YouTube on iPod Touch and upgrade to iPhone OS 3

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xMarkx, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I have two questions or problems concerning my 2nd generation iPod Touch using iPhone OS 2.2.1.

1. Do you need to use a credit card to purchase the iPhone OS 3 upgrade, or can you use prepaid gift cards that you buy at electonric shops. I tried using the money from the gift card but it doesn't seem to work. After the payment options page which gives you the option of Visa, Mastercard, or American Express or None (I select None) it either just goes to the iTunes Store Homepage or returns a random error. I'd prefer not to use a credit card for privacy reasons but if I have to I will. I know store credits cannot be used towards the purchase... so does the gift card count as a store credit? Also, I'm from Canada where the gift cards have limited functionality - you can't buy apps with them.

2. Over the past few weeks, videos I like to watch on YouTube using the YouTube App no longer work! When I open the video in Bookmarks, History, or even searching it, it returns the error "This movie cannot be played". The videos work fine on the computer and have played for me before. Google has a lot of hits about this issue but no solutions that I can find.

Thanks for any help. I really want to use the YouTube App to watch videos again and try out iPhone OS 3.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your fast reply Ronjor. I looked through the Apple forums before but I didn`t use the search function :ouch: . I did this time and found the answer to the first question which is that I have to use a credit card :mad: : Gift certificates, iTunes Cards, and monthly allowances may not be used to purchase software, games, or apps.

However, before making this thread I looked on Google and just now on the Apple Forums for a solution to the `This Movie Cannot Be Played`` YouTube App issue and I can find others with the same problem, but no solution, ie:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9531035&#9531035

Regards,
    Mark.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If I find any news for that problem, I will post here.

You Tube uses Flash. Can the iPhone play Flash?

From this post in 2007.

From Apple. H.264

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  5. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and help Ronjor. All the videos were supposed to have been converted almost 2 years ago. Also, a lot of the videos that don't work for me must have already been converted because they have worked in the past. How come some of the YouTube videos worked last week and one in particular even worked fine up until yesterday but no longer work anymore? Some people on the Apple forum say that their family owns multiple iPod Touchs or iPhones and some YouTube videos work on some iPhones or iPod Touches and the same videos don't work (give the error) on another iPhone or iPod Touch.

Regards,

Mark.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not sure what the problem is Mark. If the problem is widespread with iPhone users, I'm sure Apple and you tube will have to sort out the problem.

Your phone is probably fine.

7. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

If anyone owns an iPhone or iPod Touch can they please try a video that used to play fine on my iPod Touch but doesn't anymore?

Here is the link. Since the URL is too long to touch into the small screen, you can just use the search function of the YouTube App to type "hold my hand" and the first hit should be the correct one.

I want to see if the problem is more than likely on my end or Apple or YouTube's end.

Thanks,

Mark.

8. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I tried the link on my 3rd generation Iphone and it worked fine over 3g network.

9. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your help. Why would the video work for you but suddenly stop working for me? If you can play it now then it's not the video, it must be something wrong with my iPod. What can I do to resolve the problem?

Thanks,

Mark.

10. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

Did the other iphone/ipod worked fine over your wireless network?
    Try to post the link in the email or type the link in the safari browser to see if works.

Try restoring the IPod if nothing works but make sure your data is backed up.

11. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I'm not sure if any other iPhone or iPod Touchs work over my wireless network because my iPod Touch is the only one. The YouTube videos work fine in Safari, it's just that some (not all, but a few including a few that I watch a lot such as the one I gave a link to) don't work anymore in the YouTube App, which is much more convenient than Safari for YouTube. Any idea on why this would be?

Regards,

Mark.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.