ZA doesn't detect Avast!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ~*Nat*~, Dec 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Hi all,

Yesterday, after uninstalling Norton I downloaded Avast! - Anti-Virus.
    And even after several reboots and dling the new update for Zone Alarm (free),
    it still says
    " There is no antivirus running on your computer that Zone Labs
    can detect. Make sure you are running antivirus software. "
    ________

Well, my new Avast! is running. ( On-Access Scanner: 6 provider(s) total,
    5 running )

Can someone help me please ? Why would ZoneAlarm keep saying I have no antivirus on my pc ? o_O OH, and I also dl'd ewido !

Thank You very much in advance !

2. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I don't use ZA but it's my understanding that it only detects the big names so far (Symantec, Trend, Mcafee...). I have no idea if this will change or not.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I use that latest FREE ZoneAlarm with Nod32, and it too does not detect Nod32 as a running Anti-virus, I think with enough complaints out there ZA will eventually have to add each major Anti-virus (Paid and Free) into its program...

On another point as you appear to be adding security to your computer, you may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

ZA and other FW vendors are adding a bunch of worthless gimmicks to the FW. If you are getting regular virus signature update from Avast, then the program is okay.

FYI, I'm still using the old ZA Pro 4.5.594.000. The current 5.5 engine isn't very good.

5. Galcoolest

Galcoolest Registered Member

Just installed the 5.5 update and ZA doesn't see AVG-7 either- last newest edition did, no prob. Go figure- I know it's working.

6. ~*Nat*~

Thank's so much to you ALL who responded ! :)
    You gave me good peace of mind, knowing that some of you that don't use
    "major" Anti-Virus Software have the same issues. I guess it's not a big deal then...as you say..as long as you have all current updates, all should be fine, right?

@Blackspear - Thank's to you for the links. I surely will read them. I am always willing to learn more...:)

Alright, now I know it isn't just me.....

Have a happy Weekend everyone !

7. Blackspear

My pleasure, and if you are not sure about anything, ask away, until you are sure. Those links provide very good FREE and paid software that will secure your computer exceptionally well.

All the best...

Cheers :D

8. ~*Nat*~

9. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

everyone here uses a cocktail of layers (multiple antiviruses, multiple firewalls, multiple antispyware, even multiple anti-trojan and also alternate browsers to stop IE related abuse)
    Everyone has a different mix, depeding on what runs fast on their PC, what programs like to coexist, how good they look (~pretty~ important ;) ) and how much did they cost.
    look around for the threads on Favorite FWs/AVs and Free FWs/AVs... they're really nice discussions

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

ZoneLabs just is not what it use to be :'( . They have had plenty of time to bring on more AV program recognition detections, and yes these types of add ons are just pain in the butt gimmicks :(

I am a ZoneAlarm Pro 5.1 user...with expired key. :p

11. ~*Nat*~

Hi no13 & mercurie, :)

I can understand using multiple security apps....but more than one firewall :eek: Wow. Isn't that a bit extrem..not to mention that it can cause problems on the system ? But if it works for some, so be it. :D
    _________

You know mercurie, I have to agree. I have loved my ZoneAlarm for about 4 yrs. now. But in all this time hardly anything has changed. Maybe a loong time ago. I even owned the PRO Version once, which was pretty good with some of the Extras. Now I won't pay for security, if I can help it.
    Why must I pay for other people's crimes ? Computer-Security in my opinion should be provided for free. Plain and simple. But then again, I'm not greedy
    and happily donate for hardworking people that create such security apps & occasionally buy too...if they derserve it. :)

About the add-ons being a pain in the rear gimmick...I truly used to believe they were useful. :(

12. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Nat68
    I run 3 firewalls and have a router... :p
    LOL. no problems in co-existence, but I need another layer of security, so I was about to dump all 3 for Tiny Personal Firewall... but it won't friggin' install!! So I'm stuck till the next build or next reinstall ;)

13. ~*Nat*~

*lol* You're kidding right ? :D 3 (THREE) firewalls ?!
    You aren't just the least paranoid...just slightly...hmmm ?
    And I thought I was ! Hehe, just teasing. ;)

But hey, if it works it works. And the more the merrier, true ? :p
    Make your pc just like Fort Knox and all will be well.
    I'm planning on.
    Well..you will have to wean it off, slowly but surely...one by one. Hm ? :)
    _________
    Joking beside,...I too am looking for another firewall. A free one if possible.
    I like ZoneAlarm, but maybe there is a better one out.
    It cannot be too complicated though. That's what I like about ZA...nice and easy. Very simple to handle.
    Is there such a firewall...an easy one for people that don't know how to fiddle
    with programs much ?

14. mercurie

I have never used or had even loaded more then firewall at a time, just me I guess, to much risk of conflict. Most of my ZAP extras are turned off. I am still looking at other potential replacements for ZAP. Yes simple would be good. I read No13 posts when he speaks about firewalls cause I know he is always looking fiddling and testing firewalls.

Good speaking with you both. Take care. ;) :)

15. muf

muf Registered Member

ZAP only detects the AV's that have paid them money to do so. It doesn't detect the others because Zone Labs have no financial agreement with the other AV vendors. Very sad and petty in my opinion.

muf

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That AV detection they added to 5.x seems to be the most useless bunch of crap they could possibly add to the firewall. I don't know where they get their ideas from.

17. mercurie

I totally AGREE!

18. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Microsofts WXP SP2?

19. mercurie

To me same thing Windows Security Center :p . I understand why? Better then nothing for those who just do not keep up on that stuff. Let me give you a perfect example-my wife-

Honey let me show you what you need to watch for on the family PC...use your lock on ZAP...see some programs have keys that allow them to pass others need to ask....(so on). Now just make sure the EZ AV Virus Protection is getting it's updates it is automatic. It should but you want to make sure sometimes a program changes you need to just watch for things. Now on BoClean I get those manually I get emails (just my preference I know you can silently update). Showed her how easy that was. After I told her this she put her hand to her mouth as if to yawn. "To much...over my head." "What if I go the hospital you need to watch these things", I told her. All I got was o_O and :doubt: .

20. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

That's why you need to install two copies of windows on the same HD. One for you, and the other for her. If she doesn't learn how to take care of HER OS, then she could always reload the good image file to restore the functionality of her primary C partition.

You cannot rely on other people to keep your computer clean!

21. Blackspear

22. ~*Nat*~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.