ZA Pro still fail PCFlank's leak test?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rOadToIS, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

I tested ZA Pro firewall with PC flank's leak tester, and it failed.
    How about you guys?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. fax

fax Registered Member

Re: ZA Pro still fail PCFlnak's leak test?

Hi!
    yes, its known and as far as I can see they will not fix it.
    I think they just don't care about it. Once upon a time they black listed the website directly. :D

For the rest, the latest version have been improved against test leaks.
    See here: http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php

If you are a fan of leak tests firewalls than go with OA or COMODO. They usually very much focused on leaks. ZA is not paranoid in fixing the firewall as soon as a new leak is released. They do fix leaks if they think are important to fix.

Why they never fixed PC flank? You should ask them... ;)

Cheers,
    Fax

3. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Most internet users probably don't care or don't know what a leak test is. ZA is going after the majority of users who know little or nothing about computer security.

4. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

As do most security products. I do take your point that checkpoint has changed the ZA focus from being a non-leaky firewall to a mainstream solution.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

If i remember correctly, try the same test, but this time unplug the ethernet cable.

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Re: ZA Pro still fails PCFlnak's leak test?

My view of leak tests is that they have no relevence in the real world.

7. fax

fax Registered Member

+1 too much hype and marketing + firewalls with crazy pop-up disease.

Fax

8. 3xist

3xist Guest

Comodo aren't crazy for leak tests either, And no Comodo aren't very much focused on leak tests at all. Believe me Comodo strongly believes in keeping end users computers protected with REAL threats rather than "leak tests" and improve usability, performance and security with each release (I.E, Next Comodo Internet Security version) while listening to users and supporting their views.

Cheers,
    Josh

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2009
  9. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

But ZA were the people who started detecting outward leaks in the first place. Kinda ironic.

10. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have not played with any leak tests in quit some time so may be way off base here. The last time I did try any they all exploited IE. If IE is set to ask then the exploit fails.

DISCLAIMER: As stated, has been a while so may be totally incorrect. :doubt:

11. fax

fax Registered Member

Of course, as most of the many respectable companies in this sector. :thumb:

Cheers,
    Fax

12. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

There is great value in having the ability to detect, and choose whether to block or allow, outgoing connections in realtime. It is in fact one of the reasons I do run the software that I run.

And it has been awhile since I ran any of the specifically-designed leak tests. I know that I fare well under the Shields-Up and similar tests. Still, some of the tests did seem a bit contrived and unrealistic.

Information is neither good nor bad. It is how that information is used and interpreted that determines its value.

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Same here... ZAP let's it connect to the internet. But GeSWall Pro does not. The executable, upon download, is isolated by GW on my desktop. Then I am asked upon running the executable if I want to keep the program isolated? By saying yes (the recommended choice), the leak test is not successful. GeSWall Pro serves as a viable protection layer, helping my firewall. Worth noting, this GW isolation protection only works if I choose to download the executable and run it from my computer. If I run it without downloading it, GW doesn't help and the firewall fails the test.

Attached Files:

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I agree, and here's why... in order to run the test, the user has to first deal with a File Download-Security Warning that asks, Do you want to run or save this file? The user is given three choices... Run-Save-Cancel. If user declines, then PCFlankLeaktest.exe never gets to do its thing! Isn't this a bit like a bank robber asking a teller for a gun so that he can rob the place? It's always prudent to refuse the bank robber's request. :eek:

15. hawki

hawki Registered Member

FYI:

There are several excellent firewalls that do not pass some of the well known leak tests. The reason for this is that those firewalls, while they recognize an outward bound connection attempt, are also intelligent enough to see that the attempt and/or the source is not malicious.

16. hawki

hawki Registered Member

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I think that the key is to make sure that the test program is actually testing your firewall, and not your router or your ISP's firewall.

Run the PCFlank Quick Test and view the results.

"IP Address test

The test has determined your IP address to be:

Please verify that this is your true IP address.

If the IP address determined by the test is not your true IP address please cancel the test as further results of the test would be incorrect. Commonly the test fails to determine your true IP address because of you are connected to the Internet through a proxy-server or your ISP uses Network Address Translation (NAT) to share IP addresses."

18. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

There are some very essential "leaktests". Actually they are not "leaktests", but stability tests. For example level9 and level10 verify kernel stuff for a correct imiplementation. I can live with some tests failed, but level 9 reached does mean that the kernelmode drivers are implemented incorrectly which results in intermittent BSODs from time to time.

19. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    the original post relates to PCFlank leaktests and the comments too
    Its not a stability test but a leak test. Or not?

...and btw Level 10 is not checked if previous test is failed
    May be you can open a new thread with this breaking news? ;)

Cheers,
    Fax

20. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

level 10 is shadowhook - matousec selfmade tool, level 9 is MS driver verifier - standard MS tool to find the faulty drivers.

21. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, indeed and how does this relates to PCflank leaktest?
    I am lost o_O

Fax

22. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

PCflank is a child toy if to compare with driver verifier and shadowhook. Until those two are failed you need not to care about PCFlank. This is relation as I see it.

23. fax

fax Registered Member

uuuh, drive verifier is more about checking correct design and not much about security.... shadowhook has not been tested (test on each level are only performed if the previous has passed). In other words... you can get a crash of the system or a BSOD but this is not a way in for malware.

Fax

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  24. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I disagree. Theoretically any flaw in design can be exploited to compromise security.
    This is questionable. Intentional BSOD is nothing but DOS attack, and if it can be invoked from a usermode due to faulty driver this is inacceptable. To say nothing that "not lucky" BSOD can kill you system and your valuable data.

25. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

Are these flaws in the firewalls we are talking about or flaws in the design of the windows operating system?
    Kind of wondering why use windows in the default administrative account if there are design flaws?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.