Your PC or laptop may have a backdoor enabled by default, millions do

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Aug 13, 2014.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://blogs.computerworld.com/malw...may-have-backdoor-enabled-default-millions-do

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Well that's just great o_O
    I checked my system for files and registry keys listed in report and didn't find anything. My computer model is also not listed on BIOS compatibility list, so I guess I'm safe.
    This is getting ridiculous. It looks like their is backdoor installed on every computer component we buy.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm going to look in the bios & see if I can disable.

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

My laptop has it and it is disabled by default. I understand that you have to buy a service from Absolute for it be operational. So if I wanted my laptop traced or rendered unusable (in case it got stolen or lost), I would need to have that service enabled.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Lenovo E525 - 3 options: Enabled / Disabled / Permanently Disabled - once disabled, it can never be enabled again. Not bad at all, unless you want to sell it later.
    It is a nice find, but calling it a backdoor is too much, you could call a backdoor any computer with preinstalled Windows or any other software with vulnerabilities.

7. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Unfortunately it has been found that even on brand new computers whose seal was broken by a knowledgeable user the Computrace was not activated by the user but within a short period of time (perhaps less than 24 hours) the software was found communicating with their own servers and this was on several computers whose owners are astute to the situation.
    For some very illuminative yet dismaying information please refer to this: http://securelist.com/analysis/publications/58278/absolute-computrace-revisited/

Best regards (in light of the current situation)

8. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx Q, that link was a good read. Lots of info to check if communication is happening or has ever occurred.

9. DX2

DX2 Guest

My Dell has it, but it's deactivated..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.