivirus programs or only those with an affiliation with OPSWAT? If some are left out, which ones are they? Also, do they get their numbers primarily from their app remover creating an inventory of all installed programs on a person's computer? or just av's removed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.