Your favourite Desktop search?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have recently installed Google desktop search on my notebook and I really like it is comprehensive and so fast. I know many people don't like it due to privacy concerns but I am not using any of its advanced features and besides my Kerio has stopped its internet access as well. I don,t like the sidebar however and use only deskbar(taskbar) choice.

Windows search is so slow, and I don't like it. I do search for many filers on my system frequently especially when I am dealing with new softwares installation and testing( personal testing I mean- just a fun). It has nice interface and searches ur web history as well( no problem with my web history as my notebook is just for me or some very close friends and besides I have no secrets in my internet surfing!).

So let's see what you are using? and why u choosed it over others?

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I've not found that to be so.

This morning after reading an article, I looked to see where ntmsmgr.dll was. Searching in C:\ found the file in 7 seconds. (C:\WINNT\system32\ntmsmgr.dll)

This afternoon, I looked for an email I remembered receiving awhile back about Windows Vista (forgot from whom). Searching in my F:\Agent directory with "vista" in the "Containing Text" box found the email in 2 seconds.

Just before going on line, I looked for a photograph, "plant marker," to print for a brochure. It wasn't where it was supposed to be and a search of my E:\ partition where my thousands of photgraphs are stored found the file in 3 seconds

I think the clue to searching is to have a good storage system in the first place, knowing what partition your various types of data are stored on. Sure, if you search "My Computer" it's a long wait.

I voted for Windows Search.

EDIT: I made a mistake and voted for windows desktop search; should have been, "Built-in Windows Search"

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You are right. But still I wil say it is slow but not so slow. Just imagine go to start> search> put the partition name u want to search. and finally write the file name. click and then wait a bit. On the other hand just write the name of file on your deskbar and insatntaneous results, even before you finish writing the file name! If it is not a significant difference then I don,t know what you should expect more.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.