Your favourite Desktop search?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have recently installed Google desktop search on my notebook and I really like it is comprehensive and so fast. I know many people don't like it due to privacy concerns but I am not using any of its advanced features and besides my Kerio has stopped its internet access as well. I don,t like the sidebar however and use only deskbar(taskbar) choice.

Windows search is so slow, and I don't like it. I do search for many filers on my system frequently especially when I am dealing with new softwares installation and testing( personal testing I mean- just a fun). It has nice interface and searches ur web history as well( no problem with my web history as my notebook is just for me or some very close friends and besides I have no secrets in my internet surfing!).

So let's see what you are using? and why u choosed it over others?

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I've not found that to be so.

This morning after reading an article, I looked to see where ntmsmgr.dll was. Searching in C:\ found the file in 7 seconds. (C:\WINNT\system32\ntmsmgr.dll)

This afternoon, I looked for an email I remembered receiving awhile back about Windows Vista (forgot from whom). Searching in my F:\Agent directory with "vista" in the "Containing Text" box found the email in 2 seconds.

Just before going on line, I looked for a photograph, "plant marker," to print for a brochure. It wasn't where it was supposed to be and a search of my E:\ partition where my thousands of photgraphs are stored found the file in 3 seconds

I think the clue to searching is to have a good storage system in the first place, knowing what partition your various types of data are stored on. Sure, if you search "My Computer" it's a long wait.

I voted for Windows Search.

EDIT: I made a mistake and voted for windows desktop search; should have been, "Built-in Windows Search"

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You are right. But still I wil say it is slow but not so slow. Just imagine go to start> search> put the partition name u want to search. and finally write the file name. click and then wait a bit. On the other hand just write the name of file on your deskbar and insatntaneous results, even before you finish writing the file name! If it is not a significant difference then I don,t know what you should expect more.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.