ZA Pro Vs Comodo

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by nixie21, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I am a skeptic but only where it concerns software firewall programs. I settled on Kerio after a year of Zone Alarm issues that never were resolved to complete satisfaction not to mention dropping my internet connection, not just occasionally but frequently, that i paid every month to be online anytime i chose to do so. Kerio in over 3 years is more than made up for the terrible service experienced with ZA before.

I been reading all the hype over Comodo recently and remained cautiously optimistic that replacing Kerio for it would pan out as one might expect from a good soild firewall.

Well now; I finally got my Install completed after the long wait for the d/l yesterday and i must admit that what i see in it lines up exactly like everyone is been proclaiming about it.

If no issues develop, and so far i only experienced a minor one, because a box popped up saying something about having to close :blink:

No matter. Everything proceeded as normal in spite of whatever that was about and the monitoring is now in full swing and working enormously above and beyond my wildest expectations so far.

I think i'm sold on it, just need some days & weeks to follow for it to settle in my conscience. One thing is for certain, this is an excellent piece of work by any stretch.

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Easter: it would be great if you could share what Comodo lacks in comparison to Kerio.
    I too read what some of you write about Kerio. Kerio 2.15 is it? (I even downloaded it to check it out some time in the future)
    If you really like it, join the forum and share:D

3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

It would be great if there was something like that to pass along to you.

AFAIK this COMODO lacks nothing in comparison to K 2.15 if that's what you're getting at, but on the contrary excells with many more advancements certainly not found on Kerio 2.15 which by the way is the older unsupported version.

The HIPS for apps included is a major bonus IMO as well as the information of the data it reviews.

Simply amazing effort. I do applaude them for this latest release.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

a few off topic personal swipe posts removed and a reminder to simply discuss the thread topic not individuals.

Bubba

5. john smith

john smith Registered Member

I'm afraid I've dropped out of the Comodo "trial" group after a couple of days; the chief problem being random Comodo "initializing" stalls which required a reboot. This problem is addressed, but not answered in the Comodo forum.

I was also put off a bit by many programs requesting not only access to the internet, but "server" status. I'm fuzzy on what this entails, but the programs
    worked just fine without "server" status in ZA. Someone once told me that giving a lot of programs server status was a bad idea.

I may take a look at Look'n Stop next, to see if it's really worth the 39 bucks,
    but in the meantime it's back to ZA for now.

John Smith

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

John, I'm not familiar with what "trial group" is. If you mean that you installed their beta for the upcoming version 3, I don't know why you would have done that. You should have installed ver.2.3 which upgraded the other day to ver.2.4, which has no trial being it's free.
    I also don't know what initializing stalls is. I have been using CPF for quite a few months and never encountered any problems.
    As for programs requesting server status, the only one I remember doing that is Firefox because it requires a loop back. I just clicked remember, and no body else that I'm aware of asks me for server status. I think that if a program asks you for server status, it doesn't matter which ff you are using, they'll still ask.
    However, I'm sure you have your mind made up and will find something you like. Please keep us informed on statistics. :)

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

There are quite a few programs that request "server" status or privileges such as Instant messaging programs like ICQ, AOL IM, Yahoo Chat. Many of the IM programs keep a continuous connection to the IM server in order for a user to send IM to other users. There has been a security concern regarding this for IM programs. But if you are going to use IM programs to talk to others, I don't think you have a choice but to allow it when the firewall program prompts you about this access because there is a server link between the two chatters. A lot of programs might work even without allowing server privileges and I am not sure if IM will work if you deny the server access.

8. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Here is a response I got from an independant reviewer:

~Private correspondence removed....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

edit - deleted due to respect to fellow member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  10. john smith

john smith Registered Member

Sorry... I said "trial" in the sense that all new software is being "trialed" by its users; that's just a fact of life. There have been others, here and on the Comodo forum who have mentioned the "Comodo is initializing" hang, which
    in my case froze my system twice.

My mind is not rigid on firewalls, but I'm afraid my philosophy of software is dictated by the time I have available: if it works smoothly, I use it. If it creates problems I didn't have before, I put it aside; I'll keep an eye on Comodo in the forums.

Regards,

John

11. the insider

the insider Registered Member

May I urge you to stay away from their Beta AV ? I installed it and .... goodbye Windows ! It erased my system32 folder (HAL.dll issue). Comodo knows this but can't find a cure for now..... just to let you know :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2007
  12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

John Smith - Ah, I see what you meant now. I'm a little dense sometimes. :D
    I agree with your philosophy toward software too. If it works great. If it doesn't work right its in the can. I wish I had the money on software I dumped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.