ZAP problems: sharing folder/lan

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Gin, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gin

Gin Registered Member

hi there

sorry for a -maybe- stupid question but could you help please (yes i've read the ZAP manual but wasnt' able to find solution)?

here is the situation:
    - I have (office , large lan ) a box (win 98 SE),
    - my ip is: 192.168.34.38 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

I want to share a folder with only 1 another computer (called B) of the lan (and stay if possible) invisible to others over the lan

- its is: 172.16.18.34 subnet mask 255.255.0.0 (no firewall on it)

- last: on my computer ZAP pro settings are

local network (192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0) :trusted zone
    firewall tab: internet zone security High; trusted zone security Medium;
    ip address 172.16.18.34 : trusted

problems:
    1/ I don't "see" B when I browse the network
    2/ B doesn't see me on the network too
    3/ I can access (using explorer and the ip) to a shared folder on B, but B can't access to my computer

so : is there any misconfiguration or is it something else? I'm wondering if the fact that the computers have different subnet mask (and gateway) has something to do with it o_O

if you have ideas or urls for ZAP network settings for dummies, please let me know

thank you!

2. gkweb

gkweb Guest

your pb isn't a firewall pb, but a network pb ;)

Indeed, you said :

comp A :
    = network 192.168.34.0

comp B :
    = network 172.16.0.0

so computer A and B are not on the same network, are not on the same LAN, even without firewall they wouldn't be able to see each other.

it seems that the two comp are on different LAN but with router between them.

First, put the two comp on the same network, in your case for instance :

comp A : 192.168.34.38 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    comp B : 192.168.34.39 subnet mask 255.255.255.0

If you can't, i know that NetBIOS protocol can't pass router, so you have to use NetBIOS over TCP, but i don't know if it will works. But i don't think that you can see each other, because NetBIOS broadcast (to discover comp of the same workgroup) won't pass router too... the only thing that you can do is that you already done : access to comp by his ip, you can even create a shortcut with the path "\\remotecompIP\sharefolder". If the other can't access you, it could be due to your firewall, if you disable it, is it works ?

Hope this help.

gkweb.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I agree that there are network issues side by side with firewall issues here. If you fully shutdown ZAP, what can you access better versus having ZAP running? Same thing regarding the other user - what can they access better when you have ZAP shutdown?

If direct access to your system by IP from the other system is being blocked by ZAP, then there would be blocked messages in the ZAP alert log. (While testing all of this, make sure you having all logging and alerts fully enabled so that you don't miss an important alert message that might provide the answer to the access problems.)

4. Gin

Gin Registered Member

thank you, thank you gkweb and LowWaterMark :rolleyes:

it's clearer now...

i'll try to modify or disable ZAP and will tell you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.