Your opinion on KIS 2009 firewall not stealthing

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dread, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dread

dread Registered Member

Is stealth really that important to you? Do you feel safer with stealthed ports instead of closed ports? KIS 2009 does not stealth all ports now. What do you think and do you feel less safe cause of this? Are you going to reconsider buying KIS cause of this?

2. subset

subset Registered Member

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Why should a fully stealthed firewall interfere with emule or anything? You simply set a pair of advanced rules for the p2p ports or forward them through your router, problem solved.

Unless we're talking about some default settings, where the average joe has no clue how to allow incoming connections?

Mrk

4. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I am using KIS 2009 (8.0.0.357 TR) with Vista HP SP1 and all ports are stealthed according to GRC.com. All firewall settings are at default.

5. dread

dread Registered Member

That might be true but they did away with stealth mode. Look here or just browse their forums.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

then again they could be the firewall in your router.

7. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Stealth is a gimmic and I have never seen any use for it.

If a hacker really wants to penetrate your pc he will do it regardless of "stealth".... and I see a lot of people enquiring about connectivity problems....turns out because "stealth" was turned on.

BTW KL have not "done away" with stealth, just changed the way it operates.

You can change the packet rules in order to become "stealthed" as described here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=68104&view=findpost&p=626772

8. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

You are probably correct...forgot about the router.

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

That maybe so, but the problem is if we are to believe the principle of stealth is outdated today, as I said in the KL forums, whether you use the KIS firewall or not (either to block incoming TCP/UDP streams or block by application rule), those that have a router with its own firewall will invariably find themselves stealthed anyway at sites like grc.com.

The average Joe who does read something about computer security will think they are good to go when they see all green. I disabled my router's firewall as a test, and I was still stealthed at the aforementioned site. I learnt about changing DMZ settings to take control away from the router's firewall on these very forums.

To be honest, I haven't done so yet because my particular router advises using DMZ only as a temporary measure for troubleshooting purposes. Besides that, I would not be protected from its firewall and would not receive automatic upgrades to the router by using this feature.

It is down to choice I suspect. I could utilise DMZ and rely totally on KIS' firewall or I could use the router firewall plus KIS with its ability to keep track of outbound connections, something my router firewall cannot do.

Edit: added note

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  10. dread

dread Registered Member

Not exactly what I looking for so I will tell you what I think. Yes I feel more secure when my ports are stealthed. But I know it does not matter as long as they are closed. I know kinda of stupid but thats how I feel lol. No this will not have any impact if I do or do not buy KIS again.

11. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Stealth is not important to me.

I feel just as safe with closed or stealth ports.

I do not use KIS 2009, but I would feel just as safe.

That would not stop me from considering KIS, in fact I would consider it a plus.

12. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I can remember the first versions of KIS , how the ports were not stealthed. It was perfectly safe as they were closed. However as kaspersky av was becoming increasingly more popular amongst home users and forums such as these , they stealthed the next versions which was proberbly good marketing sense at the time. Interesting that they are returning to closed again.

13. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

The reason for this is to make the application more user friendly for p2p users. The default is that but it is very simple to change a couple of settings to get full 'stealth' readings back...if that is what floats your boat?:D

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Never mind the stealthing bit, it that Emulator thing that says everythings a Virus :eek: Idiots need to be thrashed for releasing a public candidate like this :mad:

15. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Not anymore it does not, certainly not on my setup. There was an issue. This is unfortunate and it was corrected very quickly. You IMHO were just unlucky in terms of timing...but then again this is still a beta even if a Technical (not Public) Release...and as with all betas one uses them at one own risk. C'est la vie beta!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.