Your participation needed for an academic survey

Discussion in 'polls' started by osq_project, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osq_project

osq_project Registered Member

Dear forum users,

We are doing an academic research project on online service quality. We would be grateful if you could spare 3-5 minutes and complete our online questionnaire. The link for the questionnaire is provided below.

http://www.uwe.ac.uk/bbs/osq/

Thank you for your help and time.

P.S. The admin gave me permission to post this message.

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I stuck my neck out and did this. A brief note from Paul or one of the admin/mods here confirming that this was ok'd would be nice.

3. chew

chew Registered Member

osq_project

Why don't you use your Univ. email address like @uwe.ac.uk?

Tiscali.co.uk is not Univ email address.

Sorry I have to ask.

Chew

P/s: too many Criterion/Factor questions ... you might get more replies by reducing them to only 5 ... and try to use your proper Uni. email because anyone can put up a survey page.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, I simply allowed osq_project to start this thread, based upon a request they sent to me prior to posting it. However, that is not the same thing as me actively recommending that people participate.

I did check the webpage following a reference made over at GSF and found a very basic HTML page, meaning no active scripting and such. Of course, that was at a point in time. Pages can always be changed, so as with any links posted here, (and as you all know, there are perhaps a couple hundred links to third-party websites posted here each day), normal security precautions apply.

5. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

ACADEMICo_O? Or just a pleasent word in front of just another scam!
    Why not use your students as your test mice instead??/ Personally I use programs to prevent surveys just like this......internet spamo_O
    Anyone who goes for this should go back to privacy 101.....an begin from the beginning.

TheSnowGuy/Snowman

6. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

What is this notice about special moderation...(given after posting)
    GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY>>>don't concern yourself about censoring my post cause I wont post on this subject again. Its all yours!

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks LWM -- I wasn't really expecting a security check on their site, although if you did then so much the better. I was just looking for a confirmation of the person's claim that he/she had asked for and gotten permission to post this.

If you had a chance to look at that site I sent you last night via PM, you probably saw that they're very insistent that any kind of research, surveys, etc. looking for participation by members must be explicitly approved in writing by the site owner-operator.

8. osq_project

Hello,

I would like to answer some of the questions that have been raised here:

- I didn't use my university email address because I have had some technical problems with my university email recently which causes emails to be delivered very late.

- The questionnaire is, as you can see, hosted on the university servers. Therefore, I thought it would somewhat show that it's a legitimate survey.

- This questionnaire has been piloted twice and 10 factor boxes are decided to be better than 5 but as it says on the questionnaire the minimum required answers to that part is 5.

- Using university students for academic marketing research is usually a bad practice unless you do educational research. It severely effects your chances of being published in good journals.

Thanks.

9. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Having visited the site, I can't see this alleged "Academic Research" as anything except a marketing ploy, and nothing in your text substantiates otherwise.

I do not apologise. If you think I should, then:

:cool: Not likely
    :D Fat chance

Vote now, provided you're willing to click on your favourite ISP listed below to confirm...

10. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

CHECKOUT

Nice to see that you are as alert as always to stunts like this one.

Warm Regards

TheSnowGuy/Snowman

11. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

The survey (person??) stated:

*- Using university students for academic marketing research is usually a bad practice unless you do educational research***

Wait a second..you said it was an ACADEMIC survey......then state that its NOT EDUCATIONAL...............

Well here you do admit that its a MARKETING PLOY:

**academic marketing research * as stated by the (?)

12. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Snowy, these occasional stunts are as amusing as easy crossword puzzles...

More! More! :cool:

13. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

CHECKY.......proud of you old friend for seeing this "thing" for what it really is.........but thats what I have come to expect from the RINO.....alert discovery!!

14. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Lots of things could be said, but only just a few thoughts:

Why not posted in your first posting in this thread and at your site :

"I am a student/teacher/professor (whatever you are.....) at Bristol Business School in the UK".

I know that surveys made by interviewing people on the street, might not give such information.
    But giving people some more info on a security forum like this one, might help you ;)

"Your privacy is granted by our Business School Survey-regulations as can be read at this site (link to that site), and supervised by this authority (name and link to that one)".

I know that things as stated in Regulations might not always be sticked to the letter, but at least it would help you ;)

About your email-address:
    I can understand that time-pressure (sorry, I don't know the right English word) might play a role.
    But it surely would help if your email-address (everybody can view the source of your site) would be at your School.
    Whatever reason there is that is giving you problems for receiving emails through your School-email-address, that is a problem between you and the Bristol Business School.
    As I said, I can understand that you yourself don't like this either.
    But using an email-address of your School would be much better ;)

You know, you are here in a security forum.
    So people here might be more aware of all kind of security risks.
    We see every day here (and at other security forums) all kind of scams where people are "tricked" into another scam.
    We try to make people aware of those risks, and try to help; that's all we can do.
    That is exactly what is making people hesitating to fill in such a survey.
    Up to you to try to convince people ;)

Good luck with your survey.
    And if you're a student : best wishes with your study (and I do mean that; I teached seven years at an university) !!!

Regards, Jan.

15. osq_project

Thanks Jan about these valid points...

16. osq_project

The questionnaire's webpage was down for about 4 hours yesterday due to a problem with the university's server. It's working properly now. Sorry about this problem.

17. osq_project

Thank you everyone. I'm almost finished with my data collection but I still need about 100 more participants to achieve my target sample size.

I hope there are a few other people who wouldn't mind participating.

18. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

So would good grammar I suppose?

19. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Zing went the strings............

Play on, big ed

20. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

21. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Wasn't this very same Survey, from the very same place, by the very same person floated on this Forum some time back or has my Deja Vu Bank broken again??....... :D

Cochise, :cool:

22. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Nope. It's the "Yogi Berra Syndrome" all over again. Thanks to you and BB for keeping my Heart Monitor pinging.

Beat on, big ed

23. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Ahhhhhh!.....Our one and only adoring Fan...........we do our very best to keep you amused.........but you will have noticed,there hasn't been a great deal of material to work with of late.....but BB and I will try to glean what we can to keep us all in merry mood.............PING awaaaaay......Ya gotta keep the 'ol Heart Happy....... :D :D

Cheers, Cochise, :cool:

24. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Yep.....those ducks have been a bit slow poppin' up in 'Buck & Cochise's shooting gallery' of late.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.