ZA blocks PE xfer rate viewing

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by deadheadrjp, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadheadrjp

deadheadrjp Registered Member

Hello-

I just re-installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite (purchased) after switching to SBC Yahoo! DSL and dumping Direcway (goodbye horrible FAP!!) now that DSL is available in my neighborhood. The setup went well & everything seems to be working.

Except for one thing: I also use Port Explorer from DiamondCS (purchased), and ever since ZA was just installed, PE cannot allow viewing of transfer rates and bytes sent & received. There's just --'s instead.

With XPPRO SP2 firewall prior to ZA installed, I was allowed to view that info in PE as normal. I turned the xppro firewall off as soon as ZA was installed this evening.

Any ideas, so that I can continue to monitor my brand new DSL line's quality with PE?? Everything else seems to be working in PE; everything except bytes sent\received & xfer rate.

--
    Thanks,
    RJP

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi deadheadrjp, My guess is that ZA is blocking Port Explorer and that you will have to give it "Trusted" status in ZA.
    I am not a ZA user but hopefully a ZA - PE user will advise what rules etc. need to be applied.

HTH Pilli

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Are these ----- on all sockets and processes or only the netstat sockets?
    I suppose you see a difference with the former situation from own experience though.
    You did uninstall ZA when installing the DSL part, maybe Port Exoplorer would have liked to be installed before the ZA, although i never heard that to be a problem at all.

4. dallen

dallen Registered Member

To answer your question Jooske, it occurs on all processes and sockets. I experience the same thing and always have. Even if I give PE full access, even server rights it still occurs.

5. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I am an owner of PE 2.0 and I use Zone Alarm. I finally took the time to read the help file because I want to begin to get full utilization out of my Port Explorer product. However, I am still having this problem. I would be happy to send a screenshot, but I would like help resolving this issue. Please don't just let it die and hope it will go away. Just a side note, the problem persists even when I shut down Zone Alarm and the problem is that the "sent," "received," and "creation" columns are all "---"

6. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I understand that PE is not a very popular program (judging by the activity in the forums in comparison to TDS and PG), but nevertheless, I really would like to uncover the cause of my problem. If anyone knows anything on this, please reply.

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I have ZAPro and Port Explorer on both win98se and a XP home sp2 systems, and i don't experience this, even not with the router between all of it.
    I do have this however in the netstat sockets and dropped processes/sockets, which show up with a * in front of their names. I think this is normal.
    But the active processes and sockets all show values in the several columns.
    I did install Port Explorer before ZAPro, and rebooted in between the installs. And of course like always all other protection and scanners down. Maybe this could make a difference?
    Was this before you installed other programs too?
    Did you grant Port Explorer full access in ZAPro, are there any settings you could set more precise in ZAPro for Port Explorer and possible connection programs (IE, email, etc.)?
    Think you best post a screenshot from your situation, might be helpful. Thanks in advance!

8. dallen

dallen Registered Member

OK...I fixed the problem. This may, or may not help the thread starter, but I simply uninstalled and reinstalled Port Explorer (with a restart in between). I can now use Port Explorer for the first time since I bought it. It's almost like getting a new program. This will buy those at DCS a little more time with me before I start nagging them again about TDS-4. I'll be busy playing with my new Port Explorer.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Dallen

Glad you got PE working. Amazing what sometimes just uninstalling and reinstalling can do. There is a DLL that PE uses and I bet it just didn't install properly. Re TDS-4, there was a line in the movie Masters and Commanders, where the Captain would always ask the cook if stuff was done, and his reply was always "It will be done when it is done" :D

Pete

10. dallen

dallen Registered Member

One thing I forgot to mention, Peter2150 deserves the credit for suggesting that I uninstall and reinstall PE. Thanks Pete!!! :) By the way, Port Explorer was cool before. However, now that it is actually working, it is even better. ;)

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thanks Dallen. Glad to have been able to help.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.