Your favourite Virtualization software?

Discussion in 'polls' started by aigle, Feb 27, 2006.

?

what is your favourite virtualization software?

1. ShadowUser

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Deep Freeze

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. DefenceWall

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. BufferZone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. First Defence

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  6. Others( pls mention)

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So what is your favourite virtualization software( just excuse in case some of the applications is not truely from this catergory).

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Re: Your favourite Virtalization software?

I voted "other" - I have Rollback Rx.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Re: Your favourite Virtalization software?

I have to both vote for First Defense and Other as I also use Rollback and love them both.

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Peter, how do you run both? I would like to be able to run both.

5. Peter2150

You can't run them both on the same machine. I run Rollback on my desktop and FDISR on the laptop. They are not at all compatible to run together as both need to take over the master boot record.

Also keep in mind Rollback is a very different beast, in the way it interacts with your drive. I do like it and its working well for me.

Pete

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

FirstDefense for me.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ShadowUser, but I'm open for any other similar software as long it isn't based on blacklists.

8. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

would sandboxie count?

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I sm not sure but i think the technique is a bit different but I did not include it as I think it is still under development( just my persoanl feeling), and will take some time to be more useful. I do use it sometimes. ShadowUser I like most , just feel it is lighter on resources and does,t affect system performance. Used BZ just for a while. For others no experience. I want to ask rollback Rx is like Norton GoBack?

10. Fernando Villegas

Fernando Villegas Registered Member

What's virtualization software anyway? Anything that allows rollbacks (either on the disk volume scale, or on a smaller scale??)

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

VMWare has a good description of virtualization.

That said, lest confusion start to reign in the discussion, First Defense ISR and Rollback Rx do not provide a virtual environment by any reasonable definition of the term, they are a style of system backup. They are no more virtual environments than, for example, Acronis True Image.

Blue

12. controler

controler Guest

Yes Blue I do not think any of these programs are VM's. Even MS shared toolkit is just a restore type program. Don't you have to be running another OS or copy of your current OS to be in a VM?
    Only two Vm's I know of is Microsofts and VmWare.
    I have used VMware but it does take some resources, expecialy if you run a snapshot.
    Are their others?

controler

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I couldn't agree more, and even 'Horizon Datasys Inc.' the makers of 'Rollback Rx' have among other products 'Drive Vaccine' which is the exact equivalent of 'ShadowUser' in terms of rebooting and restoring your computer to the same settings as when you first started.

The programs listed in this poll for a possible comparaison are not really in the same category, and VMware is the only real virtual machine.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for clarification, as I mentioned above that all are not Virtualization utilities, thats why I did not include the RollBack Rx but I did mention FDISR due to 2 reasons, firstly infact I was not so much aware about its technique as I did not use it, and 2ndly, I feel too many people here at Wilders are using it, with good remarks so I wanted to see pool results about this as well.

So now there is one more question whivh method of system restore youy will prefer, virtualization or just going back in configuration. And what are relative merits and demerits. Too me virtualizations sound interesting, secure, and instant. What you think.

15. Peter2150

Hi Blue

Intuitively I agree with you. But it is interesting that FDISR meets two of the 3 requirements in virtualization. That said if I really wanted to run virtual machines I would use VMware myself. I know for code development while I could possibly do it with both FDISR and Rollback, VMware would be a much better way to go. For my purposes which is disaster recovery, FDISR and Rollback better serve the purpose.

Pete

16. Peter2150

I think FDISR and Rollback are far better then system restore as they cover your whole system. Each has advantages and disadvantages which were thoroughly covered in several threads. Search on Rollback

Pete

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Here I did not mean WINDOW,S SYSTEM RESTORE UTILITY. I mean any software to restore your system back to a past state.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry for bothering, but what about Acronis True Image?

19. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

I vote for DefenseWall.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

20. Peter2150

Yes you could indeed include Acronis True Image, but it really isn't in the same category. Acronis would be the only one that could recover you from hardware failure, but for software stuff it is over kill. Takes time to restore the complete image. FDISR takes two reboots and a 5 minute copy. Rollback just a reboot. Big difference in time.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.