Your last infection ?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by gambla, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambla

gambla Registered Member

Hi,
    i can't remember that my pc ever got infected by a virus or malware, at least that i ever got any notice of it. That surely made it worth to put some time and effort in the whole subject. When did you get infected the last and time and how did it happen ?

2. Fad

Fad Registered Member

The last one for me was a Sircam infection....about 8 years ago, or thereabouts.

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

My last and only infection was on 4/3/2003.

4. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Around 5-7 years ago. It was some java Trojan that McAfee Virusscan Enterprise missed. I was not yet a Sandboxie user when the infection occurred.

5. gambla

gambla Registered Member

Hm, all infections are some days old. So i guess you don't have any details anymore...

6. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

Win32.Sality, months ago.

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Rogue AV8, was contained by DefenseWall.

8. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Win32/Virut..(without my knowledge) Years ago .couldnt remember:rolleyes:

And with my knowledge i have made a lot of infections just for testing:D ..

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Since 2007...One Trojan if I remember correctly. :doubt:

10. gambla

gambla Registered Member

Seems so that we got some benefit for spending so much time here... :)
    I must admit i'm pretty curious if someone here got a real serious infection and how it happened that it got through his/her sec. setup.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I haven't been infected in about 10 years, but my Daughters pc was infected so bad from her kids playing on line kid games that I had to re-install Windows. Now I have them running Shadow Defender every time they go on line and all is well. Just recently my Son's kids acquired 58 infections from playing on line games, and I was able to quarantine them all with Malwarebytes saving the day.

12. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Well it was on my parents machine last year, since then I have really upgraded their security defense.

It was JavaExploit which loaded TDSS/FakeAV.

13. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I don't remember.

14. Boost

Boost Registered Member

It was a Looooooooong looooong time ago back running windows 95 or so! :argh:

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yesterday, in my virtual machine :)
    As for physical machine, about 4 years ago.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

From the web a few months ago, downloading a subway map, which was sandboxed and detected on demand by Avira and MBAM. From USB flash drives of acquaintances it happens more often but somewhat less nowadays than say 4 years ago. Browsing the Internet is not as dangerous as some people claim, it depends on really if one is intentionally looking for malware.

17. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Actually, I still have the firewall and hijack this logs from that time. Never did capture or identify the actual file involved. The file was apparently in DLL form as it utilized Rundll32.exe when it attempted to connect out. I was on dialup service at the time. The malware connected out by itself at 3am, long after we'd gone to bed. It granted itself access thru the firewall, sent out a large amount of data, apparently to a network news site IP, and apparently disappeared. The firewall logged the entire event, including the granting itself internet access, but did nothing to stop it. No AV or anti-spyware scanner ever detected the file. It was either unknown, custom made, or deleted itself after its task was done. Beyond this, I have no facts, only suspicions and circumstantial evidence as to what it was and who was responsible. Shortly afterwards, I started testing SSM, stopped using signature based security apps, and began developing the default-deny policy that I use today.

18. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

April 2007..was running Avast 4 and Comodo ver3..can't remember the virus but it shut-down avast and comodo and froze my pc. Had to do a reformat then.

19. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

It also depends a lot on what security the computer is running!

Recently I saw a computer on which a rogue AV malware dropper ran and installed two malware files which ran a fake scan. Fortunately, the user knew enough not to click "OK" to permit the rogue product to install.

The computer was running a well-known AV along with IE8, with all Windows updates.

However, the attack occurred prior to Patch Tuesday, so that there were exploits against 4 unpatched IE vulnerabilities floating around the internet.

The user was surfing when the popup appeared, so we assume the malware exploited one of the IE vulnerabilites.

I got the two malware files and they were identified as rogue alert malware.

-rich

20. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

The only time I had problem was, I believe in 1988, on my Atari 1040st. I picked up something from a BBS.

21. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

About three years ago I picked up a trojan, I think from BartPE, lost 300GB of data, fortunately able to restore most of it and the whole painful process taught me a major lesson.

I switched to Linux and Clonzilla; never looked back.

Jim

22. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Was approximately 2/3 years ago, was using Avast! 4.8, I still didn't care much for security and just clicking where they shouldn't, but Avast! detected in the Act! I was safe!

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Quite a few "infections" are detected or isolated. I'm not sure if those count.

24. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I have two major malware attacks in my system since I started using computer 3 years back. The first was Win32:petite attack and the last was Brontok worm attack. I am clean since the last 2 years.

25. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Some 4 years ago when my current computer had some active Trojan (I don't know how it got there, I was running Windows XP firewall and Avira), and my another computer had 13 trojans and a rootkit with the same setup (which I also don't know how it happened - probably got hit by one trojan downloader which downloaded the rest). After that I got interested in computer security and have never been infected since, although other people in this house have visited malicious sites or run malicious executables about once a year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.