You're Losing Control Of Your Personal Data -- Get Over It

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Minimalist, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://www.forbes.com/sites/retail...ing-control-of-your-personal-data-get-over-it

2. aztony

aztony Registered Member

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's funny, for sure. I mean, users freely share all this information, and then complain about how it's used?

I do admit, however, that you need to behave like a bloody undercover agent in order to keep your privacy. And I get that most folks are just too busy with their lives to bother. So it goes.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Why the continuing lies? It's LOST not losing. Nobody who "rates" tells the truth anymore.

@mirmir you are correct. But it's lose-lose. If one's name comes across & an investigation shows that there's secret agent like attempts to maintain privacy. Then the ****. And 1 bad attitude later your life is **.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Crazy for sure. You do have to be your own Dick Tracy in this day and age just to batten down the hatches if you can get them all.

And sort of OT but again also look at that local cable TV market (bare bones package?) and their endless assault to those poor subscribers (if you want my opinion) with the most lunacy ever of multiple goofy laden commercials which they actually pay them to participate in that indoctrination. Forget if they were viewing an interesting show. What good is it when it's interrupted multiple time with nothing but a series of mindless garbage hilarity and even a long trip to the kitchen or channel surf still isn't long enough to exhaust the time limit. (if there even is one)

I don't know how much data they can glean off of satellite TV but those mobile devices as mentioned by users who "freely share all" are pretty much wide open with the masses who take it as just something they must expect anymore.

Not happening though with people who are long fed up and actually do something about it as much as they can do.

But then yet again, the data gleaners already have a well stocked enough vast global pool, probably more than they will ever need even without the small percentage who actually make an effort and do something about it.

6. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Recently my employer (16.000 employees) banned/blocked Outlook (on our cell phones) for not guaranteeing the data was kept within the EU (read: was shared to US servers). The EU is at least trying to protect the user data to some extent.

7. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

But it wasn't always so. The notorious Data Retention Directive (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Retention_Directive) was invalidated no more than 3 years ago and had been in effect from 2006. So between 2006 - 2014 any EU citizen info was fair game.

Oh, and who's smart idea this all originally was?
    UK's Home Secretary.

But even without Data Retention Directive, if you buy anything from EU, does no matter if you live in EU or not, your IP address, what you buyed, your name, your address etc... all the customer data, is required by the shop keepers to kept for ... 10 years :eek:

All thanks to the EU new VAT law.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.