ZA and BOClean (and other questions)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by J at A, Jul 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J at A

J at A Guest

Hi,

This is not my PC.
    It is a XP Home machine with ZA Free 5.0.590.043
    Could someone please help me with the right settings in ZA for BOClean?
    I cannot update it here.
    I have put ftp.nsclean.com in the trusted zone of ZA, but that doesn't seem to be enough.

Another question:
    Do I need to put the two DNS servers of this provider in the trusted zone of ZA?
    It is a dial-up connection.
    I seem to have problems sometimes to get a site; maybe I have somwhere to make a change, but I don't know which one......

Thanks !!!

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Do you know if the update is using active ftp? If so, you would likely see blocked inbound connections in your logs to local port 20. In this case you could allow the update program to act as a server and see if that helps. The alternative is using passive ftp which only involves outbound connections.

ISP DNS servers are safe to add to the trusted list and may help with the issue you are experiencing.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. J at A

J at A Guest

Thanks CrazyM !

BOClean uses passive ftp as far as I know.
    I have already given it all access rights; alas it doesn't help...

Thanks,
    Cheers, Jan.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Did you try lowering the ZA Firewall panel's Internet Zone security setting to "Medium" (just temporarily) to see if it helps when you run the BOClean update?

5. J at A

J at A Guest

Hi LWM :)

Just tried that: it doesn't help either....

BTW: here is the BOClean site with some info:
    http://www.nsclean.com/update.html

I have updated now manually by using the HTTP-download option from that site.
    But somehow there must be a way to do it normally...
    Is there a way to "give the BOClean Updater access right to the Trusted Zone"? I saw that mentioned by someone at the ZA-forum.

Cheers, Jan.

6. marti

marti Registered Member

Jan,

Remove all references to BOClean in the programs area. (Program Control, Programs tab). Then manually request an update. ZA will display a popup that asks you if you want the program to access the local network: select yes, and check the box to set permanent access. Then ZA will display a popup asking about internet access: select yes, and check the box.

Go into the programs tab and verify that BOClean has trusted and internet access checked. Set server and email access to "block."

7. J at A

J at A Guest

Oops, I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong.....
    I don't even get a popup from ZA asking about that access to local network....
    Maybe I need ZAPro on her machine?

8. marti

marti Registered Member

You should see the popups in ZAFree.

9. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

What version of BOClean is on that PC ?

And are you sure you have read this entire page ?

http://www.nsclean.com/update.html

Starting at this point...

Having problems downloading?

10. J at A

J at A Guest

Hi John,

Version 4.11.001 (I took it with me when I came here to be sure it is the latest version).
    She definitely has a licence for it !

Yep, I have read that page (but maybe I should read it again and again....).
    I know how to set up AtGuard, but somehow I seem to have problems to fully understand ZA. I am NOT blaming ZA for that but my own lack of knowledge of ZA and XP...

At the moment I have not yet installed the latest version of ZA, I've just downloaded it (this IS a very slow connection...).
    Maybe that newer one will change things....
    Maybe I need nevertheless ZAPro....

I can teach her how to update BOClean manually by going to that site, doing the HTTP-download and go into the BOClean-menu and hit "reload".
    But I wished I knew how to solve this so she doesn't have to do it that way.

PS:
    A question for Marti:
    Can you buy ZAPro (if I really need it here) for someone else?
    (Maybe I should talk to Corey, when I'm back home, about that).
    I am NOT going to use my CreditCard on this machine.....

Cheers, Jan.

11. J at A

J at A Guest

To make the situation once and for all clear:

I am FanJ !

I garantee that the lady, who owns this machine, has a licence for BOClean !!!

I know nothing about XP !
    I know almost nothing about ZA (I had it years ago, but that's it although I myself do have a licence bought for ZAPro).

I am here at her new XP machine.
    She is almost 65 and retired.
    Her partner, one of my GREATEST friends EVER, died so sadly some years ago.
    She did always the maintenance of this machine, and I learned a lot from her!!!
    But she isn't here anymore (Jan almost crying, hardly being able to see through his tears).
    So now I want to help here !
    That's all !
    But what the h..k do I know about XP and ZA.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated by me !!!!!

Thanks, Jan.

12. marti

marti Registered Member

Sure Jan, you can purchase it for someone else. When they install the program, they will fill in their name and email address. However, you need an email address for you to use at the location you are at now, so you can get the confirmations and password. However, I don't see that ZAPro is going to solve this problem.

I would remove ZAFree and start over!

13. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, I'm wondering if BOClean is even trying to get access to the Internet. Marti's suggestion about removing all BOClean references from the ZA Programs list and then trying to run the BOClean updater again is a good one. When you do this, if you do not get a ZA alert asking for the BOClean updater program to access the Internet, then it may not even be trying for some reason or ZA is damaged some how.

Perhaps it's worth trying again. Go into ZA user interface > Program Control > Programs list and remove any/all BOClean references (I don't know if the BOClean update program is separate from the main BOClean program, if so, remove all BOClean related programs from ZA's list.).

