ZA Pro Vs Comodo

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by nixie21, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

I am using Comodo right now.. Besides the $$$, can you compare the 2 for me? I would use ZA pro for firewall only (i believe it has AS?)

From what I remember, ZA has less pop ups and was eaiser to use for a FW novice.

THanks for in input!

I use nod32, does it have problems with ZA?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Yeah, with comodo it has alot of pop-ups for everthing it seems like. Try it out yourself to see if it happens to you or not though.

3. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Have Comodo's Alert Frequencey set to Low you can do that by going to Security, advanced, miscellaneous and set th alert to Low.

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

by default its already set to Low. for teh pop-ups amount change it to Very Low.

as for Comodo, its a very powerful firewall and it performs well against leaktests and termination attempts. its also good with games and p2p, though u need to make (network) rules.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I have used nod + za in the past with no problems. I prefer za over comodo mainly due to that fact that i have used za for years, i trust it more and feel more comfortable using it.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I used ZASS and before that ZA free for a number of years. Although it is basically a novice friendly firewall, the ever present bugs are unacceptable. I bought ZASS version 5.5 and had no problem upgrading for quite a few versions, while I saw countless people having horrific problems while I checked out their forum. If you're lucky enough to uninstall, should you upgrade to a version with problems, you have to be computer savvy to do it. Finally with version 6.5 if my memory is correct, my luck ran out. problems with updating the AS and AV prompted me to disable them both and install NOD32 (best move I ever made). I already had the instant messenger mode disabled because I don't do IM, and I disabled the anti spam too, because I have Mailwasher. That didn't leave too much to be worth re-upping for another year. I don't see why the customer should have to go through hoops to make his firewall work properly either. After much reading and investigating, I took a chance and laboriously uninstalled ZASS and installed Comodo. My pc immediately got more responsive and faster. After 2 option clicks Comodo was up and running. It recognized my already installed stuff, and is automatically in the learning mode. I don't get that many pop ups at all. If you take it out of the learning mode you will see a few more pop ups. There's nothing wrong with leaving it in the learning mode. I think it's as easy as ZA in the auto mode. As for performance, there's no bugs. Just set it and forget it. :cool:

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

For a software firewall that is built for todays machine and if you want a FW that is kept current I would go with Comodo.

ZA to me was fine until version 5. Then it died a slow death. I won't go into the same stuff that has been said many times, the prior post by twl845 covers some of it. I have used Comodo and it worked just fine. No question in my mind head to head, ZA Pro vs Comodo FREE. Go Comodo.

I will keep my old copy of ZA Pro 4.5.594, but will never pay money for ZA again. NEVER. ;)

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

When I used ZAP v6.1xx (together with NOD32 v2.5xx) the firewall performed flawlessly insofar as its primary functions , but there were other problems.

My system loaded slowly when I had ZAP installed and I wondered why, that is until I replaced ZAP with Comodo ...voila, faster startups! Another annoyance, ZAP would not recognize that I had an AV (NOD32) installed, so I had to turn off ZAP's monitoring of my AV in order to avoid false alerts.

No such problems using Comodo with NOD32. Although Comodo is missing some of ZAP's features (like email-spyware protection), operation of the firewall seems to perform as well as ZAP in every respect. I don't know if the abve mentioned problems were the result of a ZAP - NOD32 conflict or what, but based on my experience I would recommend Comodo over ZAP even if Comodo wasn't free (which it is)!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Same over here, plus I like ZA´s GUI better, plus Comodo does not seem to be compatible with SSM and/or Neoava Guard, I have noticed that it uses quite a lot of CPU time, must be some conflict. Also, the startup time of ZA Pro v6.1 is quite acceptable, I think that ZA can take a while to load when the HIPS and other stuff are turned on. So it´s best to disable it, there are other better HIPS available anyways. ;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  11. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies, think I will stick with comodo!

12. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Imho, you can't go wrong with Comodo. It may not be a better FW than ZAP, but it doesn't demand as much resources as ZAP does!

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

and minus the bugs.

14. cheater87

The new version of Comodo will have HIPS

15. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Yep!

Comodo and ZoneAlarm are very similar in leaktest results.

ZoneAlarm once had a leak, bu in general they are equal, I also guess that Comodo eats a bit less ressources then ZA. I like the network stats of comodo. ZoneAlarm is cool too but it hooks the whole ZwTerminateProcess. This is annoying.

16. john smith

john smith Registered Member

Has anyone noted how quickly Comodo loads? My biggest beef with ZA is that it seems to be the last startup app to load... I even get the WinXP warning: ("Zone Alarm is turned off, your computer may be at risk") before ZA finally shows up.

I think Blackspear once commented that Keiro (sp?) loaded fast and first.

John

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As an ex ZASS user, yes I notice and am thankful for my Comodo. :D

18. john smith

john smith Registered Member

In reference to my question about how early Comodo loaded on startup:

Thanks... installed Comodo today, and it loads fast and it loads early. Kind of miss the dl/upload activity monitor of ZA, but I like Comodo very much.

John

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

John Smith - Congratulations and welcome. Check out the forum for tips. :D

20. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

When the Comodo newer version comes out, with it's HIPS, is it going to become bloat or have issues? I just uninstalled the Comodo for the ZAAV. The ZA seems okay and no bugs. maybe I will keep it instead of the Comodo.

21. RAV

RAV Registered Member

Version 2.4 of Comodo now has the animated icon similar to Zone Alarms. I don't miss ZA at all and considering Comodo is free and rivals ZA Pro, I know which one I'm keeping.

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As a Comodo Firewall user, I'm not familiar with their AV. However I am familiar with ZAs AV, and it's about a 6 out of a possible 10. Certainly not a NOD32 comparison. :p

23. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I just installed ZA 7---It works flawlessly with Nod32. I am glad I did not start the endless prcess of installing firewalls & uninstalling them when I do not like them.

24. cheater87

The new Comodo firewall pro is out and its great. I'm waiting for the Comodo Virus scanner so I can have all free security programs.

25. RAV

RAV Registered Member

I'm interested in their AV as well but in meantime Avast is working great with Comodo so no real reason to switch at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.