Your Remote Registry

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by hogndog, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I thought that title would get your attention but did you know that it existed? I didn't, not until today while i was doing some maintenance The description alone reads like something out of a read em and weep publication.. :argh:

Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be modified only by users on this computer. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

That first sentence "Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer"

If you don't want this enabled go to your control panel open up Administrative Tools scroll down to Remote Registry and disable it..

http://www.theeldergeek.com/remote_registry.htm

Hogndog

2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Yes, I've known about this and I disable it (it's set to manual by default). I don't know how much of a security risk it actually is, though.

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

One of the first things I disabled when I got XP back in 2002, courtesy of Black Viper

4. Doesn't it require a password and an open port?

5. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

I got to thinking about some of these services we use to look for virus malware and such and how they must tinker with our registry in order to find the bad guys.. any service that has to diagnose our machines will have to gain entrance into the most private areas of our computers, it just stands to reason, after all those Eula's we agree to must have something to say about what we will and won't allow these vendors to do, just want to be sure that we don't leave the back door open when we leave our Remote Registry on automatic or manual or anything but disabled.. ;)

6. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Hey! ...I don't even want them coming in the front door. ;) ...unless invited. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.