Once you've done that, you could reboot the PC, then reconnect to the Internet and run the BOClean updater. You really should get an alert from ZA. If not, then there are a few possibilities. ZA is corrupted or BOClean's updater is damaged some how...

As Marti just replied you could also try a full removal of ZA and reinstall. When you uninstall it, make sure it is shutdown first. After the uninstall and first reboot after, make sure to delete any files in the c:\windows\internet logs\ folder. Those are all ZA related...

Do a fresh install of ZA, rebooting as needed and then try to see if it will discover BOClean's update program the next time you run it.

14. marti

marti Registered Member

Thanks for the detailed instuctions, Mike. I'm running around trying to help many ZA users today (on many forums) with some minor issues. Therefore, I'm not able to give my full attention to just one user.

15. Primrose

Hi jan,
    I thought it was you :) Good Luck..i just never heard of anyone running ZA having that much problem to get BOClean updates...strange stuff.

Regards,
    John

16. marti

marti Registered Member

John,

When someone is using a different computer system, with an OS that that are not used to, and then trying to set up software that they are not used to, havoc can result. I'm sure Jan will figure this out, with enough encouragement.

17. Primrose

I am sure jan will..but since it is not even asking to get out via ZA..I think maybe Jan should send off a quick email to Kevin. Unless you really think ZA is stopping BOClean ?

CONSUMER/RETAIL LICENSE: You are granted the right to install the BOClean files on any and all personal machines within the purchaser's household. This applies to any children attending an undergraduate college or university as well, but not any graduates or other adults living in your home. In addition, individuals may also install BOClean on ONE SINGLE MACHINE at their place of work under the terms of this license if permitted to do so by licensee's employer.

Just to add to the thought:

BOClean was designed for use primarily by government, corporate and institutional administrators as an "install and forget" solution, with specific requirements to eliminate "help desk" calls. That's why that was part of the design.

Now for the GOOD news - we DO have a replacement for the BOC4UPD.EXE "updater" module that I can send which WILL honor your relocation - simple matter of emailing it to anyone who really wants it and then overwriting the existing BOC4UPD.EXE file with it. This design of the "C:\" location though dates back to the "2" version of BOClean and is more "limited thinking" than an actual insect.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,10880846~mode=flat~start=20#10896261

18. marti

marti Registered Member

John,

I don't think BOClean is the problem. I'm guessing that ZA was not set up properly during the installation. However, an email to Kevin wouldn't hurt, in case it is a BOClean setting that is misconfigured.

19. Primrose

Well did not want to get too far off the mark..but seems today even other porducts have a hard time updating today... :mad:

http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php?showtopic=17119&st=0&#entry58075

And did not want jan to be fighting a server no show problem too boot.

20. marti

marti Registered Member

I have not seen any BOClean update problems reported, but anything is possible.

21. nick s

nick s Registered Member

My son is running BOClean and ZA Free on XP Pro and has no problems updating. I set ZA up for him and just gave the default permissions when ZA alerted that BOClean was connecting. I'll double-check his settings tomorrow.

Nick

22. J at A

J at A Guest

Lots of thanks to Marti, John, Jim, Mike !!! :)

I needed your encouragements my dear friends !!! ;)

I had to take a time-out ;)
    At the moment not so much changed here.
    I fully admit, not any doubt about that !!!, that I am not familiar with XP and the newer versions of ZA.
    Any problem occuring here, could simply well be caused by me ...

Thanks for now !!! :)
    Warm regards, Jan.

23. marti

marti Registered Member

Put on your "logical thinking hat" my dear Jan. It's an easy problem to solve, if we can work through the steps, one step at a time. Don't let your lack of knowledge about what you are working with overtake your basic computer skills. You can solve this problem, and many of us are here to provide the support (and prayers, if necessary) to get "the job finished."

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

No question in my mind on this one. Zone Alarm 5.0 is a no go! I am using Pro 4.5 and it automatically recognized BoClean and I gave it the green check mark in the Program control (told BoClean to update silently) on Zone Alarm 4.5 and I was good to go. No problems at all ever!

Ditch Zone Alarm 5.0 if you want to risk 5.1 you may at your own risk :doubt: revert to 4.5 before something gets so hosed you really get problems!

BoClean is a wonderful product and unlike Zone Labs has given me excellent support. Quick answers with problems solved. Only one or two I can ever recall in the years I've used Bo.

My other PC has 4.5 with BoClean I will keep BoClean, if Zone Labs does not put out a stable product within 60 to 90 days it is history on my PC. Sorry you are having so much trouble. I loved Zone Labs been using them since July of 2001 on Cable connection. Time is short for them now :'(

25. J at A

J at A Guest

Hi,

It's working now ! :)

I decided to uninstall ZA Free 5.0 (thanks Mike for that guideline ;)).
    Then I installed ZAPro 5.1
    It is a 15 day trial, so I have enough time to buy a licence.

I need more time to get familiar with it and to decide which of its options to use here.

I had already manually (via the HTTP-option at the BOClean-site) installed the latest BOClean defs, but when using the option in BOClean to check for updates I got now the usual message that I have already the latest defs.
    It's working: Hurray !! LOL

Thanks to all for the helping !
    Cheers, Jan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.