ZAfree 6.0.667.000 : bugs ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by nicM, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I did install the last release of ZA free one hour ago, and it's window is ...weird: it's looking as if you were in safe mode ( xp here ). Never had this issue with previous versions. There are several other small bugs, in the alert pop-ups, etc

Did anybody notice the same behaviour of the program's gui, with that fresh release, or is it just me ? o_O

2. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I had a problem with title bars not showing the default XP style but were showing the old non-skinned style.
    I don't know if it was the cause but I unchecked ZoneAlarm in CCleaner and haven't had a reapeat of the problem.

3. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Thanks Ailric :)

by
    you mean deleting temp files, cleaning the registry without checking for ZA ?

will make a cleaning anyway, and see what happens

4. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I also re-installed ZoneAlarm.

5. 456

456 Guest

I keep getting blocked from connecting after a couple of hours!

6. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Why is it that pathetic XP seems to be causing more probs than Win 2000 Pro. I've also downloaded and installed the latest version of ZA Pro 6.0.667.000 and she works like a charm, no probs what so ever and not looking like safe mode.

Oh well like it or not I'm sticking to Win 2000 Pro with SP4 :)

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I have win2000proSP4 fully patched :D (I love that expression)

1. I switched my cable modem OFF first.

2. I un-installed the previous version of ZA Free + reboot

3. I installed ZA Free v6.0.667.000

4. I switched my cable modem ON.

5. Reboot

(CCleaner runs automatically during reboot, if that is important, but I don't think so).

Well, I didn't have any problems, not even those, that were mentioned above.

8. nicM

nicM nico-nico

456, isn't that the program control feature reinitialized ? ( this update apparently needs a fresh program settings config, the "keep my config" box wasn't automatically ticked during update ).

Maybe things would go better with an uninstall/reinstall, like some of you did.

But this is the first time I see a ZA update with such problems :doubt: : even the switching from V 4 to V 5 was more clean, as far as I remember.

9. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Ok, did uninstall it, completely, reinstalled: things were going ok ...till reboot, now the same "safe mode look" problem is back :mad: . But what is wrong with that release ?!! During a moment, I was thinking maybe this bug is only related with the french release, but it doesn't seem.

I hope the core fw is STILL working better than its GUI. I did install it on this computer because I wanted something SIMPLE ( my parents are using it :) ), but I might have a look at another fw, because they appear to be updating their products too fast ( including pro version ) :blink:

10. whatev

whatev Guest

Use windowblinds and add a custom rule for zlclient.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Maybe only winXP users have this GUI problem.
    My GUI looks fine and ZA Free blocked already 121 intrusions, classified as medium. So it seems to be working.
    I guess, I'm the lucky one in this thread :)

12. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I got the "safe mode" look by using various registry cleaners like Ace Utilities.
    Nico: What registry or system cleaner do you use?

13. nicM

nicM nico-nico

heh, could work, whatev, but that looks like a poultice on a wooden leg :D

:p ;)

Huh o_O , you mean the first install was in fact working, and you got this issue later,after a clean ?

I have Ace Utilities ( best cleaner for me :cool: ), but not on the involved computer: on this one, I got the problem right at the update, did uninstall, reinstall, still problem, uninstall again, did use CCleaner ( working nice for a freebie ), installed another ZA file; this one was right ...till next reboot: so, the cleaner is not involved in the issue, looks like the last release file is corrupted :doubt: . I say that because there are other problems around: errors in the pop-ups, etc, when the previous release was OK about that.

maybe the last release was just hurried :(

14. Engine

Engine Guest

Hi folks,

I was also having the same problem on winXP pro ... but I have solved it.

I encountered the problem already in v5.5 of ZA Pro and in present v6 it persists. I discovered that also language bar was plagued and I could not get it work properly.

Therefore I played with ZA Pro settings a little and found out the clue ... in preferences uncheck "Load ZoneAlarm Pro at start up" ... that's all and now ZA works like a charm and it's skinned correctly. Also language bar now loads ordinarily.

Only hitch is that I have to load ZA manually after comp boots but that's not an issue for me.

BTW, I am using CCleaner and WinAso Registry Optimizer without any problems and they likes with ZA pro.

Hope this may help you.

Regards,
    Engine

15. chiawaikian999

chiawaikian999 Registered Member

Engine, for your language bar problem, go to Program Control > Programs and find the entry CTF Loader. Try giving it access.

16. Engine

Engine Guest

Thanks chiawaikian999, but SmartDefense Advisor has assigned "system" for the entry and what I read in help file I am not sure I should make any changes.

Help file says:
    "... policies for programs marked "System" are also determined automatically by Zone Labs. These programs are marked "System" rather than "Auto" to indicate that they are used by your computer's operating system. Manually changing the policy for System programs could interfere with the normal functions of your computer."

What do you think about?

Regards,
    Engine

17. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

You can trust Chiawaikian's answer. He's also a guru on the ZA forums.

18. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hello Unhappy Viewer. One and the same as ZA forum poster I assume.

19. whatev

whatev Guest

Cleaners have abosolutely nothing to do with the GUI!!! If you really want the window to be skinned, download windowblinds. Add a program exceptions rule to "skin window only", and za will be skinned. If you were using CCleaner and ZA at the same time b4, why do you think it's CCleaners faulto_O

20. nicM

nicM nico-nico

euh, what ?? :D lol

Thanks whatev, but there's NO WAY any temp files/reg cleaner could be involved here, since the bugs happened two or three time ( I mean two or three ZA install ) before using CCleaner; It wasn't even installed during theses ZA installs, and doesn't clean at start-up, as some people are using it.

Anyway, theses bugs must be inherent in free ZA's last release: I did check the ZA forum, there are few people experiencing more serious problems than this gui/pop-ups issue ( Vsmon stopping, etc ); so this one is not a big deal, and I guess it's gonna be fixed in the next release.

Thanks for your Windowsblinds suggestion too, but I'm not fond of this kind of stuff :)

21. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

The user-name is quite a dead giveaway, isn't it? Perhaps I hould have chosen another or continued to post here as an annonyomous user. ;)

I only get the classic Windows look in ZA when I alt-tab out of full-screen games sometimes. I would not be too worried about the skin since it does not impede the function of ZA and is certainly the least of Zone Labs' worries. I should think that they have more important issues to fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.