Your favorite Linux distro

Discussion in 'polls' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 23, 2006.

?

What's your favorite Linux?

1. SUSE

18 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Ubuntu

128 vote(s)
    58.2%
  3. Fedora

22 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Gentoo

6 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Mandriva

7 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. Slackware

7 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. Other

62 vote(s)
    28.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    This might have been posted once - if so, feel free to annihilate it.
    Anyhow, I was wondering what distro do you lean towards? And I don't mean the desktop environment.
    Mrk

2. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

PCLinuxOS

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Done quite alot of work with Fedora project in the past. Use and like all on the list, voted for SUSE.

4. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

slackware for me.

5. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I am not in the position to make a real choice, i've only used Ubuntu up till now, so i voted for that one, at least it's better then what i used to have. :rolleyes:

Lamehand

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  6. dog

dog Guest

I voted Mandriva ... but in all reality I like all those listed (except Gentoo - which I don't dislike at all, as I've only tried to install once and failed, I haven't tried it since but I plan to again soon). While all the distros are really just different flavoured wrappers, I fell in love with Mandriva because that was the distro I was using when I finally got it and began to understand Linux beyond the basics.

Slackware is slower moving, but because of that care it's absolutely rock solid - it's also the oldest surviving distribution. I love the progressiveness Ubuntu (all flavours) brings to new users; it's likely made more in roads to making Linux accessible to new users than any other - their support and help is simply outstanding and friendly; their Shipit program adds immensely to it's accessibility and is also noteworthy. Debian deserves a lot of credit for Ubuntu successes --- for without it's packages (and a huge selection at that), Ubuntu would not have been able to achieve what they have. Debian's stance on "free" is also notable on it's own ... it's something pretty special to stick to an ideology like they do - Bravo.

All the other distros listed are solid and well implemented ... they are all truly the cream of the crop.

PCLinuxOS which is mentioned above by Meltdown, is also a friendly for new users and an excellent starter distro for those new to Linux to consider.

I can't fault anything Linux ... For what it means and what it stands for is most remarkable, as are the efforts, selfless contributions and sacrifices of every single person involved. The movement reserves so much respect and adulation for the principles of the ideology; it goes beyond its bounds in the end making the world a better place.

Steve

7. GS2

GS2 Registered Member

Ubuntu for me, ideal for those just geting into Linux

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Slackware, I've been using it for years. I was disappointed when GNOME was dumped, but there are good 3rd party replacements for it, besides I am partial to Xfce anyway.

Ubuntu is great, I've tried it, but not for me; however, Ubuntu is directly responsible for several good friends making the switch. So that gets it three thumbs up. With a thumb or two going to Debian.

Another favorite, not a Linux distro is FreeBSD.

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

From my brief experiences with Linux distro's, I haven't found any that come close to Windows' user-friendliness, nor one that didn't have driver issues with at least one of my devices (all of which work just fine in Windows)!

However, of those I've tried, my vote goes to 'SimplyMepis 6'.

10. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Arch Linux, and it has no equal for what I look for. I want a sleek system for the power user and is completely customizable. I also don't want anything done for me, so therefore no stupid GUI tools. I also want a good package manager so I don't dive into dependency hell. In addition, a fast system that is optimized for i686 is also a thing I look for. Arch provides all of these things, in addition to a great irc group and forum.

Ubuntu is nice for learning linux if you want your hand held through the process, and it has a nice and very large community.

Slackware is awesome, stable, everything that I want except no package manager, and I am way too lazy to go about getting netbsd's pkg_src onto it which would be the only acceptable way to get package management working IMO.

Gentoo is a PITA when it comes to compiling everything and major updates are awful, since you have to recompile the enter friggin system (see you tomorrow and use your pc as a space heater as the fans begin to sound like a harrier :D )

Don't forget about the rock solid BSD's which also are pretty sweet!

Linux is what you make of it. All it is is a kernel. What is added on top is for you to decide (the distro, unless you are a real guru and want LFS) One of my favorite things is the choice of WM and DE. Ratpoison has currently become my favorite due to its insane speed, and it gets rid of that mouse which slows you down! Openbox is a close second.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i voted for SUSE and (K)ubuntu because those are the two linux distros ive tried. each has its pros and cons but both id recommend.

12. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Gentoo all the way.

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i don't have a favourite, i use suse now because it was the newest distro when i did this install. ubuntu is good because it's fairly basic and doesn't have alot of gui apps to administer the system. it has great support and a really good package manager with lots of packages. i like anything which uses GTK. suse has lots of qt :(

14. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

SAM 2007.1 Linux for me. The best multilingual alternative I've tried so far, when I've tried Granular, Knoppix, (K)Ubuntu 7.04, Mandriva Free 2007 Spring, openSuSE, PCLinuxOS 2007, Sabayon 3.3b. It's based on PCLinuxOS 2007. Many times safer security solution than any antivirus available and the fastest browsing you can get with it. :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  15. fixmypcmike

fixmypcmike Registered Member

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I voted (other) PCLinuxOS-2007. Using it 95% vs XP. Got suggested, I believe from members here. :) Easiest distro in my limited exp.

http://www.pclinuxos.com

17. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

PCLinuxOS is my favorite, LinuxMint would be next in line.

Happy Linux :cool:

18. hyatt69

hyatt69 Registered Member

im using xandros right now very easy to use

19. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Right now, I'm using 3 - Puppy, DSL Linux, and Feather, ISO's all saved on my second drive - mainly because they're small downloads. I'm on the slowest dsl and don't want to spend hours downloading a distro only to find out I don't like it.

I run them in VirtualBox, which is fine except for having to set them up each time I want to use one of them, and that's no big deal.

Of the 3, I prefer Puppy.

I'll grit my teeth and take a shot at one of the monster versions one of these days, just to see what a full distro looks like. Probably PCLinux or one of the Ubuntu variations.

20. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I really like SLAX which i run off a USB flashdrive. It works just like a live cd except it loads a heck of a lot faster.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

PCLinuxOS 2007 works best for me...

22. Chuck57

I've downloaded Slax Kill Bill twice. Both times it never appeared on my other hard drive. Then, I remembered, I'd forgotten to tell Sandboxie to remind me before deleting files. DUHHHH.........

I'll give it another try tomorrow. Slax is based on Slackware. Can't hardly go wrong with that distro. I've got to play with VirtualBox some more, too, and see if I can make at least one of these distros work with my printer. I'm sure it's the virtual machine. They can't all refuse to run an HP printer.

Spent most of the evening downloading Ubuntu. Not impressed with it at all. After all those hours and all I'd heard about it, I expected more.

23. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

1. What did you expect?
    2. What are you not impressed with?
    3. Took you hours to decide that - how about try weeks?

Mrk

24. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

PC-BSD, Sabayon, Debian and Arch Linux are among my top favourites.

25. Chuck57

Poorly worded sentence..I have the slowest dsl offered and it took hours to download. I still have Ubuntu iso saved and will work with it some more, but of the those I have, Puppy seems by far the best of the lot.

Still have Ubuntu's iso and do plan to play with it more, or perhaps download another version. This version, I've discovered on looking through the various files, has no programs at all to access the Internet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.