ZA 7 came out should I uninstall Antivir ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fred128, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Folks,
    I could use your advice. I just updated to ZA 7. It's working fine although there is some system slowdown but if that's the price that has to be paid for KAV, then so be it.
    I have Antivir PE and was using it until ZA 7 came out. Now that it's out, should I uninstall Antivir?

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Re: ZAP/ZASS 7.0.302.000

I don't think 2 AVs are necessary. You'd have to keep one turned off and use for on demand scans anyway. As you probably know you can't run both at the same time or there'll be conflicts. The Kaspersky in ZA is probably the better one anyway. :D

3. pemar

pemar Registered Member

Well, I have uninstalled Antivir PE in order to test new ZASS. And then I have encoutered major problem after ZASS installation. The av component wasn't present - there was only a tab stating "av monitoring" (or something like that). When I clicked on it there was an info that ZA cannot find any av program. Duh, Antivir was long gone!

Also Windows Security Center was reporting "more then two av programs". So I've done some googling and it turned out that Antivir has a bug which confuses Windows Security Center. Windows sees av even though it was removed. I have found some instructions how to solve it - it involved stopping and restarting one service and deleting folder "repository". Also I have have received from Avira a script which resets Windows Security Center.

After I have fixed the Windows Security Center I installed the ZASS and it works fine - the problem is now that I get warnings from Windows Security Center that av is not updated even just after manual update. Apparently it is a known bug.

I have been trying ZASS for one day only, but the combination of ZA Pro + NOD, which I use on my main computer, seems like a nicer combination.

I am not going back to Antivir - there is a lot of hype around it but I have found no particular advantage over NOD. ( besides price :D )

It is true that KAV engine is very tempting but ZA version looses Kaspersky's excellent interface. The price, however, is great. Might go for it myself....

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.